Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

Ok, got the other more expensive qidmax charger yesterday and tested it today. Using the charging cord that came with phone I was getting 2.1 amps or their about. Phone charged while running navigation with no issues. Charge rate slowed down some but it took it to 100% and kept it their.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

This is great information, guys!

Just a quick note: when you're talking about Amperage, there's no such thing (for the purpose of this discussion) as "too much". Voltage is what matters. Voltage is "pushed" through the wire to the device, while Amperage is "pulled", meaning the device will only use as much as it wants. So... no worries about damaging a device by using a 2A charger.

I'll have to check out that low-profile one. I've got the 1A version by the same company, but it can't compete when I'm running DailyRoadsVoyager, Google Music and Navigation all at the same time for my hour drive home I'm hoping the phone isn't "locked" at 1A, but you might be right about the 2A charger coming with it, just because they're using it for multiple devices including tablets.

Global Posts
    878 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

I tested my Qmadix charger and I love it! Amazing charge, from 73% to 87% on my drive home, around 20 minutes. I use the battery info widget and it showed the exact same numbers my wall charger shows. Happy dance!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    Rockin' the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 & the Hisense Sero 7 Pro!

Global Posts
    878 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Screen shots from today's commute.

Note the times. Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1353420503975.jpg

And also look at the battery info widget.
    Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1353420599270.jpg

Last one from when I plugged in.
    Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1353420632187.jpg

Global Posts
    878 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Now from when I unplugged
    Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.-uploadfromtaptalk1353420925786.jpg

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Luvzmobile

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

I use this! Simple solution!

TYLT • Y-Charge • Dual USB Car Charger
    Galaxy S5
    Moto 360
    LG G3
    Sony Smartwatch 2
    Nexus 10
    Thanked by:

luvsmobile: They are THE best looking chargers! I'm so sick of black or white accessories. I just ordered two chargers yesterday...
    Note 4 or Nexus 6 (soon)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
    Chromecast
    Vizio Co-Star

I've kept an assortment of car chargers, the ones that look like torpedoes or fire plugs, in my car for years. Plus a bunch of different cables. I bought a lot of them at mega-gas-stations on the big highways, I also bought some from various car tech places and, later, from Amazon. They all worked, as long as I had the necessary cable to plug in. I think the key thing here is that I rarely buy skinny cables. My cables are thick enough that I can't twist them into compact, tight skeins. None of my chargers are beautiful, but they're cheap. So are the cables. And that's good because I lose them all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    I've kept an assortment of car chargers, the ones that look like torpedoes or fire plugs, in my car for years. Plus a bunch of different cables. I bought a lot of them at mega-gas-stations on the big highways, I also bought some from various car tech places and, later, from Amazon. They all worked, as long as I had the necessary cable to plug in. I think the key thing here is that I rarely buy skinny cables. My cables are thick enough that I can't twist them into compact, tight skeins. None of my chargers are beautiful, but they're cheap. So are the cables. And that's good because I lose them all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    The only problem with those is the charging time...

you mean they charge too quickly for you?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

you mean they charge too quickly for you?

Sent from my GT-I9300
    Too slow

Yesterday, I spent five hours driving on highways. I had navigation and traffic on, sometimes silently, sometimes with the voice guidance. I also was listening to my music and, occasionally to the radio, all on my Galaxy s3. I started with 49 percent battery left, and, in less than 45 minutes, the stock battery was up to 100 percent, and stayed there the rest of the trip. I don't consider that slow.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Yesterday, I spent five hours driving on highways. I had navigation and traffic on, sometimes silently, sometimes with the voice guidance. I also was listening to my music and, occasionally to the radio, all on my Galaxy s3. I started with 49 percent battery left, and, in less than 45 minutes, the stock battery was up to 100 percent, and stayed there the rest of the trip. I don't consider that slow.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    OK I have a note 2. Stock charger is 2A

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

I have been using my old Palm Pre car charger: Amazon.com: Palm Vehicle Power Charger for Palm Pre and Pixi: Cell Phones & Accessories

I don't know any spec on the amps of this unit, but it is enough to power the Palm Touchstone inductive charging unit in the car, which I understand required more power than many car chargers supply.

It's a very slim, trim charger. In fact, the USB cable that comes with it has a very slim USB plug (not much plastic around the metal plug) in order to insert into the charger. Most non-Palm cords will not fit into the charger unless you file or cut plastic material off around the plug.

I don't have a meter to test it. I'll check to see what happens to the phone charge level if I drive with Nav turned on and report back.

The Pre charger was rated at 1A. The TouchPad charger that looked just like it was rated at 2A. I know, I've got both and it's printed right on each.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    The Pre charger was rated at 1A. The TouchPad charger that looked just like it was rated at 2A. I know, I've got both and it's printed right on each.
    You're talking about the indoor AC chargers, though, right? I'm talking about the car charger - click the link in my prior post to see what I'm talking about. I don't think they made a car charger for the TouchPad, did they? I have a TouchPad, and I know that the indoor AC charger is a similar cylindrical shape to the indoor Pre charger, but slightly bigger and more power.

I just checked the car charger driving home, and with the Nav app running the whole time, my battery level increased from 53% to 62% over a 35 minute drive. For what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by brentj View Post
    You're talking about the indoor AC chargers, though, right?
    Actually, yeah I was.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

I ordered a 64gb card for my NOte2 from Amazon and found a dual charger for $13 and figured I'd try it. It's the MediaBridge 3.1(2.1a +1a) 12-24v charger. It says specifically in the provided directions that it is incompatible with the Galaxy Tab series of devices. I'll give it a shot and see if it works with my Note2 and report back later.
    Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Output Dual USB Car Charger For iPad and iPhone (Dual Port High Output Design: 1.0 Amp USB for iPhone; 2.1 Amp for iPad or additional iPhone): Cell Phones & Accessories

Edit:

Apparently there's a couple of things out there about modding this particular unit by shorting our a couple of pins on teh board to force it to make the phones see it as an AC charger and it then locks onto the 2.1a and charge.

BW: can someone lead me to a possibly free app that I can download that will show me the actual charge rate on my phone when it is plugged in. That way I can see how my different car chargers are working with my Note2?

Thanks

Mini Update:

Got called into work tonight so I used the plug for the 20 minute drive.

Ran the wire into the 2.1a jack and plugged in the phone. The phone showed it being charged and the display showed the electrical plug next to the word Charging. When I plugged in the phone, it was at about 70%. After about 25-30ish minutes, when I got to work, my phone was reading 88%. I'm thinking it was registering and running with the 2amp charge and not reverting down to 1 or 0.5amp.
    Last edited by johnmcd348; 12-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I use the battery monitor widget. It shows charge rates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I charge mine in my car dock for my old photon (don't ask but it fits fine ) which is 2a and changes perfectly. Went from 32% to 70% in what seemed to be no time.

Sent from my G-Note 2

2Day update

OK, used it a couple of other times this past 2 days. Later the night/morning of the last update, I plugged it back in on the way home. Took the long way home and added an extra 15 or so minutes to the drive so it was plugged in for about 45-55 minutes. Phone charge showed from 76% up to 99%.

Saturday, used the plug in 2.1a outlet to charge wife's Archos G9 10.1 tablet with good results also.

Today, on my way home, I'm going to run the Google maps or navigation app with the phone and have unit plugged in to see if it keeps up with the charge or if it discharges. Will update after.
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

Seems to work. Ran the navigation app with the phone plugged in and charging. I set the navigation for he and drove around for about 30 minutes in every direction except home so it a lot of re calculations an updates going on to keep the system running. I don't rember now what the actual value was but the charge did continue ro increase during that time. Maybe 5% increase say from 86-91%.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks

JTMcD.

OK. Been using the plug referenced in Post #69 and so far it's been running really well and charging while using the phone when using the 2.1a port. I haven't tried it in the 1amp port since I figured it would most likely work well enough with that one standard.

The High output port does seem to charge well without having to modify the device at all. $12 from Amazon. I'm buying 2 more to keep in my other vehicles.
    Thanks

JTMcD.

Note 4 or Nexus 6 (soon)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
    Chromecast
    Vizio Co-Star
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast