Phone says it is rooted but I've never done that.

Predestinedyuban

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
First off, I am cell phone illiterate, I appreciate your patience. My charging port on my phone recently stopped working. I went into Sprint to have it fixed. While there I was told that my phone was rooted and as such they couldn't do anything with it. This came as a surprise to me because not only have I never done much with my phone but I had never heard of it. Yeah, I know, I'm simple. So I asked them what I could do and was basically told I could buy a new phone. I've now read a little and watched some videos but here's the thing. I have no idea how to connect my phone to my computer and when I try to do anything using my browser or apps it says something about the security certificate and kicks me off after a few minutes. Can someone hack your phone like this? Not knowing anything, I'm super frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
First off, I am cell phone illiterate, I appreciate your patience. My charging port on my phone recently stopped working. I went into Sprint to have it fixed. While there I was told that my phone was rooted and as such they couldn't do anything with it. This came as a surprise to me because not only have I never done much with my phone but I had never heard of it. Yeah, I know, I'm simple. So I asked them what I could do and was basically told I could buy a new phone. I've now read a little and watched some videos but here's the thing. I have no idea how to connect my phone to my computer and when I try to do anything using my browser or apps it says something about the security certificate and kicks me off after a few minutes. Can someone hack your phone like this? Not knowing anything, I'm super frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!
Did you ever have your phone refurbished?

693_standby

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to file an insurance claim through asurion on to get the new phone, or did the "techs" order you one. I've had them tell me the same thing but at the time I was not rooted. So you could try a different location or when someone else is working

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

solquiff

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Was the phone ever unlocked? This might help clear things up.

I got an unlocked phone in January and had Super SU app on it but never paid attention to it until last week when I investigated it. I got a bit concerned as I never downloaded it and thought it was just a pre installed app that was of no use. Anyway, after reading many many articles online from people saying rooting and unlocking a phone are unrelated - I went to 4 shops that unlock mobiles and that kind of thing. 2 of them were very open about it and said they frequently rooted phones before unlocking them to avoid paying for an unlock code. One of the workers even showed me his phone which had super su installed, he said he rooted his to unlock it. In another shop the guy said he had never heard of it and he 'always' used a code (i could tell he was lying). In the 4th shop they guy did say he rooted phones to unlock them but then backtracked after i started asking more questions..he seemed a little nervous.

These 4 shops were all within a 0.5 km radius of one another so it is quite clear that rooting is being done before unlocking phones to save on the codes. Some are more open about it than others. Whether or not the root is really needed I dunno, but they are doing that way unless they get a code..so it obviously works whatever it is they are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs