Tec-Tiles

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
So I ordered some Tec Tiles and the HDMI-MHL converter cable from Samsung using the 50% off code that is mentioned in this thread in the Verizon GN2 forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ccessories-including-note-ii-coupon-code.html

The Tec Tiles arrived today, and I've programmed two of them. It was easy to do, and I was a bit surprised how small they are. You can see them in this video demo by someone else:

Samsung TecTiles demonstration video with the Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube

I programmed two to put on the upside of the sun visor in my car, one to phone home, and one to text my wife with a message that I am in my car an on my way home. I had been expecting them to be completely self-executing after just tapping the phone against them, but that is not the case, at least for SMS and phone functions. For the text one, I touch the back of my phone against the Tec Tile (it works with a slim gel case on the phone), and the phone shows the receipt of the Tec Tile text command. I have to tap that, and then the text app opens with that text message ready to send to my wife. I then tap send and the text goes out. So for texting, it is a three-step process.

For a phone call, I touch the phone to the Tec Tile, and the phone registers receipt of the phone call command. I tap that on the phone screen and the phone call is placed, a two-step process.

I might do another one for my car, to toggle bluetooth on or off (as suggested by the linked video), as my car is pretty much the only place I use a bluetooth headset (or any bluetooth device), and perhaps this would conserve a bit of battery life if I touch the Tec Tile whenever I get into and out of the car.

I haven't explored all that they can do, but thought I'd post these initial observations in case anyone is curious about Tec Tiles. Interesting and fun technology, but not quite as efficient as I had hoped.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Might want to try some other NFC programs to see if they might offer you a better solutions. NFCTasker worked well when I looked at it a few months. No idea if they would help you cut a step out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34