Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: 4.3 update

Yeah my nexus will finally get an update. Now I just need one for my HP slate 7

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by billinthegrill View Post
    I didn't want to wait, so rooted and flashed quickly...
    I didn't want to wait either, but you do not need to root... Just an FYI for those people who do not want to root and are on stock everything, you can also update easily with a few adb commands and stock recovery. See my written guide or qbking77's video.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
    I can't imagine there are that many of us, but the press release said over the next 10-20 days or whatever...I did the typical google framework clear cache/data with no luck. I'm in Ohio if that matters...Not sure how they push it out. I got mine on launch day, so you'd think earlier sku's would get it first, but apparently not.

For those that got the update...were you on wifi or sprints network? One time it wouldn't let me update when I was on wifi, but may have been a coincidence.
    be careful with the "Google Service Framework--->Clear Data/Cache" trick. when i do that it removes my device from the Android Device Manager (i only see "No Active Devices") and then only way i can get it back on is a hard reset - despite trying the alleged "fixes".

also - in the past - whenever i updated the OS to the next major version i would lose "PUSH" Gmail. i could still get Gmails - but i would have to manually refresh for them. the only fix was a hard reset.

PSA: DO NOT clear data for Google Services Framework in hopes of getting OTA faster

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ogle_services/

Clearing Google Services Framework data is never a good idea.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2303434
    Thanked by:

I got the ota seems to be running smooth. The only issues I've seen is every now and then under settings/about phone/status it shows PRL unknown. Yet you can enter *#*#RTN#*#* and go to veiw and it shows it there. The other minnor thing I've seen is when turning off the phone I see a line flicker about 3/4 of the way up the screen. Both Gnex's I own do it.

Anyonje notice any better battery life? Mine seems about the same, maybe a few % better, but I have a 3800 extended aftermarket battery. When I first got my phone and had the extended battery my phone seemed to last a LONG time, but nowadays even the 3800 battery only lasts me 8-10 hours from 100-0. I only push 1 gmail & 2 mail that are set hourly. I am usually on wifi too.

I am thinking of going back to factory and starting fresh only installing the apps I "really" use. Anyone think doing a factory reset is the way to go? I've been a day 1 purchaser so I figure the updates probably slow the phone down over time and all the content its been saving etc. I have 4.1, 4.2. 4.3 or whatever it started at. Surely it makes it lag over time.

Any insight to a factory restore gaining back battery usage vs an 1-2 year old phone being bogged down?

As a 2nd update...I think I have ran into the bug that doesnt let your phone auto reconnect to wifi or data dies if you enter/leave a 4g zone...looks to be a 4.3 issue even before the sprint update...Probably an intentional bug to make people have to buy a nexus 5. Its a pretty irritating thing so far after just a few days.

As a 2nd update...I think I have ran into the bug that doesnt let your phone auto reconnect to wifi or data dies if you enter/leave a 4g zone...looks to be a 4.3 issue even before the sprint update...Probably an intentional bug to make people have to buy a nexus 5. Its a pretty irritating thing so far after just a few days.
    Yes - I have seen the same exact issue. I did not have this prior to the 4.3 update. I may just go back to the previous version - lucky I backed it up. Right now, each time I switch into/out of 4G, I need to go to airplane mode and back to get data connection again.

I'm waiting for a custom 4.3 since I need tethering. Is it reasonable to assume that this is an issue that the custom ROM devs would fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    I'm waiting for a custom 4.3 since I need tethering. Is it reasonable to assume that this is an issue that the custom ROM devs would fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    It depends on where the issue is. If it is with the radio, then probably not. Guess we need to cross our fingers and see.

I just installed 4.3 and immediately lost root as expected, I used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit V11.1.0 to attain root. I just tried using the same toolkit to get root once again but I was not successful. What toolkit is everyone else using after this update.

I flashed a zip file through TWRP recovery to get back to root status. It worked like a charm. This probably also works with CWM recovery, however I am not speaking from experience. Note I can not take credit for this - someone else created this and I found it through google search.
    The zip file can be found here: How to Root the Galaxy Nexus and the LG Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 OS - TheUnlockr TheUnlockr You want file UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.50.zip

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

This morning my phone said it had an update (around 155mb IIRC) and I said to do it, then it booted to a green android with a red ! and it said something about an invalid update. I set it down to go get ready for work and when I got back it was booted back into the OS and it is still at 4.2.1. Anyone else experience that? Is there a manual update somewhere? Normally people create update.zip files but I hadn't seen one yet. The XDA one appears to be only for people who are rooted.
    Ham!

Quote Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
    This morning my phone said it had an update (around 155mb IIRC) and I said to do it, then it booted to a green android with a red ! and it said something about an invalid update. I set it down to go get ready for work and when I got back it was booted back into the OS and it is still at 4.2.1. Anyone else experience that? Is there a manual update somewhere? Normally people create update.zip files but I hadn't seen one yet. The XDA one appears to be only for people who are rooted.
    Edit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=20843237

Must be running unchanged/unaltered stock and stock recovery.

If you are I would assume your download was corrupted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
    Edit:

Huh?
    Ham!

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Edit: [REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Must be running unchanged/unaltered stock and stock recovery.

If you are I would assume your download was corrupted.

My phone is stock. I got it from Sprint though as a replacement so now I wonder if I got one that was previously modded. Sucks...
    Ham!

It was probably modded. I typically remove the stock apps I don't use that would auto run otherwise and take up memory (eg Google Magazines) and so when I tried to update, I got the same issue. Fortunately, I backed up to my SDCard the stock apps I removed, so once I put them back in the system APPs folder, the update was a success. I suspect whoever had your phone last made some changes that were not caught by sprint before the sent the phone out. If your phone is not rooted/boot loader unlocked, I'd bring the phone into sprint and make them deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmrlook View Post
    Yes - I have seen the same exact issue. I did not have this prior to the 4.3 update. I may just go back to the previous version - lucky I backed it up. Right now, each time I switch into/out of 4G, I need to go to airplane mode and back to get data connection again.
    I read somewhere that samsung recommends a factory reset to fix this issue, but that seems like textbook help just saying to start fresh and not knowing if it really fixes the issue. My 4g coverage is only a few towers if I am lucky, but its a pain none the less...

When in doubt fastboot flash most recent and available factory image, and yes, allow it to wipe everything. From there wait for pushed update, or download from link I provided and adb sideload from stock recovery.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

When in doubt fastboot flash most recent and available factory image, and yes, allow it to wipe everything. From there wait for pushed update, or download from link I provided and adb sideload from stock recovery.

If you can't can point me to a thread that specifically explains how to do it on our Sprint phone, I'd be happy to try.
    Ham!

If you can't can point me to a thread that specifically explains how to do it on our Sprint phone, I'd be happy to try.
    Instructions for install are farther down in the first post of the link I provided. 4A and 4B are both simplistic and work with no root/stock recovery. To setup ADB simply Google it. In fact, guides are fairly easy to find with a simple search and more than 5 seconds of browsing. Please do some of the work yourself, and read the posts, and all instructions. Gl.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Instructions for install are farther down in the first post of the link I provided. 4A and 4B are both simplistic and work with no root/stock recovery. To setup ADB simply Google it. In fact, guides are fairly easy to find with a simple search and more than 5 seconds of browsing. Please do some of the work yourself, and read the posts, and all instructions. Gl.

I finally figured it out with a friend of mine. Whoever had my phone before me altered the system from stock. I had a different baseband than what the build was. We determined that someone sent the phone to Sprint and Sprint gave it to me as a replacement phone without checking it closer. Once I got the radios flashed, the OS updated normally to 4.3.
    Ham!

How do you get the 4.3 update if you're international?

I'm currently overseas and my phone's in airplane mode. Does the update come in via wifi or does it have to use cellular radios?

Hoping this update fixes the dog slow of a phone this is

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

My phone is having this problem with 4.3. When I was on GA02 running a FH05 radio, I was able to get a 4g signal and not have this issue. I wonder if flashing the FH05 radio back will solve the issue?
    Ham!

My phone is having this problem with 4.3. When I was on GA02 running a FH05 radio, I was able to get a 4g signal and not have this issue. I wonder if flashing the FH05 radio back will solve the issue?
    I decided to do the full factory restore and after doing so I don't seem to have an issue entering/exiting 3g to 4g now. I only was in the 4g area a few times but it seemed to work since the restore. Not to say it will break again though. But so far so good for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    How do you get the 4.3 update if you're international?

I'm currently overseas and my phone's in airplane mode. Does the update come in via wifi or does it have to use cellular radios?

Hoping this update fixes the dog slow of a phone this is
    There is a tutorial on how to download the update and push it via adb directly to your phone. My gnex isn't in active service (wifi only) so this was the only way to update it on mine. Or you can just wait til you get home and let it update then. The manual update isn't hard, no root needed, just to enable adb debug mode.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast