Root Question

uberterrific44

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my Note 2 privately. How do I know if I am rooted or not? Root checker app says no.. but want to know for sure, so as not to break warranty. I'm on 4.1.1 with. a build # of JR003C.L900PALJC

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief, rooting does not break any kind of warranty.
Anyway, download terminal emulator from the market, type "su" without the quotes and hit enter. If you get a # your rooted, if it stays a $ you're not rooted. Even if your phone is rooted, you can Odin back to stock then unroot, which will make your phone exactly like one that has never been rooted.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If there is an app in your app drawer named SuperUser or Super SU your phone is rooted. If neither of these apps is present is is not.

gellis44

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There was a Super SU app, but I was told to use the app & choose to unroot within the app. The app deleted itsself. Does anyine have a link to download the Sprint Origional Odin software ????

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's the Root Toolkit that will give you a copy of Odin:

[Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V2.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, EFS, Flash to Stock - xda-developers

And this page has the original, factory MD5 you'll need to return to full stock:

Galaxy Note 2 Stock Firmwares | Galaxy Note 2 Root!

Just make sure you click the one that says "Sprint Galaxy Note 2 SPH-L900". Once you've got all the Samsung drivers installed (assuming you don't already) and you've got Odin fired up, follow these instructions:

NOTE: This will *ERASE* your phone. It will be like you just pulled it out of the box, so if you've got any pictures, music, etc *BACK THEM UP FIRST*.

1) Boot your phone into "Download" mode: Turn the phone off, then hold Volume Down + Home and press the Power button. You might get a warning about flashing custom software. Just press Volume Up to continue.
2) Launch Odin and connect your phone. If you haven't done this before (since you installed the Samsung drivers) you will have to wait a moment for the drivers to install, then Odin will show "Added".
3) Make sure only the "Reboot" and "F Reset Time" check boxes are checked. *Nothing* else.
4) Click the "PDA" button on the right and select the MD5 file you downloaded from the second link.
5) Click "Start" (just a bit below the PDA button) in Odin.
6) You should see a green progress bar on the top left box and, once it's complete, your phone will reboot.
7) You are now running the stock "out of the box" firmware.

gellis44

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the Noob questions, but this is my first Samsung phone. I looked on that toolkit website link, but cannot find the original factory MD5... If I can hopefully find it, will I have to re-root, then use Triangle away to reset the counter ^ then unroot again??

gellis44

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Worked like a charm. Thx! I did have to use triangle away to rest the counter though first...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance