Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Default Re: Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

It says iPhone so I'm guessing same issues as other ICrap compatible chargers. they charge, but at the slow rate.

Boy is this frustrating!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

From reading some reviews on the qmadix unit, they only seem to include the iphone cable, and apparently there is a difference between a USB charging cable and a USB synching cable with the latter not recognizing the charger as an ac source but instead just treating it like it was plugged in to a computer. Question is, will the cables that ship with our phones be recognized as a charging cable or just a USB cable? Confusing stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Found another version of the qmadix.

http://www.shopandroid.com/qmadix-us...A47A12342A.htm

This one includes both an iphone and a micro USB cable. I am taking the plunge and ordering this thing. Will report back with my experience with my gs3 and the note 2 later.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Found another version of the qmadix.

Qmadix USB Mobile Duo 2.1A Charging Kit - Android Car Chargers - ShopAndroid

This one includes both an iphone and a micro USB cable. I am taking the plunge and ordering this thing. Will report back with my experience with my gs3 and the note 2 later.

Ok so I got my Scosche charger in today. I haven't given it any real testing but using the cables that came with my devices I was able to charge both my galaxy tab 2 7.0 and my Note 2 both on AC charge. Both charged on AC on from the 1a port as well. Good sign but I will test out the Note 2 using GPS when I venture out of the house later.
    MannyZ28 likes this.

I had an issue charging my i5 in the car. The the old iphone/ipod charger wouldn't work. I had the 1 from AT&T that would charger my I phone... And and an additional USB port. The i5 would not recognize anything I tried. Until I got the SCOSCHE dual USB charger. 10 watts x2. 2.1a each. It works perfectly, and it's a low profile design. It charges my i5, and my GS3 just fine. I haven't tried it on the N2 yet. I just got the N2. I'll try it later and report back. Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1351882831771.jpg
    MannyZ28 likes this.

Lightbulb Re: Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    From reading some reviews on the qmadix unit, they only seem to include the iphone cable, and apparently there is a difference between a USB charging cable and a USB synching cable with the latter not recognizing the charger as an ac source but instead just treating it like it was plugged in to a computer. Question is, will the cables that ship with our phones be recognized as a charging cable or just a USB cable? Confusing stuff.

Hello Manny,
    The issue is not with the cable. The issue is with the charger. USB cables have 4 internal wires. +5Vdc, Ground, D+, and D-.
    Normally D+ and D- are used for data transmission only. However, a standard emerged called DCP, in which phone chargers that don't care about data can use the D+ and D- lines to detect compatible devices and ramp up the amperage on the +5Vdc line. Ordinarily, USB standard mandates 500mA current for USB 1 compliant devices.

What Apple does is apply a 2.4Vdc voltage to the data lines so that compatible devices will allow full charging. Because Android phones don't do this, Apple compatible chargers revert to standard USB mode and you get really slow charging.

Most Android phone chargers short the D+ and D- lines. When phones that use this method sense that lines are shorted (Won't happen with a normal PC USB port), the phone allows full charging and views itself as connected to AC. I'm pretty sure the Note 2 uses this method.

There are a few other variations on this, but that's the general principle.

Most Chargers listed as "Universal" have some type of autodetection for this. They can "sense" when an Apple product is attached and then apply the 2.4Vdc. They can also sense when a device that needs the lines shorted, and will short accordingly, to enable full charging.

You could do this buy creating a charging cable with the D+and- lines shorted, but I would be careful. If you forget and use this cable with a PC, you will probably damage your computer. (I've seen people do this.) My thought are to just by the right charger.

I know I've gone over into the techie pool, but this is how this works.

-Plaz

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD SE-RIOUS View Post
    I had an issue charging my i5 in the car. The the old iphone/ipod charger wouldn't work. I had the 1 from AT&T that would charger my I phone... And and an additional USB port. The i5 would not recognize anything I tried. Until I got the SCOSCHE dual USB charger. 10 watts x2. 2.1a each. It works perfectly, and it's a low profile design. It charges my i5, and my GS3 just fine. I haven't tried it on the N2 yet. I just got the N2. I'll try it later and report back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351882831771.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	44439
    Based on this, I would say this is a good "Universal" charger. The fact that the charger also works with the tablet seems to indicate that it also uses Samsung's charger detection. Samsung uses 1.2Vdc on some of their devices for D+ and D- to allow full charging.

We should wait to see what "yankees" finds with his testing.

-Plaz

For the detailed among you,

The micro USB cable actually has 5 pins, but if you look at most phone provided cables, only 4 pins are used. The 5th pin is a special ident pin. You will also notice the standard USB plug that goes into the charger (or computer) are the 4 pin type. So, 5 pins, only 4 are used.

Cheers,
    -Plaz

I wish that I saw this thread before I ordered two of the car plugs and two of the wall plugs from Monoprice that are mentioned near the beginning of this thread earlier today.

However, I found this at my local Walmart store for $15.88:

It appears to work. The GN2 is showing "AC" charging and it's gained 12% charge over the past 30 minutes. It's low profile and lights up gently with a white LED both in the ring around the perimeter and in the USB Jack itself.

Monoprice wouldn't let me cancel the order, so once they arrive I guess that I'll be verifying that they don't work.
    Last edited by Northward; 11-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Ok so I did some more testing today with surprising results.

First of all the car adapter I purchased was this
    Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II - Dual USB Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GUSBC3): Electronics

I made the same 30 minute drive today. I had wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and screen rotation on. I made sure the only thing I was running was navigation. I went the same route to and from my friends house. Regardless of if I was in the 2.1a slot or the 1a slot I had just about the same increase in battery, 10-11%. I saw no increase with whatever slot I put it in which leads me to believe that the phone has an internal limitation of a 1a charge. I will have to do more testing because the fact that the stock wall charger was 2a was very odd. There could be reasons for this but I am not sure why unless they do this to make the charger more compatible with the larger tablets. I did notice the other day that the wall charger did not charge as fast (actually pretty slow) if I had a lot of apps running in the background which makes sense because as you use more resources the battery depletes faster. This all leads me to believe that the internal restriction of the phone is 1a.

Has anyone else found any similar results?
    Last edited by yankees177; 11-03-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: redundancy

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's kind of disappointing to read. I will get my qmadix charger this week and I will try it on my gs3 and compare it to the 850ma charger I am using currently. But what I am concerned about the most is that the phone won't lose charge while using navigation, in use it frequently and i don't want it draining the battery so I am glad you gained charge while using navigation. My current charger will yield 11% on a 15 minute drive without navigation on, never really paid attention to it when navigation is on.

We will see.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    None, thanks to the man.

Any more testing/research feedback? I'm hoping to find one that works so I'm ready when it's available through VZW.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_L View Post
    Any more testing/research feedback? I'm hoping to find one that works so I'm ready when it's available through VZW.
    I did get the second qmadix one I linked to for 29 bucks from the android Central store. Ordered it Thursday was here on Monday. It came with both the iphone cable and the micro USB cable that we need. I am still on my gs3 and it works perfectly with it. It charges rapidly, it keeps up with navigation and charges it while doing so. I played Wild Blood for about 15 minutes and gained 8% battery life during that time.

I will get my note 2 on Sunday and will report back with my experiences next week.

What about this USB charger from Best Buy??? Rocketfish RF-DC1U2N

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here is an update on the qmadix charger I linked to earlier. This thing rocks! Love the light on both the two inputs as well as on the cable going into the phone itself. Yesterday was the first day that I fully used the phone so I didn't use the charger much because I wanted to see what my battery life was going to be like (great is the right word here), but I did plug the phone in for just 25 minutes while using navigation. I'm that time, it gained 11%! Considering I was using Navigation at the time, that's a great charging rate. I can only recommend this charger!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That one only has the iphone connector and it costs more. I got this one and it includes both cables.

http://www.shopandroid.com/qmadix-us...A47A12342A.htm

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Alright, well, I ordered it (the one you recommended)! It's all your fault.
    MannyZ28 likes this.

Manny does both ports offer 2.1 volt or only 1 at a time? The more expensive one on amazon shows both ports doing 10w/2.1v at same time...the one you linked on shopandroid...doesn't specifically say.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The box says both.

hopefulfarm likes this.

I stopped by an ATT store and grabbed their high amp charger (used for the Note 1?) and it works great!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvan View Post
    Manny does both ports offer 2.1 volt or only 1 at a time? The more expensive one on amazon shows both ports doing 10w/2.1v at same time...the one you linked on shopandroid...doesn't specifically say.
    I think I need to apologize for a little bit of misinformation. I just read the box again and there is an asterisk next to the dual charging mode and then it says that the two share that voltage.

Sorry about that, the devil is in the details. I must say though, my old 1 amp house chargers from my previous phones seem to charge the note 2 rather rapidly even though I haven't actually timed it.

Hope I didn't cause anyone any inconvenience.

Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1352904229274.jpg

Will any android USB-micro usb cable work with the 2.1 volt or do you need a special one?

Does the Galaxy S3 take 2.1 amp or only 1 amp? Those are the 2 devices I'll need to charge on a trip (my note 2 and the wife's S3). Would it hurt to use a 2.1 amp charger on her phone?

I have the home charger and cable that came with the phone (its a 2.1 volt charger) and it does noticeably charge faster. I was looking at my current old crappy car charger and its only 600 milli-amp output!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I believe they have smart circuitry in these phones so it shouldn't get hurt. My gs3 survived the few days of charging with the 2 amp charger without any problems. People said that there is a difference between a charging and a transfer cable, but you can just use the cable that came with the gs3 to charge it on the car charger.

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

I got my Qmadix car charger today! I
    Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1353199018590.jpg

I will report back whenever I get a chance to use it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    Rockin' the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II & the Hisense Sero 7 Pro!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast