Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Anyone else hate 4.2.1

I think google ruined android 4.2 with lockscreen widgets. I loved 4.1 lockscreen and now i hate 4.2.

Default Re: Anyone else hate 4.2.1

you might be interested in this app -

Lockscreen Policy
    Chislon Chow

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...keyguard&hl=en

I like the features but its definitely not as smooth as 4.1

I keep hearing bad things about this update...I guess I'll wait for the next one.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The 4.2.1 ruined my Nexus 7. It used to run smoothly and now it has so much lag.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I haven't noticed any performance issues with 4.2.1, and am not missing any features that were present in previous version (4.1.1). I really like the fact that it lets me start up the camera without having to unlock the phone, and also like the expandable notifications.
    So, I guess I like the updated OS.

The one thing that I miss (which sadly was missing on 4.1.1 also) is bluetooth MAP profile.

@Justin I noticed your other thread where you indicated that you 'changed the frequency' - are you over/under clocking your processor? Custom ROM? If so, maybe that has something to do with the issues you are noticing...?

Quote Originally Posted by acr456 View Post
    I keep hearing bad things about this update...I guess I'll wait for the next one.
    But how do you get the update to go away?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

My completely stock G'Nex has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. My processor get over 130 and horrible system lag. This update is garbage! This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me I'd have to go through 5 of the same device before the could move me to a different phone. They had better give me an S3/Note 2/Optimus G...those are the only ones they have that are comparable to the G'Nex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    My completely stock G'Nex has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. My processor get over 130 and horrible system lag. This update is garbage! This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me I'd have to go through 5 of the same device before the could move me to a different phone. They had better give me an S3/Note 2/Optimus G...those are the only ones they have that are comparable to the G'Nex.

Unfortunately unless you get a store rep or custom care rep over the phone to approve the over ride in the system they are only going to give you a comparable priced models to your Gnex. The SGSIII, Note 2 and Optimus G don't compare price speaking.

Trust me I've been down this road before. Two weeks worth of refurbs and dozens of phone calls to various managers and reps and I ended up moving from my Epic 4g to the NS4G at the time because it was the best of the picks I had. I couldn't even get them to do an exchange/pro rate to get into a higher cost device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    But how do you get the update to go away?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    Lol...that was a question I was about to ask here. It doesn't go away. When the update message randomly pops up asking for an update I just keep hitting install later. I'd rather deal with that than random reboots and overheating issues for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by acr456 View Post
    I'd rather deal with that than random reboots and overheating issues for sure.
    Agreed. And let's not forget crappier battery life and radio issues.

I guess it's the price we pay for purchasing a Nexus device. We are basically test pilots for Google and the OEM's/carriers.

Now you can kind of understand why carriers sit back and wait so long to send out updates to a branded device like the SGSIII.

Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

rogue app or bad setting? IMO we'd see a lot more similar complaints if it was the fault of the OS Update.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    rogue app or bad setting? IMO we'd see a lot more similar complaints if it was the fault of the OS Update.
    Here's an article posted a couple of months ago regarding the reboot issue. Doesn't seem like it's been fixed to me.

http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...x-soon-136835/

If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Mine is great. 4.2.1 is great. The lockscreen isn't laggy at all.

I suggest you do a factory reset if you have troubles. I've found most people install weird apps like task managers (which are entirely a waste of time) and the apps are the culprit, not the OS.
    Ham!

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post

I suggest you do a factory reset if you have troubles. I've found most people install weird apps like task managers (which are entirely a waste of time) and the apps are the culprit, not the OS.
    Factory reset didn't help the first time I did it. No task magnets or weird apps. Check the article I posted.

it is a PIA but i always do a factory wipe reset then a manual restore after every OS Update as a matter of standard practice. i have found that starting fresh like this minimizes any transition bugs.
    Justin Cardwell likes this.

I found this link...just a little more insight on how 4.2.1 sucks. Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the update notification to download 4.2.1?

forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/231630-keep-4-1-2-upgrade-4-2-1-a.html

Seems to be varying opinions on how to disable it but in the end it still returns.

Seems like one way everyone can agree on is root and install a custom ROM.

Paul

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Factory reset didn't help the first time I did it. No task magnets or weird apps. Check the article I posted.

The article you posted is severly outdated. It's dated Dec 12 2012. My phone hasn't rebooted yet. I think maybe your phone is just defective. My location services are on, on my phone. I dunno. :-/
    Ham!

The article you posted is severly outdated. It's dated Dec 12 2012. My phone hasn't rebooted yet. I think maybe your phone is just defective. My location services are on, on my phone. I dunno. :-/
    Severely outdated to what? Most people just got 4.2 or 4.2.1 in the past few weeks. The article isn't even two months old. It will be just as relevant six months from now when the rest of the android phones finally get it and they haven't released a fix for the many problems.

CaMelGuY1337 likes this.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

My overheating problems happened before the update and still continue with the update. Now my phone has worse radio issues than before. If its really bad tomorrow, I have a trouble ticket in place with sprint for when I go into Vegas on Friday to hopefully get a better phone. This is starting to drive me crazy. 4 phones in less than a year is outrageous. I only had 2 EVO Shifts in the 2 years I had that line.

Current Device: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean 4.2.1
    Previous Devices: HTC Evo Shift 4G & iPhone 3GS 16GB

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by mij9895 View Post
    My overheating problems happened before the update and still continue with the update. Now my phone has worse radio issues than before. If its really bad tomorrow, I have a trouble ticket in place with sprint for when I go into Vegas on Friday to hopefully get a better phone. This is starting to drive me crazy. 4 phones in less than a year is outrageous. I only had 2 EVO Shifts in the 2 years I had that line.

I'm with you on the overheating. This thing has always gotten ridiculously hot. My first on I had reached around 127, one I have now has gotten up to 132.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Seems to be varying opinions on how to disable it but in the end it still returns.
    So yesterday every time I turned on my phone the update pop-up would be there. It then caused my phone to crash so I had to do a "restart" which I've never done but the phone asked which made me worry I'd installed by accident. (I hadn't thank goodness.) But then this AM, I swiped the notification away in the notification area and it hasn't come back. I'm fine doing that once a day if that's it.

So try restarting and instead of "opening the notification" and saying install later, swipe it away. Don't know if it will work for all or for more than a day, but worth a shot.

Swiping works just fine for me.

gnr_2 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast