Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lingo622
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TJB

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Default G2 show only 10.8gb???

Why is it when I plug my GN2 into a USB port and then look at the available storage. It says maximum is 10.8 and I thought it was supposed to be 16gb.

Anyone else have this issues?

Default Re: G2 show only 10.8gb???

Quote Originally Posted by TJB6 View Post
    Why is it when I plug my GN2 into a USB port and then look at the available storage. It says maximum is 10.8 and I thought it was supposed to be 16gb.

Anyone else have this issues?
    Well the reason is because all carriers have bloatware on the phones so all that software from Sprint is taken away from the actual memory on the phone. That is why alot of people rather get a 32gb or 64gb.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    TJB 

The other thing is that you can always get a 64GB SD card and solve any storage issues.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    TJB 
    ExtctnLvlEvnt likes this.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooches680 View Post
    Well the reason is because all carriers have bloatware on the phones so all that software from Sprint is taken away from the actual memory on the phone. That is why alot of people rather get a 32gb or 64gb.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Not only the bloatware but the actual android system itself uses up space

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    TJB

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

I am new to Android coming over from WebOs. Is there anyway to get rid of the bloatware?

Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TJB6 View Post
    I am new to Android coming over from WebOs. Is there anyway to get rid of the bloatware?
    I am also coming from webOS, with a brief stay on iPhone until the Note 2 came out, will pass the iPhone to a family member.

I believe rooting your phone is the path to get rid of bloatware, but as mentioned above, 16 GB is the size of the total storage, the Android op system takes up most of the missing 5 GB or so.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s ->
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    TJB

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I am also coming from webOS, with a brief stay on iPhone until the Note 2 came out, will pass the iPhone to a family member.

I believe rooting your phone is the path to get rid of bloatware, but as mentioned above, 16 GB is the size of the total storage, the Android op system takes up most of the missing 5 GB or so.
    I did the same thing. My daughter is loving her iphone that I had for 3 months. But then I switched back to my Franken Pre 2 until this phone came out.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The thing is, sprint has an absolute minimum of bloatesre on their phones compared to the other carriers. Sprint zone is all you will find on the Note 2 so there really isn't much to remove in the first place. The note 2 uses more of the device memory because of all the additional software included with the note 2 related to the s pen. More features take up more room its just the way it is.

A bigger sd card will go a long way in enabling to have more pictures, videos, and music on your phone but it won't help if you're a gamer and like to have all those huge games like wild blood on your phone, all that stuff now goes straight to the device memory and can't be moved to the sd card anymore. It's all about memory management if you go with the 16 gb version, you can't just keep every single huge game on your phone. The other apps out there are small and don't present a problem.

Personally in would like the 32 GB version too, but I don't want to have to wait for it, so I will just manage my games carefully.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Plus don't forget the difference between the advertised size and how much storage there really is before everything takes up space.
    For the sake of protecting you, my precious person, I shall turn into the Chronicle Key.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For the gamers out there.... check your folders after installing some of the bigger games. Wildblood by Gameloft for example downloads over 1 GB onto your internal storage, after that it actually installs the game and takes up another GB or even more. You can go to the storage app under settings and you will see the "miscellaneous" category to be rather large. Sure enough, I clicked on it and there was the huge initial download file. I deleted it and gained a good chuck of memory back and the game runs fine without it. These developers need to learn to do clean installs and uninstalls. I have seen with quite a few games were after the uninstall there were still hundreds of MB of game data left over that had to be deleted manually.