Screen Going Black or Freezing

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I've had my GN2 for a little ove a week. I have have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding or while using an app or on a call, the screen will go dark and/or freeze. I've had that happen 3-4 times on a call, and I can't end it. Even the power button doesn't work. If I leave a voice message and the screen goes dark or freezes, whereby I can't end the call, I can still hear the voice prompts so I know the call is still active. I really like the phone, but this is becoming frustrating. Is my phone defective? Anyone else having the same screen issue?

Fazone

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'am having the same problem as the OP. It's very annoying. No , taking out the
S pen does nothing . Hope this problem is addressed by Samsung with a firmware update.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue happen twice so far. Required a battery pull each time. I thought it was my custom kernel...glad it isn't.

TrueBlueKew

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen once on Monday. Pressing power button or home button did nothing. Didn't think to pull the S pen so I did a battery pull. Hasn't happened again since. Stock ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

hollywould

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, has anyone found a solution to this problem here? I've been experiencing it every time I make or receive a phone call. I think I determined that my proximity sensor is defective or stopped working, but just wanted to know if anyone was able to solve this problem. Thanks for any reply.
P.S. I'm on an international Note 2 GT-N7100. Thanks again.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
do you have a screen protector on it? i know with some phones that had this problem it was the placement of the screen protector interfering with the sensor.

hollywould

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no screen protector, not even in a case. I'm pretty sure my proximity sensor has stopped working all together.

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same thing when bringing home a brand new Razr Maxx HD from the Verizon store last weekend. This occurred right off with the first phone call received and each call afterwards. I did NOT have a screen protector on either. I returned the phone the next day.

sikadis

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen more than a few times, even to the extent of a warranty replacement. After the replacement it still happened. I began to pay more attention to it and realized that the blackout normally happens in the dark. The next time it happens try to put your phone close to a source of light, the dial pad should reappear.While this doesn't fix the problem, it should help. This phone is too expensive for an issue like this. I hope they get it resolved soon. It's really annoying, especially when trying to make another call and the current one won't end.

Sikadis.

Cyclonut

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen more than a few times, even to the extent of a warranty replacement. After the replacement it still happened. I began to pay more attention to it and realized that the blackout normally happens in the dark. The next time it happens try to put your phone close to a source of light, the dial pad should reappear.While this doesn't fix the problem, it should help. This phone is too expensive for an issue like this. I hope they get it resolved soon. It's really annoying, especially when trying to make another call and the current one won't end.

Sikadis.
Tried everything including close to a light source...they said it was faulty when I took it in..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note? II via Tapatalk 2.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Tapatalk? And what version is it? (Is it the legit copy? Don't answer here if not)
An older version that I had of Tapatalk II caused this for me, getting the current version again from Play Store fixed it.

Cyclonut

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Tapatalk? And what version is it? (Is it the legit copy? Don't answer here if not)
An older version that I had of Tapatalk II caused this for me, getting the current version again from Play Store fixed it.
Legit copy latest version. I wiped the phone and it still did it..I would think that eliminated Tapatalk or any other app for that matter. But that was also just my case..someone else's situation may be different.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Legit copy latest version. I wiped the phone and it still did it..I would think that eliminated Tapatalk or any other app for that matter. But that was also just my case..someone else's situation may be different.

Lingering data on sd card perhaps?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Cyclonut

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Lingering data on sd card perhaps?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah even the SD card was pulled as I was taking it into the Sprint store to have the tech look at it. The sensor was apparently broken (or so they said) because when I got it back it actually worked but they broke the volume rocker so I end up getting a new phone anyway.

pvsarolkar

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Even I have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding on my T-Mobile note 2. The screen goes go dark / freezes. Nothing comes up on display. Home button and Power button does not work. Had to pull out battery and place it back to re-start the phone. Had this problem about 4 - 5 times. It's frustrating.

What is the reason? Is the phone defective? Should I return it?

sbavolmontgomery

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. Can't see the screen, phone call remains active, can't power it off. Pulling the stylist out does nothing. I had hoped to find a solution online, but no luck. I'm getting ready to return it.

michael foote

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Same issues,
In direct sun light its fine. Mine works fine without the otter box top cover. I can lay the top screen protector over it and it blacks like when it goes to the ear. If you try to end a call or use keyvpad? Nfg, power button held in or flash light works intermittently.
I have had the iphone3 with ATT , crap. motorola Razor with verizon, replaced twice, and now a GN2. This is a all in under two years. None were free. The v505 berfore was great . 5 years and I gave it to a son. I feel like a ginni pig.
I am getting a leather case. Otter box replacement has been tried at two other stores Verizon and best buy.. Same results. I even used a jewlers file to radius the sensor clearance.
Is is possible to decrease/ increase the sensor sensitivity? Or does it go back?
Mike