S-Voice

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
DAS, did you try eye of Newt or standing on 1 hand while rubbing your belly with the other? this is amazing.

Lol. AnnDroid, you know I gave it try, but unfortunately that still didn't work. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, after spending up to 45 minutes at the Sprint store I went away with a device that is still incapable of adding appointments to the calendar using s voice :confused:

However, once again Sprint didn't disappoint and agreed to send me now my third device. I should get it in two or three days and hopefully this one is charm. Thank you to everyone who has responded, and done your best to assist me.

The issue has everyone at Sprint and Samsung puzzled, but other than the minor inconvenience of taking the old device to the post office to ship back, I'll keep pushing until I get a device that works. :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't think it is the phone but the S-Voice itself. Maybe they will come out with a fix for it if enough people have a problem.

I actually agree with you, except no one else seems to have the problem. While in the corporate store today we tested both units and they worked perfectly. The funny thing was that Manager went online to check the forums to see what others might be saying, but all he could fine is my own thread on this issue over at XDA Developers, and this one.

I'm sure if the Manager had any doubts about my concern that convinced him. I still believe it's a setting somewhere, but I'll wait and see with this new device.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you try unticking MY CALENDAR (I am not screaming) in the calendar app menu? That little thing made my calendar sync with Google where before it would not.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
With a special thanks to AnnDroid the problem has been found and corrected.

I had to create a new main gmail account and just like that I can now save appointments to the calendar using s-voice. It appears the gmail account I always used as my main account must have been corrupted in some way (I'm not sure how). Therefore, no matter how many phones Sprint sent me the result would be the same, because I always would use that Gmail address to set up the phone.

I am now using the new gmail account I created as my main account, and the other one as the secondary.

Since all my applications, YouTube, movies, music and everything else is associated with the old account I now need to go through the really laborious task of redownloading my apps under the new account. This will keep me up for awhile, but I don't mind.

I feel bad about having Sprint send me another phone so I will contact them and cancel the replacement. Now I understand why the issue was unique to me, and followed me no matter which phone I used. Thank you all for your help! A special thanks to AnnDroid for giving me the suggestion. ;)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
How do you get all your events onto you new calendar?

The new primary account is only used to set up the phone. The amazing thing is once set up, I discovered the user can select any account to download files and choose the calendar from.

Therefore, all my apps, music, movies, and calendar events from the old account are still there, except I can't use that account to set up the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
DAS, am glad you got to the bottom of this, but I don't really understand how a GMAIL account could be corrupted. Also, when you say you can add another account, to be able to download etc, did you just remove the new account once phone setup and then add in the details for the old account?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
DAS, am glad you got to the bottom of this, but I don't really understand how a GMAIL account could be corrupted. Also, when you say you can add another account, to be able to download etc, did you just remove the new account once phone setup and then add in the details for the old account?
My thought is that it isn't the gmail account it's the calendar associated with the gmail account that caused the problem. Now that it's not the primary account the scheduling can take place. My suggestion to get a new account was just to test the phone, but it's working, so why not keep the new email? I do the same for my phone. It's gmail isn't my daily use gmail. I think one of the features of Jelly Bean is that it allows you to change the downloaded apps association.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Problem with me is GMAIL is my main account for emails, calendar etc, so not sure how I would still resolve my issue, as would need to keep my existing gmail account

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I left the new account as the primary account the phone is registered with, and simply added the old account as a secondary email account. Once the two accounts are set up you are given the option of which account you want to download your content from. I chose the old account, but left the new account as the primary account the phone is registered to.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Problem with me is GMAIL is my main account for emails, calendar etc, so not sure how I would still resolve my issue, as would need to keep my existing gmail account

Only use the new account to register the phone. In the settings you can add another account. It is there you will add back your old account. Then download all the content from your old account when prompted to do so.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My thought is that it isn't the gmail account it's the calendar associated with the gmail account that caused the problem. Now that it's not the primary account the scheduling can take place. My suggestion to get a new account was just to test the phone, but it's working, so why not keep the new email? I do the same for my phone. It's gmail isn't my daily use gmail. I think one of the features of Jelly Bean is that it allows you to change the downloaded apps association.

AnnDroid I believe you are correct. The calendar portion of the account is corrupted somehow, and not the entire account. In fact, I am still using the old account as usual except the phone is registered with the new account.

All my calendar, email, apps (included paid items), music, movies and even YouTube account associated with the old Gmail account have been restored to the phone. The only difference is that the new account I set up is being used as the one the device is registered with.

I also learned that you have to perform a hard reset and wipe the phone clean, and start from scratch as if the phone is new and just being set up for the first time. It's not enough to simply remove the sync settings.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Ah, OK .. so you mean factory reset the phone? I just titanium backup on my rooted S3, so my restore would be via that anyway ... presume that would still work?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Ah, OK .. so you mean factory reset the phone? I just titanium backup on my rooted S3, so my restore would be via that anyway ... presume that would still work?

I'm not sure? The key is you have to get back to the point where the phone is being set up for the first. Using Titanium back up, can you perform this action on a secondary email account or does it only work with the primary?

Your current Gmail account will become your secondary, and the new account you create will become the primary. You need to find out if Titanium will work with a secondary email account.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have to put up with S Voice not working .. which is a shame, but the hassle and risk of it not working just for that ... not sure if worth or not. It is still a shame that there is no other way around it .... thought there would be

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have to put up with S Voice not working .. which is a shame, but the hassle and risk of it not working just for that ... not sure if worth or not. It is still a shame that there is no other way around it .... thought there would be

I understand what you're saying. I won't lie because it is a hassle wiping the phone clean and starting completely from scratch. But for me I made the decision to take the plunge. It's taken hours to restore the content from my old account, reposition my widgets, and set up my home screens the way I like them (unlike you I don't use Titanium). Even so I still have a few ringtones and notifications to download and set up before being completely restored. But I actually use s-voice extensively, and although quite laborious, it has been worth it to me.

If you later decide to take the plunge please let me know. The problem lies in the calendar portion of your Gmail account, so until you can either figure out a way to fix the calendar within your Gmail, or simply remove the account as the phones registered primary, the problem will remain.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The one bit that still confuses me, is that if the gmail calendar is somehow corrupted, then when I clear the cache of s planner it works for a while. If corrupted would kinda expect it to never work at all

Glad you are happy it is sorted though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol