Sprint 4.2.1

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released

Umm, no offense, but I'd be very surprised (shocked even) if the official Sprint 4.2.2 landed on our phones next week. Especially since Sprint hasn't yet released an OS update for our Nexus devices till about 2 months after it gets released to the GSM versions.
I hope you are right, but given that 4.2.2 hasn't been released to the GSM phones yet, I am not holding my breath.

(Unless you meant to say "Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out <for the GSM Nexus> with the next week or so. They <i.e...google> are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update out <for the GSM Nexus> until mid summer when android 5.0 is released. <Sprint devices should hope to get 4.2.2 when Android 5.0 gets released for GSM users>) :)

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Umm, no offense, but I'd be very surprised (shocked even) if the official Sprint 4.2.2 landed on our phones next week. Especially since Sprint hasn't yet released an OS update for our Nexus devices till about 2 months after it gets released to the GSM versions.
I hope you are right, but given that 4.2.2 hasn't been released to the GSM phones yet, I am not holding my breath.

(Unless you meant to say "Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out <for the GSM Nexus> with the next week or so. They <i.e...google> are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update out <for the GSM Nexus> until mid summer when android 5.0 is released. <Sprint devices should hope to get 4.2.2 when Android 5.0 gets released for GSM users>) :)

This sounds more accurate.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
As soon I get more details I will let you guys know. I was just passing down for some info that was shared with me. I believe there will be a 4.2.2 update maybe the timeline could be off? But like I was told 4.2.2 would be last version released after that Android 5.0 should be released mid-summer too us. The understand I got that 4.2.2 is minor update with system preformance patch mostly. So I am hoping I might get more details

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe there will be a 4.2.2 update maybe the timeline could be off? But like I was told 4.2.2 would be last version released after that Android 5.0 should be released mid-summer too us.
That, I agree. I do expect Sprint/Google to release 4.2.2 to us in a couple of months (or so) after it is released to GSM users (any day now) - likely, just about the time that 5.0 is being made available for the GSM users ;)

You are correct - 4.2.2 should mainly be fixes (like BT media streaming, and security updates etc) - no major feature being added, from what I've read.

As soon I get more details I will let you guys know. I was just passing down for some info that was shared with me.
Thank you. Updates are always appreciated :)

nick.james

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been running 4.2.1 for a week now and have found it less stable than 4.1.1. When signal (cell or wifi) is minimal and I answer a call phone locks up, screen goes blank, and requires battery pull. Another instance, browsing a video server on wifi and get to far away from access point, pressed back button one time, same thing. I can see the dev has done a lot on the back end to make services similar or more compatible with other devices. The most recent I noticed is group messaging is now a MMS, whoopie. There is enough front end changes that make me regret updating to 4.2.1, don't get me wrong, I like the stopwatch and the timer, but when the ease of access to get to alarms is more than 1 click and is a tiny icon in the corner of the screen, c'mon.

There have been changes for the better, but its still broke. What happened to not being beta testers any more? Was that another carrier?

I walked into an ATT store a few weeks ago and found a galaxy note running 2.3.5. Really!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Nope must have the latest firmware before accepting any OTA firmware updates. every update that is issued always has info what the update is
You will need to have 4.2.1 installed so when 4.2.2 is released then you will be able to accept the updates

Based on this, those of you having problems with 4.2 could do a factory reset and update the phone only back to 4.1.1?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have had the update for a few days and haven't had any issues at all. I did go through and delete some rarely used apps and updated the rest. My phone has never had the hardware or software problems others have had, ::shrugs:: Just lucky I guess. ;)

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

eps1lon3

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
i did a factory reset after going about a day with the OTA so that it would maybe stop my laggy wake/lock issues. it didn't, but my phone's battery life has improved significantly and iv never had any other software issues.

Brettbesa

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm baffled. Saturday, I got comfortably 2 hrs of on screen time, just inexplicably. Sunday, 2 and a half! Today, I'm on track for 1 hr. No change in usage, no apps installed or uninstalled. For some reason, on the weekends, I get great battery life and on the weekdays, not so much. What on Earth?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Based on this, those of you having problems with 4.2 could do a factory reset and update the phone only back to 4.1.1?

Assuming one had done OTA to get to 4.2.1, factory reset on that phone with stock 4.2.1 will not change the OS version. It will reload 4.2.1

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

You will have to use ODIN and Flash FH05 firmware and FH05 Radios.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Assuming one had done OTA to get to 4.2.1, factory reset on that phone with stock 4.2.1 will not change the OS version. It will reload 4.2.1

What??? Not following. A) Were there phones that started at 4.2.1? B) why would you do an OTA to the version you started with? Why would you even get one pushed to your phone?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
You will have to use ODIN and Flash FH05 firmware and FH05 Radios.

Huh? Why would you have to do this to factory reset? If you are a basic user (read not rooted and not ever planning to because you don't care that much about this stuff. You just want a phone that works.) and you are kicking yourself for updating to 4.2.1, wouldn't a factory reset take you back to the original configuration of your phone? My assumption is that if you are rooted, you have other ways of reverting to the previous version. This was a possible solution for everyone else.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Huh? Why would you have to do this to factory reset? If you are a basic user (read not rooted and not ever planning to because you don't care that much about this stuff. You just want a phone that works.) and you are kicking yourself for updating to 4.2.1, wouldn't a factory reset take you back to the original configuration of your phone? My assumption is that if you are rooted, you have other ways of reverting to the previous version. This was a possible solution for everyone else.

All a factory reset does is erase everything from the phone. It doesn't revert the software. Once you install 4.2.1 you'll have to use ODIN or ADB to revert back to 4.1.1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
All a factory reset does is erase everything from the phone. It doesn't revert the software. Once you install 4.2.1 you'll have to use ODIN or ADB to revert back to 4.1.1.

Got it. Really making sure then not to accidentally install.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What??? Not following. A) Were there phones that started at 4.2.1? B) why would you do an OTA to the version you started with? Why would you even get one pushed to your phone?

There are other ways to get to 4.2.1 - example, root and install a custom ROM, or sideload. So, my answer was specific to the ones who did OTA to get to 4.2.1 (unrooted). Factory reset on the stock 4.2.1 ROM doesn't change your OS version back to 4.1.1 - it will stay 4.2.1

On Custom ROMs, it should be the same behavior, but since it is a custom ROM, the developer may have provided the ability to factory reset back to a previous version (custom 'factory reset') - I can't speak for those.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
There are other ways to get to 4.2.1 - example, root and install a custom ROM, or sideload. So, my answer was specific to the ones who did OTA to get to 4.2.1 (unrooted). Factory reset on the stock 4.2.1 ROM doesn't change your OS version back to 4.1.1 - it will stay 4.2.1

On Custom ROMs, it should be the same behavior, but since it is a custom ROM, the developer may have provided the ability to factory reset back to a previous version (custom 'factory reset') - I can't speak for those.

Yeah, I get it now. I just wish they would fix 4.2.1 and then we won't have to worry about how to get rid of it.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Google has acknowledged the random reboot issue and said it's an OS level problem, so ing at Sprint and throwing a tantrum won't help you. From what I understand, rooting and using a custom ROM may help. Google is working on a fix.

I have experienced a few random reboots on my Sprint GNex, maybe 3 times since I updated to 4.2 a week or so ago. A bit annoying but not a daily occurrence or anything. I can live with it until the fix is pushed out.

My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Google has acknowledged the random reboot issue and said it's an OS level problem, so ing at Sprint and throwing a tantrum won't help you. From what I understand, rooting and using a custom ROM may help. Google is working on a fix.

I have experienced a few random reboots on my Sprint GNex, maybe 3 times since I updated to 4.2 a week or so ago. A bit annoying but not a daily occurrence or anything. I can live with it until the fix is pushed out.

My "temper tantrum" as you put is far from that. My complaining to Sprint involved the fact that their network makes my phone reach 137?. Also, once Sprint put their name on the back of this thing they are responsible for it's upkeep. Yes, I know Google makes the software, but again Sprint bought the supply of them and put their stamp of approval on it. Why do you think I've been through 5 of these since April of 2012. BTW, my screen is now becoming even more unresponsive when I'm trying to type. Feels like the phone is trying to fall apart.

Last edited: