USB Charging problem since upgrade to 4.2.1

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Every night, I plug my phone into my laptop to tether (can't seem to get bluetooth to work). Since upgrading to 4.2.1, my phone says it is plugged into USB & Charging but yet it is actually discharging. It seems that it is discharging slowly. I'm thinking that it is charging but not as fast as it is using the power. Settings>Battery shows Charging (USB) but "Battery Monitor Widget" says it is USB plugged but Discharging. Shows Estimated: -200mA

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Every night, I plug my phone into my laptop to tether (can't seem to get bluetooth to work). Since upgrading to 4.2.1, my phone says it is plugged into USB & Charging but yet it is actually discharging. It seems that it is discharging slowly. I'm thinking that it is charging but not as fast as it is using the power. Settings>Battery shows Charging (USB) but "Battery Monitor Widget" says it is USB plugged but Discharging. Shows Estimated: -200mA

All I can add is that the Bluetooth problem is a known issue with 4.2.1. Haven't heard about this other thing. Is it possible you have the cord in a non-powered USB port?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This may not be the situation with you, but with my wifes old laptop, the ports on the side would only charge with 500ma, the rear ports would put out 1000ma (1a). If I tried to tether with the side port, the wifi and cell radio would draw slightly more than the charge rate. It would drop very slowly, but it would drop. If I used the rear ports, it would charge very slowly, but charge. I've also noticed that If I plugged my phone into my laptop (which has all 1a ports), it would charge very slowly until I put the drivers in. As if it needed to know what was plugged in so it didn't over-run the device. 500ma is the "standard" amperage for USB ports.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The 500mA port issue is a good thought but this is the same port that I have been using. I started USB tethering when I upgraded to 4.1.1 which killed my wifi tethering. It would charge fine with 4.1.1 but now, since upgrading to 4.2.1 this problem arose. Another thought, I had to install the WugFresh Toolkit on my laptop to upgrade (OTA failed). Is there any possibility that this could cause an issue?

dakota.breeden

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have this EXACT same problem, I can't charge with usb, or car chargers, it just discharges! Last night I was using a wall charger that was putting out
2 amps! and it was still discharging! But that might be because of the rom I was using. IDK it just sucks.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully, mine charges just fine with an AC or DC charger. It just won't charge enough over USB. The Battery Monitor Widget usually says around -40mA when I have it plugged in USB with PDAnet+ running. Not horrible, but not good either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20