Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Justin Cardwell
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

Default Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?

Since updating to 4.2 on Sunday, I've been having pretty horrible battery life.. I've attached a few of the battery monitor screens from today. Anyone else seeing significantly reduced battery life? My phone has been pretty hot all the time, even when not in use over the past few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?-screenshot_2013-02-05-13-46-54.png   Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?-screenshot_2013-02-05-13-46-48.png   Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?-screenshot_2013-02-05-13-20-24.png  

Default Re: Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?

Did you upgrade this using OTA? I had the same problem . Until I flashed GA02 radio and firmware using ODIN and after I did all of that I did a factory reset and I am heavy user and get about 10 hrs on a full battery. Hope this helps you
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

I did upgrade OTA. How would I go about downloading and flashing the needed radio and firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by viper42391 View Post
    I did upgrade OTA. How would I go about downloading and flashing the needed radio and firmware?
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

here is a post you may want to read.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

Okay, I'm a little stuck here.. I have flashed back to stock FH05, but now I can't find out how to flash the new update again. The stock recovery only allows via USB drive or ADB and my drivers work when the phone is on, but when it's in recovery, it isn't detected, so I can't sideload the new update via ADB
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

I got the update to work.. Now I'm on GA02 but have no baseband, so no service. Looking for the 4.2 radio to flash.. Anyone have a link handy?

Quote Originally Posted by viper42391 View Post
    I got the update to work.. Now I'm on GA02 but have no baseband, so no service. Looking for the 4.2 radio to flash.. Anyone have a link handy?
    check your pm .

ROM
    DanteROM

Here's how I updated to GA02:

1) download and install GNex toolkit from XDA thread from

2) from 4.1.1 image on google's servers, rename file from link to update.zip and place on the phone via usb transfer link:

3) use toolkit to reboot phone into fastboot mode

4) use toolkit to temp boot to a custom recovery (I used cwm), then flash update.zip. After reboot, you are on 4.2.1 and stock recovery. This assumes you are already unlocked. I did a final factory restore for good measure.

You could do all this manually, but I use the toolbox, as I have enough commands in my brain (thanks Cisco...). Battery life seems normal to me, no major issues here.

did the OS Update turn on your LTE? you may already know this but if you are not in an LTE market it is best for battery life to turn off LTE and select CDMA only. otherwise the LTE radio is constantly searching for LTE signals that are not to be found.

good luck.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

Thanks all.. I wasn't thinking evidently and going into recovery mode, then trying to use fastboot Got the cdma and LTE radios flashed and back up and running. Thinking of rooting now that the phone is wiped so I can use tethering.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

Much, Much better today...

Horrible Battery Life on 4.2?-screenshot_2013-02-06-11-58-03.png

I am taking the file i sent you with radios flashed with no problems
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    gROM 2.1

Yeah, I finally realized what I was doing wrong after a few hours of troubleshooting.. I was trying to use Fastboot to flash the radios, but going past fastboot mode into recovery. Once I realized this, it worked

I wouldn't say mine is horrible, but it's been... inconsistent at best. Last Saturday, I got 2h on screen time with LTE turned on, but connected to Wifi all day. I turned 4G off to see if I could get even more battery, but then it tanked. I've been getting about 1-1.5 hrs on screen time connected to Wifi all day, this week so far. Not sure what the difference is. Could it be an app? I'm not seeing anything unusual in my battery settings, screen using up the biggest percent. What do you guys think?

Try 2x battery.This may not be the best fix but it is a great app. It really only does one thing, which it turning off mobile data when screen is off but it does it well. Back on 4.1 the best set up I had got was 4hrs and 2 mins of on-screen time and 13h 27m 34s on battery.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by bugz_92 View Post
    Try 2x battery.This may not be the best fix but it is a great app. It really only does one thing, which it turning off mobile data when screen is off but it does it well. Back on 4.1 the best set up I had got was 4hrs and 2 mins of on-screen time and 13h 27m 34s on battery.

I would use juice defender before 2x battery I've used both and by far JD works the best not to mention 2x battery was using to much ram and was stopping some of my phone calls.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I would use juice defender before 2x battery I've used both and by far JD works the best not to mention 2x battery was using to much ram and was stopping some of my phone calls.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    I checked it is only using like 6.4 mb. And who cares about RAM anymore, with the Gnex? That is a less than 1GB phone problem. I have yet to worry about it since I got this phone. And I used both as well, and I could never really trust JD because so many of their features were turned off or restricted(free version ) I just felt like "was I really helping my battery"? 2x battery is so simple, I had the chance to talk to the developer and he was very helpful and made me realize that the algorithm he is using is a lot more complex than just turning the data on and off, because he checks the data coming in and out it knows not to cut it off when it is in the middle of sending/retrieving, which is what self made Tasker programs can not do.

P.S. Thank you so very much! Because of you I was able to check my ram and find the issue to my problem to the thread I made today!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    Did you upgrade this using OTA? I had the same problem . Until I flashed GA02 radio and firmware using ODIN and after I did all of that I did a factory reset and I am heavy user and get about 10 hrs on a full battery. Hope this helps you
    I flashed it. I have a much improved signal in my area.
    tommyjoesanders likes this.

IDLE... with sync, gps on, and pretty much every default setting on everything and every app I get like 10-15 hours. If my phone is near 100% and I use it non stop within a one hour period either texting back and forth, checking and typing an email, web browsing, downloading apps, playing NBA JAM (sorry I just love this damn game on Android haha) then it does fairly quick. I can do a mixture of all those things within an hour and die within 3-4 hours. I have the extended battery I got from the Sprint website and I have hardly had to whip it out as the stock battery seems to last me a day. If anyone has yet to decide on whether to buy the extended battery Sprint offers I would not get it unless it was for the 6.50 deal that is out there since it seems the extended battery is worse than the original stock battery. Who knows though it may just be that I have not used it much