Am I doing something wrong with AutoCorrect?

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So, on my old EVO 3D, while typing, if I was typing a contraction, I could simply type the word without the apostrophe and it would autocorrect in the SMS, email, whatever. For example:

I type: couldnt
AutoCorrected to: couldn't

With the SGN2, it doesn't do that. I have to either type the apostrophe myself or I can choose from the available list of 3 words that come up for the predictive choices. Am I doing something wrong and missing a configuration setting somewhere? Or, does this just not work that way on the SGN2.

Thanks in advance for any help.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So, on my old EVO 3D, while typing, if I was typing a contraction, I could simply type the word without the apostrophe and it would autocorrect in the SMS, email, whatever. For example:

I type: couldnt
AutoCorrected to: couldn't

With the SGN2, it doesn't do that. I have to either type the apostrophe myself or I can choose from the available list of 3 words that come up for the predictive choices. Am I doing something wrong and missing a configuration setting somewhere? Or, does this just not work that way on the SGN2.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it doesn't auto correct either.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a definitive answer?

One of the best keyboards in the Play Store is Swift Key 3. It will not only auto correct, but if you allow it the keyboard will learn your typing style and suggest words based on your individual speech.

I use it on both the Note 2, and Note 10.1.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Swype is on the note 2. It will auto correct as well. I don't like having to install extra space apps if I don't have to.

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. This seems like such a rudimentary thing to include. I can't believe it isn't natively on the phone in the stock keyboard.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Really? Absolutely no auto correct? They put everything and the kitchen sink into that keyboard, but no auto correct? Weird!

okfuture

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It's the craziest thing ever. On my HTC Evo, I never had to think about typing. It was just always right.

The galaxy s3 has auto-suggest, not auto-correct. So you have to stop your typing flow and watch a list of weird words instead of looking at what you wrote. It slows everything down so much.

Samsung also has no idea that the letters i and o are next to each other, or worse, t and y. My texts all say 'how are tou' and samsung suggests a million things but never 'you'.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It's the craziest thing ever. On my HTC Evo, I never had to think about typing. It was just always right.

The galaxy s3 has auto-suggest, not auto-correct. So you have to stop your typing flow and watch a list of weird words instead of looking at what you wrote. It slows everything down so much.

Samsung also has no idea that the letters i and o are next to each other, or worse, t and y. My texts all say 'how are tou' and samsung suggests a million things but never 'you'.

Sounds like Swiftkey is going back in to the Note 2 as soon as I get it. Come on Best Buyyyyyy!

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ya, the auto suggest seriously blows. I'm just going to hold out for the Swift Key swipe keyboard or try out the beta version. I was using SK3 on my old phone and it was great but really missed the ability to swipe.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

BillJr106

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
thats odd, I just tried the default Samsung Keyboard with Swiftkey Flow, and I used Flow to spell couldnt and it corrected it to couldn't.... did you try turning ON swift key flow????

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Swiftkey Flow works to auto-correct, and I have it checked. But I type the conventional way and even with Swiftkey Flow checked typing the conventional way does not auto-correct. This is really kinda stupid. Really the only complaint I have about this phone. But it's a big one given that I had this on my EVO 3D.

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Again, predictive text is not the same thing as auto-correct. Predictive text won't inline correct "couldnt" to "couldn't" as you type.

DanielleB97060

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just an fyi, in the swift key flow settings for space bar action pick "completes the selected word" or something like that. When I had it on "puts in a space" it would not auto correct the apostrophe either. But if you do it with the completes the selected word both conventional typing and swype typing auto correct the apostrophe.

Jack Brennan

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have the same problem. I have all the right settings ticked. In writing post on my galaxy s3 and I have to correct my self all the time instead of auto correct doing it for me. For example I'll type havr instead of have and it will not correct it for me I havr tp select it fkr a drop down menu as you csn see I make obvious mistakes when typing.i just don't understand why they havr removed thks feature. I had it when I first bought the phone but after doing an update its just not there anymore. Help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo