- 269 Posts
Questions. Please help if you can. Thanks!
Noob Qs from a day 1 iPhone user. Thanks for the help.
1) Under Settings: Smart Rotation & Smart Stay. Do you use or suggest them? I get upset that the screen starts to sleep after a minute of watching a full screen YouTube video. Also reading a website, if the screen dims, on my iPhone I use to turn the phone to keep the screen lit. On here, I have to touch the screen and that pauses the YouTube video or clicks a link. Not diggin this at all.
2) I'm not a fan of the keyboard in here. I miss how the iPhone would automatically fix my bad spelling. Not only that, but you can highlight a word and look up it's definition if you weren't sure by highlighting it. Any idea how to do that on an Android?
3) Picture quality from the camera. I see there's a lot of settings. I'm not pleased with the pictures and the focus. Are there any basic settings you suggest or use?
4) My friend just texted me a photo and it shows it as video and plays the picture when I click on it. It's very weird. Plus I can't enlarge the picture or do anything with it. Wth?
5) How about adding my own sound for a text tone / notification? I emailed myself the reading rainbow sound that I use to use on my 4. Anyways, I can open it on here (my Note 2) but can't save it. Any ideas?
6) My screen won't sleep if I lay down my phone on the table. It just stays on until I touch it. Any ideas aboit this?
- 11-20-2012, 06:37 AM #2
Re: Questions. Please help if you can. Thanks!
1) No experience with that, so I cannot help. Sorry. My other android phones never used the auto off feature during movie playback though.
2) Go into the keyboard settings. On my nexus there are a lot of auto correct settings that were turned off by default. May be the same thing going on here. As far as checking a word definition, you may need a 3rd party keyboard for that. Don't remember that ever being a part of the oem keyboard.
4)That's usually what happens when an iphone sends a pic, or when someone sends more than one pic at once. It is annoying. Long press on the message (before clicking the play button) and select "Save attachments." This puts them in your gallery. Download folder I believe. Doesn't happen often unless someone with an android sends a "slideshow," or an iphone sends a slideshow/picture with text. If someone simply sends a photo by itself, you shouldn't get this slideshow thing going on. But saving the pics to gallery solves your problem.
5) For some reason mp3s dont always save through email. Android has a lot of advantages over iphones, but this is annoying. I will give you that. You're going to have to drag and drop from a computer, send with bluetooth/nfc, use an app to download ringtones etc to get it on there. Once it is on the phone, its pretty straightforward setting it. Go into settings>sounds to make that your normal default tone, use the People / Contacts hub to set it for certain individuals, or go into the settings in specific applications such as messaging to set it for only texts etc.
6)Your screen is turning off during movies (which it isn't supposed to) and staying on when it should be auto turning off? Not sure, you may have a bad device. Have you checked your screen Auto off settings?
Wish I could be more help, a lot of these I have no had issues with. Sorry.
- 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM #3
Re: Questions. Please help if you can. Thanks!
1) How are you viewing Youtube, via the app or via the browser? The browser I would think might not know any better not to turn the screen off after the timeout specified, but the Youtube app should be smart enough. If not, what I've used on my previous phone (but haven't gotten a chance to install it on the Note 2 yet) is an app called Screebl. It lets you set different angles where your phone will stay on continuously. So for example, between 30 and 60 degrees inclined, you might set it, because chances are, that means you're actually holding it.
2) The keyboard is a lot better than the Ice Cream Sandwhich Keyboard. That being said, I highly recommend using the full version of Swiftkey, which is an incredible keyboard. You can hook it into your social media accounts and gmail and it will used those to better predict words you are typing - even predict the next word before you've typed it. It's pretty amazing!
3) I haven't played with the camera at all, but I'd recommend you search for general advice on camera phones. You'll find that most have pretty poor performance in low light, so it's best to try to take photos in as high light as possible. When that's not possible, either use the flash where appropriate (your subject is fairly close), or find some way of bracing the phone so you are moving it as little as possible when you take the shot. Auto settings will not always be the best. Cameras have gotten smarter, but I usually try to set at least white balance and ISO manually. You want to set ISO to the lowest number you can (which will produce the least amount of noise) but just be aware that this will increase blur except when you have lots of light available.
- 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM #4
- By ska916jedi in forum AT&T Galaxy Note 2Replies: 27Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
- By dustinb84 in forum Samsung Galaxy S II SkyrocketReplies: 2Last Post: 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
- By MOTOX2 in forum Verizon HTC ThunderboltReplies: 14Last Post: 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
- By trippinbillies40 in forum Motorola Droid XReplies: 6Last Post: 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
- By rvajuggalo in forum HTC EVO 4GReplies: 0Last Post: 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM