Anyone else hate 4.2.1

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing bad things about this update...I guess I'll wait for the next one.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any performance issues with 4.2.1, and am not missing any features that were present in previous version (4.1.1). I really like the fact that it lets me start up the camera without having to unlock the phone, and also like the expandable notifications.
So, I guess I like the updated OS.

The one thing that I miss (which sadly was missing on 4.1.1 also) is bluetooth MAP profile.

@Justin I noticed your other thread where you indicated that you 'changed the frequency' - are you over/under clocking your processor? Custom ROM? If so, maybe that has something to do with the issues you are noticing...?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing bad things about this update...I guess I'll wait for the next one.
But how do you get the update to go away?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My completely stock G'Nex has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. My processor get over 130? and horrible system lag. This update is garbage! :mad: This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me I'd have to go through 5 of the same device before the could move me to a different phone. They had better give me an S3/Note 2/Optimus G...those are the only ones they have that are comparable to the G'Nex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My completely stock G'Nex has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. My processor get over 130? and horrible system lag. This update is garbage! :mad: This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me I'd have to go through 5 of the same device before the could move me to a different phone. They had better give me an S3/Note 2/Optimus G...those are the only ones they have that are comparable to the G'Nex.

Unfortunately unless you get a store rep or custom care rep over the phone to approve the over ride in the system they are only going to give you a comparable priced models to your Gnex. The SGSIII, Note 2 and Optimus G don't compare price speaking.

Trust me I've been down this road before. Two weeks worth of refurbs and dozens of phone calls to various managers and reps and I ended up moving from my Epic 4g to the NS4G at the time because it was the best of the picks I had. I couldn't even get them to do an exchange/pro rate to get into a higher cost device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
But how do you get the update to go away?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Lol...that was a question I was about to ask here. It doesn't go away. When the update message randomly pops up asking for an update I just keep hitting install later. I'd rather deal with that than random reboots and overheating issues for sure.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather deal with that than random reboots and overheating issues for sure.
Agreed. And let's not forget crappier battery life and radio issues.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's the price we pay for purchasing a Nexus device. We are basically test pilots for Google and the OEM's/carriers.

Now you can kind of understand why carriers sit back and wait so long to send out updates to a branded device like the SGSIII.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

rogue app or bad setting? IMO we'd see a lot more similar complaints if it was the fault of the OS Update.

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine is great. 4.2.1 is great. The lockscreen isn't laggy at all.

I suggest you do a factory reset if you have troubles. I've found most people install weird apps like task managers (which are entirely a waste of time) and the apps are the culprit, not the OS.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I suggest you do a factory reset if you have troubles. I've found most people install weird apps like task managers (which are entirely a waste of time) and the apps are the culprit, not the OS.

Factory reset didn't help the first time I did it. No task magnets or weird apps. Check the article I posted.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

it is a PIA but i always do a factory wipe reset then a manual restore after every OS Update as a matter of standard practice. i have found that starting fresh like this minimizes any transition bugs.

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I found this link...just a little more insight on how 4.2.1 sucks. Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the update notification to download 4.2.1?

forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/231630-keep-4-1-2-upgrade-4-2-1-a.html

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Seems to be varying opinions on how to disable it but in the end it still returns.

Seems like one way everyone can agree on is root and install a custom ROM.

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset didn't help the first time I did it. No task magnets or weird apps. Check the article I posted.

The article you posted is severly outdated. It's dated Dec 12 2012. My phone hasn't rebooted yet. I think maybe your phone is just defective. My location services are on, on my phone. I dunno. :-/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton