Screen Going Black or Freezing

Mansoor Qureshi

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I don't know if this will work for any of you but it worked for me...
Had the same prob i turned the proximity off during the call.. this option can be found CALL SETTINGS, AUTO SCREEN OFF DURING CALLS and untick the box.
Altho the screen stays on during call but i think its batter then the black screen.
Please let me know if that was helpful
All the best

Cyclonut

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I don't know if this will work for any of you but it worked for me...
Had the same prob i turned the proximity off during the call.. this option can be found CALL SETTINGS, AUTO SCREEN OFF DURING CALLS and untick the box.
Altho the screen stays on during call but i think its batter then the black screen.
Please let me know if that was helpful
All the best
That works but what happens is your face will touch the screen hanging up calls accidentally etc...that was the purpose of the screen going black when you bring it close to your face. :(

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy Note? II via Tapatalk 2.

Tarak Trivedi

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The call settings method - disabling the screen going black during phone calls fixed this problem for me. I am guessing it is a defective proximity sensor of whatever. You can still blackout the screen by hitting the top right power button during a phone call so your face doesn't press random buttons. Thanks for posting this easy fix.

1) Access call settings, by pressing the menu button (the button left of the main horizontal button on the lower end of the phone) in the dialer app - this took me a while to figure out.
2) Then just disable the "Auto screen off during phone calls"
Enjoy the fact your phone isn't the most annoying thing in your life anymore :) !

mcconkeyb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had the GN2 for about 6 months all worked fine. Yesterday after making a phone call my phone did the black locked screen as described in this thread. For now I am going to disable the "Auto screen off during phone calls". But a proper permanent fix would be nice. I believe its more of a firmware issue than a hardware issue, as the proximity sensor appears to be still working (if it failed then it wouldn't know to turn the screen off). I hope that samsung is listening and will find a permanent fix for this soon.

Amiruddin Tenrisau

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
A a couple minutes ago my samsung galaxy note 2 has the screen dark at the time of my friend calling. I have tried to remove the battery and switch on again, but I got nothing the screen still dark/freezing. It is really annoying me...... how can I get back to my normal screen....? kindly assist me if there are some of have had that problem and re-solved.

The call settings method - disabling the screen going black during phone calls fixed this problem for me. I am guessing it is a defective proximity sensor of whatever. You can still blackout the screen by hitting the top right power button during a phone call so your face doesn't press random buttons. Thanks for posting this easy fix.

1) Access call settings, by pressing the menu button (the button left of the main horizontal button on the lower end of the phone) in the dialer app - this took me a while to figure out.
Enjoy the fact your phone isn't the most annoying thing in your life anymore :) !

Last edited by a moderator:

David N2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had my GN2 for a little ove a week. I have have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding or while using an app or on a call, the screen will go dark and/or freeze. I've had that happen 3-4 times on a call, and I can't end it. Even the power button doesn't work. If I leave a voice message and the screen goes dark or freezes, whereby I can't end the call, I can still hear the voice prompts so I know the call is still active. I really like the phone, but this is becoming frustrating. Is my phone defective? Anyone else having the same screen issue?

Go to call setting and click on call answering/ ending and click end call with power button. Then try making a call end it with power button and press home key to turn on screen again.

blanckim

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much, your suggestion really works.

I have paid 15 pounds and need to wait for 3 days to reinstall the firmware. However after 3 days waiting, the problem has not been fixed: the same black out during the call. I have searched on the net and found your solution and it killed the problem straight away.

Many thanks!!

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you by any chance have an otterbox case or something on your phone? It sounds like your proximity sensor is activating and not deactivating. Tey going into call setting and taking the check mark out of proximity sensor or "auto screen off" its on by default. If you have a case or a sensor problem that will happen. So try taking the checkmark out and see if that fixes it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Note II on Tapatalk Pro.

Renato Frota

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Maybe is not your case, because it's ocurring when you do the calls as well. But on mine, was ocurring only when receiving calls. The reason was hard to find, but I found it: incompatibility between the voice comands to accept/reject calls and call recorders, like RMC: Record My Call...

To make them work together, configure RMC (or your recorder) to start the recording only after the call is connected (after you accepted it). In RMC this option is at Tweaks menu. Or, better, just disable the voice commands.

The problem is that GN2 will try to hear your voice saying "Accept" at same time that RMC started to record the call already, and you will end up with a 100% CPU peek because of the concurrency to the microphone recording, making the proximity sensor freeze.

robertolson

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
note 2 sprint: black screen fix..
hit your phone icon, go to call setting
see if the box that says auto screen off during calls is check, if so uncheck it, this fix my problem

tbryson92110

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Originally Posted by Tarak Trivedi

Enjoy the fact your phone isn't the most annoying thing in your life anymore !

There is no such option in the call settings on my Note 3 w/Jelly Bean

espisandroid7

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
This was very helpful.....Thank you so much! I was really annoyed by the black screen....The only thing I would change on the instructions is: "From the dialer screen, click on the menu button, the horizontal lines button....."
and then finish it the way you did:-*:cool:

Jawapaul

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi All..... I have had this problem for a few Months now. Nothing can fix it. i.e. The Samsung Note 4 screen goes black straight away during calls whilst phone is down in the hand...... and needs to be woken by button push. Then goes black again..... then must be woken.... then black etc etc. Absolutely drives me crazy when in a call requiring menu response.... also one it is woken, screen often stays lit up, even when against the ear.....causing false screen push by face and settings change or call on hold by skin contact during the call. HELP ?!?!...... I just went back to Samsung Agent, after testing they said it was NOT software but a hardware problem. I was given a brand new Note 4 handset, so went home and replaced all contacts, mssge's and apps using the samsung back/up restore app. The Android Software also needed updating of course also. After just a few hours............ the fault is back !! On the brand new handset ?!! I have no screen protector or cover over the proximity sensor..... There is no dust.... and the proximity sensor works perfectly when tested using #*0#*

What to do ?? I will try anything that helps..... This is getting crazy now.

Micah Bruland

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I've had my GN2 for a little ove a week. I have have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding or while using an app or on a call, the screen will go dark and/or freeze. I've had that happen 3-4 times on a call, and I can't end it. Even the power button doesn't work. If I leave a voice message and the screen goes dark or freezes, whereby I can't end the call, I can still hear the voice prompts so I know the call is still active. I really like the phone, but this is becoming frustrating. Is my phone defective? Anyone else having the same screen issue?

I am but it is with a galaxy tablet s2
and it is going black 7 or 8 times in a row each like 5 secconds apart.I really hope they fix this because I just want to watch netflix

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis