Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen Going Black or Freezing

I've had my GN2 for a little ove a week. I have have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding or while using an app or on a call, the screen will go dark and/or freeze. I've had that happen 3-4 times on a call, and I can't end it. Even the power button doesn't work. If I leave a voice message and the screen goes dark or freezes, whereby I can't end the call, I can still hear the voice prompts so I know the call is still active. I really like the phone, but this is becoming frustrating. Is my phone defective? Anyone else having the same screen issue?

Default Re: Screen Going Black or Freezing

I have the same problem since I updated my galaxy 3 to jelly bean.so I actually might be jelly bean issue.

Try pulling your s-pen out and pushing it back in. It works for me
    Thanked by:

I'am having the same problem as the OP. It's very annoying. No , taking out the
    S pen does nothing . Hope this problem is addressed by Samsung with a firmware update.
    USAF Veteran

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

I have had this issue happen twice so far. Required a battery pull each time. I thought it was my custom kernel...glad it isn't.

I've had this happen once on Monday. Pressing power button or home button did nothing. Didn't think to pull the S pen so I did a battery pull. Hasn't happened again since. Stock ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this problem here? I've been experiencing it every time I make or receive a phone call. I think I determined that my proximity sensor is defective or stopped working, but just wanted to know if anyone was able to solve this problem. Thanks for any reply.
    P.S. I'm on an international Note 2 GT-N7100. Thanks again.

do you have a screen protector on it? i know with some phones that had this problem it was the placement of the screen protector interfering with the sensor.

Nope, no screen protector, not even in a case. I'm pretty sure my proximity sensor has stopped working all together.

I experienced the same thing when bringing home a brand new Razr Maxx HD from the Verizon store last weekend. This occurred right off with the first phone call received and each call afterwards. I did NOT have a screen protector on either. I returned the phone the next day.

I had this issue. It seems to be just a select few who are unlucky. Take a read through this thread..

Proximity sensor broken?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™ II via Tapatalk 2.

Angry Re: Screen Going Black or Freezing

I've had this happen more than a few times, even to the extent of a warranty replacement. After the replacement it still happened. I began to pay more attention to it and realized that the blackout normally happens in the dark. The next time it happens try to put your phone close to a source of light, the dial pad should reappear.While this doesn't fix the problem, it should help. This phone is too expensive for an issue like this. I hope they get it resolved soon. It's really annoying, especially when trying to make another call and the current one won't end.

Sikadis.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadis View Post
    I've had this happen more than a few times, even to the extent of a warranty replacement. After the replacement it still happened. I began to pay more attention to it and realized that the blackout normally happens in the dark. The next time it happens try to put your phone close to a source of light, the dial pad should reappear.While this doesn't fix the problem, it should help. This phone is too expensive for an issue like this. I hope they get it resolved soon. It's really annoying, especially when trying to make another call and the current one won't end.

Sikadis.
    Tried everything including close to a light source...they said it was faulty when I took it in..

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Do you have Tapatalk? And what version is it? (Is it the legit copy? Don't answer here if not)
    An older version that I had of Tapatalk II caused this for me, getting the current version again from Play Store fixed it.
    Reach me on Twitter || Google+/Hangouts || Forums: XDA-Developers || RootzWiki

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!

Quote Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
    Do you have Tapatalk? And what version is it? (Is it the legit copy? Don't answer here if not)
    An older version that I had of Tapatalk II caused this for me, getting the current version again from Play Store fixed it.
    Legit copy latest version. I wiped the phone and it still did it..I would think that eliminated Tapatalk or any other app for that matter. But that was also just my case..someone else's situation may be different.

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonut View Post
    Legit copy latest version. I wiped the phone and it still did it..I would think that eliminated Tapatalk or any other app for that matter. But that was also just my case..someone else's situation may be different.

Lingering data on sd card perhaps?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Reach me on Twitter || Google+/Hangouts || Forums: XDA-Developers || RootzWiki

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!

Quote Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
    Lingering data on sd card perhaps?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah even the SD card was pulled as I was taking it into the Sprint store to have the tech look at it. The sensor was apparently broken (or so they said) because when I got it back it actually worked but they broke the volume rocker so I end up getting a new phone anyway.

Thanked by:

Even I have been experiencing the screen going dark and not responding on my T-Mobile note 2. The screen goes go dark / freezes. Nothing comes up on display. Home button and Power button does not work. Had to pull out battery and place it back to re-start the phone. Had this problem about 4 - 5 times. It's frustrating.

What is the reason? Is the phone defective? Should I return it?

I am having the exact same problem. Can't see the screen, phone call remains active, can't power it off. Pulling the stylist out does nothing. I had hoped to find a solution online, but no luck. I'm getting ready to return it.

Same issues,
    In direct sun light its fine. Mine works fine without the otter box top cover. I can lay the top screen protector over it and it blacks like when it goes to the ear. If you try to end a call or use keyvpad? Nfg, power button held in or flash light works intermittently.
    I have had the iphone3 with ATT , crap. motorola Razor with verizon, replaced twice, and now a GN2. This is a all in under two years. None were free. The v505 berfore was great . 5 years and I gave it to a son. I feel like a ginni pig.
    I am getting a leather case. Otter box replacement has been tried at two other stores Verizon and best buy.. Same results. I even used a jewlers file to radius the sensor clearance.
    Is is possible to decrease/ increase the sensor sensitivity? Or does it go back?
    Mike

Hi
    I don't know if this will work for any of you but it worked for me...
    Had the same prob i turned the proximity off during the call.. this option can be found CALL SETTINGS, AUTO SCREEN OFF DURING CALLS and untick the box.
    Altho the screen stays on during call but i think its batter then the black screen.
    Please let me know if that was helpful
    All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Mansoor Qureshi View Post
    Hi
    I don't know if this will work for any of you but it worked for me...
    Had the same prob i turned the proximity off during the call.. this option can be found CALL SETTINGS, AUTO SCREEN OFF DURING CALLS and untick the box.
    Altho the screen stays on during call but i think its batter then the black screen.
    Please let me know if that was helpful
    All the best
    That works but what happens is your face will touch the screen hanging up calls accidentally etc...that was the purpose of the screen going black when you bring it close to your face.

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy Note™ II via Tapatalk 2.

The call settings method - disabling the screen going black during phone calls fixed this problem for me. I am guessing it is a defective proximity sensor of whatever. You can still blackout the screen by hitting the top right power button during a phone call so your face doesn't press random buttons. Thanks for posting this easy fix.

1) Access call settings, by pressing the menu button (the button left of the main horizontal button on the lower end of the phone) in the dialer app - this took me a while to figure out.
    2) Then just disable the "Auto screen off during phone calls"
    Enjoy the fact your phone isn't the most annoying thing in your life anymore !

I have had the GN2 for about 6 months all worked fine. Yesterday after making a phone call my phone did the black locked screen as described in this thread. For now I am going to disable the "Auto screen off during phone calls". But a proper permanent fix would be nice. I believe its more of a firmware issue than a hardware issue, as the proximity sensor appears to be still working (if it failed then it wouldn't know to turn the screen off). I hope that samsung is listening and will find a permanent fix for this soon.

A a couple minutes ago my samsung galaxy note 2 has the screen dark at the time of my friend calling. I have tried to remove the battery and switch on again, but I got nothing the screen still dark/freezing. It is really annoying me...... how can I get back to my normal screen....? kindly assist me if there are some of have had that problem and re-solved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast