Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default having trouble connecting to home WiFi

OK, I can't figure this out. My name phone isn't having any trouble connecting to any other WiFi except my home WiFi. It will connect but then the WiFi icon turns grey and I can't download any data. I have connected both with WPA and WPS with the same results. I can't figure out if its something with my phone or the router. I am running 4.2.1 JB and my router is an Arris 852G. Any thoughts?

Default Re: having trouble connecting to home WiFi

Something is blocking your connection not to the router, but from the router to the internet. Have you setup MAC filtering on your router and didn't enter your phones MAC address into it?
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have manually entered my static IP and Mac address into my router and it still didn't work. I have tried disabling WPS encryption with no luck.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Technically, WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) is not encryption - it is just a utility that makes it easy to get a user connected to a router that has an encrypted connection.

Regarding your issue, can you check your gateway and DNS entries on your phone and see if the gateway matches your gateway address? (your gateway will usually be your wireless router's IP address - unless your wireless router is connected to another router that acts as the gateway)

For troubleshooting, can you switch to DHCP and see if that solves your problem?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I tried both dhcp and static and made sure the IP matched up.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Are other devices able to connect to this router? If so, can you check the gateway address on both to see if they match?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

yep, other devices connect with no problem, and the gateway address is the same on the laptop as in my phone, subnet mask as well as DNS addresses match up. the only thing that is different is the individual IP addresses, but they're supposed to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by mclause112 View Post
    yep, other devices connect with no problem, and the gateway address is the same on the laptop as in my phone, subnet mask as well as DNS addresses match up. the only thing that is different is the individual IP addresses, but they're supposed to be different.
    Did you try rebooting your phone?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sorry - no idea what else could be wrong.

At this point, we know three things. The wifi on your phone connects to other access points. Other devices can connect to your home wireless. Your phone won't connect to your home wifi. If you've rebooted your phone, the next step is to hard reset your router, if it was issued by your provider, you may need to contact them for the procedure.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ratsttam View Post
    At this point, we know three things. The wifi on your phone connects to other access points. Other devices can connect to your home wireless. Your phone won't connect to your home wifi. If you've rebooted your phone, the next step is to hard reset your router, if it was issued by your provider, you may need to contact them for the procedure.
    correct, but alas, I have hard reset my router many times with no luck. Sprint wanted me to do a factory reset of the phone, but I doubt that will fix it because it connects to other wifis. I'm gonna take it into the Sprint store to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by mclause112 View Post
    correct, but alas, I have hard reset my router many times with no luck. Sprint wanted me to do a factory reset of the phone, but I doubt that will fix it because it connects to other wifis. I'm gonna take it into the Sprint store to see what they say.
    Have you tried deleting the Wifi setup for your home wifi from the phone (clicking forget it) and then manually entering the SSID and password?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.