Anyone else hate 4.2.1

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The article you posted is severly outdated. It's dated Dec 12 2012. My phone hasn't rebooted yet. I think maybe your phone is just defective. My location services are on, on my phone. I dunno. :-/

Severely outdated to what? Most people just got 4.2 or 4.2.1 in the past few weeks. The article isn't even two months old. It will be just as relevant six months from now when the rest of the android phones finally get it and they haven't released a fix for the many problems.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My overheating problems happened before the update and still continue with the update. Now my phone has worse radio issues than before. If its really bad tomorrow, I have a trouble ticket in place with sprint for when I go into Vegas on Friday to hopefully get a better phone. This is starting to drive me crazy. 4 phones in less than a year is outrageous. I only had 2 EVO Shifts in the 2 years I had that line.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My overheating problems happened before the update and still continue with the update. Now my phone has worse radio issues than before. If its really bad tomorrow, I have a trouble ticket in place with sprint for when I go into Vegas on Friday to hopefully get a better phone. This is starting to drive me crazy. 4 phones in less than a year is outrageous. I only had 2 EVO Shifts in the 2 years I had that line.

I'm with you on the overheating. This thing has always gotten ridiculously hot. My first on I had reached around 127, one I have now has gotten up to 132?.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be varying opinions on how to disable it but in the end it still returns.
So yesterday every time I turned on my phone the update pop-up would be there. It then caused my phone to crash so I had to do a "restart" which I've never done but the phone asked which made me worry I'd installed by accident. (I hadn't thank goodness.) But then this AM, I swiped the notification away in the notification area and it hasn't come back. I'm fine doing that once a day if that's it.

So try restarting and instead of "opening the notification" and saying install later, swipe it away. Don't know if it will work for all or for more than a day, but worth a shot.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I like it but been getting random restarts, which I never did before. Frustrating if had apps opened you needed only to find it restarted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

eps1lon3

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I feel like the update has made waking and locking the phone pretty slow. Even with the lockscreen off it was still pretty slow compared to 4.1.1 =/ And this is before and after a full reset.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've had is that Google Maps likes to lock on the GPS, which sucks my battery. I sideloaded it with no issues.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No problems here. Had the OTA since last Thursday. No random reboots, no overheating. Still smooth and snappy. Battery life improved. All good here. But then again, I never had any of the radio, speaker, etc issues that others have had. Lucky? ::shrugs:: Don't know, but I'm happy with it.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. Had the OTA since last Thursday. No random reboots, no overheating. Still smooth and snappy. Battery life improved. All good here. But then again, I never had any of the radio, speaker, etc issues that others have had. Lucky? ::shrugs:: Don't know, but I'm happy with it.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

+1

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Got the update last week, two issues,

first, intermittent Wifi cutting out and has to be restarted. (So far not while I was online with the phone.)

Second the memory management is much worse than with 4.1.1. I am not a heavy user and do not twitter or facebook or play games. prior ro 4.2.1. after a reboot I started out with over 300mb of memory free. then after a day or so it would drop to between 260MB-280 MB free.

With 4.2.1 it still starts out with over 300 Mb free but quickly drops to 150-190 MB free. I would not be surprised to find out that those who are having the random reboots are heavy users and the cause is they are running out of available memory.

* almost forgot, my Gnex now has the same annoying bug for auto brightness dimming and brightening sporadically that my Nexus 7 does. (Also running 4.2.1)

Last edited:

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Got the update last week, two issues,

first, intermittent Wifi cutting out and has to be restarted. (So far not while I was online with the phone.)

Second the memory management is much worse than with 4.1.1. I am not a heavy user and do not twitter or facebook or play games. prior ro 4.2.1. after a reboot I started out with over 300mb of memory free. then after a day or so it would drop to between 260MB-280 MB free.

With 4.2.1 it still starts out with over 300 Mb free but quickly drops to 150-190 MB free. I would not be surprised to find out that those who are having the random reboots are heavy users and the cause is they are running out of available memory.

* almost forgot, my Gnex now has the same annoying bug for auto brightness dimming and brightening sporadically that my Nexus 7 does. (Also running 4.2.1)

In conclusion, 4.2.1 sucks. So glad I never hit that install button.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Same here. This device has ran like a dream since day one and still continues to shine. It does suck that so many are having problems though.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any performance issues with 4.2.1, and am not missing any features that were present in previous version (4.1.1). I really like the fact that it lets me start up the camera without having to unlock the phone, and also like the expandable notifications.
So, I guess I like the updated OS.

Update: My bluetooth connection seems to be flaky now - occasionally, it just drops the BT connection to my car's receiver. Ugh! Guess I'll have to wait for the BT fixes in 4.2.2, whenever that gets pushed to Sprint users

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie