Google: Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't get updated to Android 4.4 KitKat

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, the TI Omap processor won't be supported. Not the age, but the make of the guts, is where we're left out in the cold :(
I wonder what kind of issues would come up with using files from 4.3 for the processor in 4.4

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why the links dead now, but if you google galaxy nexus kit kat stories show up like this one too
Android 4.4 KitKat Update Now Available for HTC One, Xperia Z and Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Be careful with the above - I went through it last night and what is linked to from there has been locked as the developer was apparently throwing stuff over the wall without actually testing anything, so no one was able to get his ROM to actually boot. I imagine we will get a working 4.4 at some point, but I'd wait for a while before trying it.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There's already booting 4.4 with working, albeit temperamental data and WiFi. Graphical glitches and reboots due to the incompatible binaries. It's all that can be expected till someone does more than just compile from source with cm kernel...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's already booting 4.4 with working, albeit temperamental data and WiFi. Graphical glitches and reboots due to the incompatible binaries. It's all that can be expected till someone does more than just compile from source with cm kernel...

Did the devs ever actually get 4.3 working prior to the official release? I know there was issues with data with it.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Did the devs ever actually get 4.3 working prior to the official release? I know there was issues with data with it.

CM 10.2 has working data without any extra steps for Sprint's G Nex if your on Sprint. I have one on Ting so I had to change the APN settings with a flashable zip to get LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Can you post a link to the working 4.4 ROM for our phone. Every link I can find appears to be a dead end.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes there was working data on cm before the official release from Sprint. Working, however not stable. Data switching would hang, then drop, and could not recover. I believe they were using a lot of dirty patches to compensate for a proper RIL Bridge for 4.3 and proper binaries. Fact is they made headway, but only so much, and would probably have remained stuck at no fault of their own. Soon when the official build changes are merged into CM all of that should be solved. 4.4 is a whole different story. Someone needs to merge and experiment with the updated GPU binaries that were never officially merged with AOSP for GNex and see if it fixes the graphical glitches and reboots caused by them. From there blobs from 4.3 can be merged to see if they can be worked for stable data with 4.4.

Again, this is just a collection of info I gather from keeping up with multiple forum sites and news in relation to our device.

fatal99

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Funny that custom ROMs were having difficulty with the handoff to and from 4G and now the update build seems to have the same problem handing off to 4G too.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Funny that custom ROMs were having difficulty with the handoff to and from 4G and now the update build seems to have the same problem handing off to 4G too.

Actually right up until merging the official update, cm 10.2 had stable switching data. Merging the official broke it again somewhat and they're working to fix it properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually right up until merging the official update, cm 10.2 had stable switching data. Merging the official broke it again somewhat and they're working to fix it properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I'll be sticking with the 20131105 nightly then. Data is flawless for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They need to revert all the other radio related changes they previously had merged. On an absolutely untouched stock updated 4.3 data handoffs work fine and there are no radio drops. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't want to admit they tampered with the base stock ROM. Anyway, it seems as though 4.4 testing is progressing rather well.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
They need to revert all the other radio related changes they previously had merged. On an absolutely untouched stock updated 4.3 data handoffs work fine and there are no radio drops. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't want to admit they tampered with the base stock ROM. Anyway, it seems as though 4.4 testing is progressing rather well.

I can assure you I've got stock updated 4.3 at this time and the data handoff is not working - I loose data every time I switch from 3G to 4G and have to switch into and out of airplane mode to get it back.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can assure you I've got stock updated 4.3 at this time and the data handoff is not working - I loose data every time I switch from 3G to 4G and have to switch into and out of airplane mode to get it back.

Likewise. I did a factory restore and it seems to have resolved it the few times I did enter 4g, but I am not for certain yet. 4g coverage is junk where I live so far.

fatal99

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Will a factory reset delete SD Card data too? I am considering to do this as I drive through a lot of 3G to 4G and back to 3G areas on my commute. This handoff issue bugs when I am streaming podcasts or pandora