Broken Screen

billbryan516

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was sitting with my favorite behemoth in my pocket (also my Galaxy Note 2 was in my pocket...heh...see what I did there?) in a low chair. Actually, I was on the pot...so...yeah. Pants around ankles, phone in pocket. I went to pull em up and the phone fell out. I thought nothing of it having been a Samsung owner for years and I know they build a quality product that is pretty tough to beat up but lo and behold, a drop from about 6" on polished tile busted my screen!! I took it back to Sprint saying "Gorilla Glass 2 shouldn't break like that" and they didn't flinch but told me Asurion will fix it for $200.
Well, I was 15 days out so I suggested since I just spent $300 on the damn thing that they just exchange it because (again), "Gorilla Glass shouldn't break like that. This one must be defective". They said that even if it had happened yesterday (my 14th day and the limit to their return policy), they couldn't do anything because the warranty is void because of the damage. Okay, fantastic...so now the only solution is shelling out another $200? I suggested that if these things are so fragile, they shouldn't let a customer out of the store without a case and they should sternly warn them. The associate who sold me the phone said he did but then the store manager piped up with, "We don't actually have cases for that yet. It's too new. Hopefully, we'll get some soon. We have one pink cover but it won't help in a drop and I don't think you'd like a pink cover". YOU LIED, ASSOCIATE!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!!! They suggested I call Samsung directly. I was talking with some outsourced-moron reading a script in a language she would call "English" but we all know...it wasn't, and I was told that my "Warranty es boided because ob da damage to da screen"...or something like that...and they could FIX it but it would cost me $179.
I told her to transfer me to a supervisor. When she asked me if she had "answered all my questions", I actually felt like I might have an aneurism at any given moment but calmly replied, "yes, thank you".
Soooooo, this supervisor MORON (maybe just Queen Moron is a better title?) gets on the phone with exactly the same frustratingly crappy English and (obviously) the exact same crappy script she's reading off of...and gives me the exact same crappy answer. $179. I told her "it's gotta be defective because Gorilla Glass 2 doesn't break at 6 inches off the ground". She told me it doesn't HAVE Gorilla Glass. Now, I'm dumbfounded because Sprint thought it was, several reputable online tech sites said it was, but Samsung said it wasn't. At first, I thought she was incorrect but after a bit of research, I found out that indeed, this technical WHIZ of a phone/tablet just has garden-variety, blow-on-it-and-it'll-shatter glass. Honestly, I have wine glasses that wouldn't break from a drop like that. Well, this further infuriated me because why don't you include some sort of protective case with the phone if it's such a delicate flower?!? That's irresponsible!! I then expressed my displeasure with the way this was being handled and was told that she couldn't help me further...so I asked to be transferred to someone who could. There was no one. That was it. Apparently, the way Samsung does things, there's a rep who answers the call and then there's a supervisor, and somewhere out there in the ether, there's a God of Samsung who makes all the rules but you can't get a hold of them or anyone else. She gave me an email address that will probably pan out to be a waste of time. She asked me if I had a pen and paper to write this down (I had a stylus and a cracked screen...guffaw), It's "President at Samsung.com...that's President...as in...President..." Gee, all this time using the NATO-Phonetic Alphabet and that's the best this genius could come up with?? Thanks for your help. Have a good night. Is it night there? Anyway, I'm pretty irritated with this. I've had ZERO problems with Samsung products until now and I've never realized how disinterested anyone is to help rectify a situation like this! I'm going to try this ridiculous email address and get on the horn with Sprint and let them know that their employees are greatly misinformed...and I'll be sure to scream my face off at Samsung every damn day until I get a new device...AND WHY THE HECK DOES THIS NOT HAVE GORILLA GLASS 2 ON IT!??!?! MAJOR OVERSIGHT!!!!
Anyone else have a horror story like this...more importantly, does anyone have a happy ending they can share? (Get your mind out of the gutter!) Maybe a link or phone number I can call to get this taken care of properly (and hopefully without shelling out another $200)??
Anyone? Anyone?? Bueller?
Thanks in advance.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you are out of luck. Even though gorilla glass is advertised as being more resistant sprint does not stand by it. There are too many ways for a screen to break. Only thing Samsung would cover is if it got scratched. Sorry about that. That's why tomorrow before my 15 days is up I'm going to buy geeksquad protection. It's cheaper than sprint and they have no deductible plus they will give you a loaner phone. Sprint used to be good in the warranty department, now they are one of the worse. Especially since they raised insurance costs including the highest deductible on the market.

You could try activating the insurance from squaretrade. Their deductible is $99 which isn't bad. I would do it soon, don't remember if it's within first 15 or 30 days.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow that is horrible. I'm sorry for you. How much does it cost if you " Lost " it? I just dropped my sprint insurance and went with BestBuy for my girls S3 and will be doing that for my Note2.

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
This is what I was worried about with the Note 2. As much as I love the concept, it may keep me from getting one. I have NEVER destroyed a droid (and I've owned a lot of vzw droid models) with original GG. Hell, I still got an OG droid floating around somewhere that looks mint, and a droid2 I use as an alarm clock that also looks mint. However I have managed to break 4 Galaxy Nexus screens, one of which was in my pocket. I was really hoping it was just a Nexus problem, them being weak. Or the crappy "Samsung fortified glass" they used, curved screen etc. This note 2 will be on my work line, and I cannot afford to have a weak phone like the Nexus. :( Shame Samsung. Such a high end device.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Do you put a case on your phone? I just can't imagine many people breaking 4 screens with it in an otterbox/ballistic/etc. case.

Otherwise, I just don't see a Note 2 ending well for you. Just sounds your usage habits and/or lifestyle don't lend themselves to the bigger phones.

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Do you put a case on your phone? I just can't imagine many people breaking 4 screens with it in an otterbox/ballistic/etc. case.

Otherwise, I just don't see a Note 2 ending well for you. Just sounds your usage habits and/or lifestyle don't lend themselves to the bigger phones.

Yes I had cases on 3 of them. No otterbox though, just something similar to a seido surface. I can't do huge cases. To be fair, one was an incident no phone would have probably survived. As I said, this was my first android phone (hell you could even include palm pilots and treos on there as well) that I have broken myself, not including warranty issues. The GNex have notoriously weak screens. I was really hoping samsung wouldn't have that issue with the note 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I had cases on 3 of them. No otterbox though, just something similar to a seido surface. I can't do huge cases. To be fair, one was an incident no phone would have probably survived. As I said, this was my first android phone (hell you could even include palm pilots and treos on there as well) that I have broken myself, not including warranty issues. The GNex have notoriously weak screens. I was really hoping samsung wouldn't have that issue with the note 2.

billbryan516

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, being an early adopter, Sprint didn't have cases yet. The insurance is ridiculous indeed. The last phone I had was the galaxy epic and that had the same glass... Two-and-a-half years with no case and not so much as a scratch... and I had dropped that at least the or four times, maybe more. Yeah, I think I'm pretty much s.o.l. on this one. Going to just shell out the 200 and get it fixed. Yuck. Next time, I'm putting an otter box on it! As for the device itself, I can't give it a higher recommendation. The guys of this beast are superb! Hands down the best device on the market. I consider myself a "power user". I have migrated away from a pretty sick laptop toy Note2 for everything from web browsing, email, business documents, and even gaming! Mind you, the games aren't anywhere near as good on a phone as they are on a laptop built for gaming but I find it more convenient and juat as pleasurable on this big screen! Need for Speed baby! FLAWLESS! The pen is cool too for note taking but I haven't quite mastered the uses of it yet. All in all, if you have doubts, get some protection for it and grab this phone! It's awesome!

Flaxseed

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My story is similar to yours, phone with a pink case on it, fell out my purse while I sat on a chair. Started with a small crack and by the end of the day the entire screen fell apart shattered. Went to AT&T warranty department, called 611, and Samsung. No one is concerned. Phone was purchased less than a month ago. At&T's solution was a new phone for $800, Samsung offered repair asking me to send the phone for screen repair for $199.00. The device itself is great, but this screen issue is a problem. It makes the whole expensive phone a liability rather than an asset.

- - - Updated - - -

My story is similar to yours, phone with a pink case on it, fell out my purse while I sat on a chair. Started with a small crack and by the end of the day the entire screen fell apart shattered. Went to AT&T warranty department, called 611, and Samsung. No one is concerned. Phone was purchased less than a month ago. At&T's solution was a new phone for $800, Samsung offered repair asking me to send the phone for screen repair for $199.00. The device itself is great, but this screen issue is a problem. It makes the whole expensive phone a liability rather than an asset.

shrubby

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought a case weeks before i bought my GN2 as i read how easy it was to break the glass.
Yes it is gorilla glass but any glass that has a larger surface area is going to be more susceptible to breakage it's just the laws of physics.
I have a Seidio Active case which is not very bulky like the otterbox cases.
I went to a restaurant the other day and went to pay my bill reached in my pocket for my wallet and hear a bang on the floor!
My shirt had been caught in between the case and holster and popped the phone out fly out on to the bare concrete floor!
Picked it up thinking the screen would be smashed but NO. Not a a scratch or crack or anything.

It pays to protect your investment. Yes it is an investment when you're shelling out $200 to $700 for a phone. $2 case or $200-$700 replacement???

I bought many accessories off of ebay and amazon before i even got the phone. (Cheap $2 gel cases are better than nothing) Got a couple form china also.

I also bought the best buy protection since it had no deductibles and no limits on replacement and $1 cheaper per month.
The only thing with best buy is it doesn't cover lost or stolen phones like Sprint.

Update:
Had the phone on my desk this morning listening to ESPN radio and spun around and forgot the earphones were attached, It flung the GN2 off the desk onto bare tile floor in the office WHAP!.
Picked it up and not a scratch again! Just my greasy finger prints.....

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me, that a person breaks their phone, and then is appalled they won't just give them a new one! Entitlement much?

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

Auden Alarcon

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am real sorry to hear that about your phone. I have almost the exact situation, the s at Tmobile said the phone is made with gorilla glass and virtually impossible to break and that this sales dush had dropped numerous times.. Of course they didnt sell any phone protectors at the time now they are everywhere. I was at work typing and forgot I had my phone on my lap, when I stood up it fell like 6 inches from the ground and I just dont get understand how the fall chipped the top right corner and cause a long crack in it. When I saw what happen I felt I got kicked in the stomach. I feel your pain and frustration. No one cares, T-mobile wants $699 for a new phone. Sucks of all the phones I had insurance for years this happened to be the one I didnt get it not even 1 month and here I am screwed thanks for nothing Samsung!

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am real sorry to hear that about your phone. I have almost the exact situation, the s at Tmobile said the phone is made with gorilla glass and virtually impossible to break and that this sales dush had dropped numerous times.. Of course they didnt sell any phone protectors at the time now they are everywhere. I was at work typing and forgot I had my phone on my lap, when I stood up it fell like 6 inches from the ground and I just dont get understand how the fall chipped the top right corner and cause a long crack in it. When I saw what happen I felt I got kicked in the stomach. I feel your pain and frustration. No one cares, T-mobile wants $699 for a new phone. Sucks of all the phones I had insurance for years this happened to be the one I didnt get it not even 1 month and here I am screwed thanks for nothing Samsung!

Most chairs I set in are at least a foot and a half off the ground, so your supposed 6 inch fall doesn't hold water! Be more careful next time!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

billbryan516

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Nothing new yet from either Samsung or Sprint. Definitely investing in an Otterbox. I guess I'm going to shell out the extra $200 to get it fixed.
Slight update though, I actually realized that it is defective. If I lay it down on it's face and tap on the corners, it doesn't sit flat. This means the entire chassis is tweaked causing pressure on the glass.
As aforementioned, I had seen drop tests from ear-level. Three drops on the corners and the screen didn't crack (whereas on the GS3 it cracked each time). My phone did crack in the corner that's raised so...yes. I do feel entitled (to the snarky reply). I feel entitled to a product I paid for and I don't think,(having gone back to Sprint in the proper time to return the phone or replace it for defects) that either Sprint, Samsung, or Assurion should be "entitled" to an extra $200 when the product they sold me and insured was defective from the get go. The fact that THEY feel "entitled" to an extra $200 is ridiculous.

Thanks to all the other replies. I'll let you all know what happened. This phone is freakin amazing otherwise and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Oh, also...has anyone played GTA 3 on this thing?!? Console quality!!! Superb!!!

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Cattails on this one, if I was to drop my phone and crack the screen it would be my fault. I would not expect a new phone because of my careless idea to not to carry my device in a protective case.

It is always terrible for something like this to happen but take it as a lesson learned. If you are going to invest in an expensive phone buy a proper case or be prepared to shell out some repair $

I would bet that a screen could break from any fall above a few inches if it lands just right to cause the right kind of stress on the glass. The variables involved in a free falling phone are vast.

Also, how can you tell your device is defective if your inpecting it after it has been dropped? Perhaps the impact of the fall caused the "uneveness" your speaking of?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(3783942)

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my phone the other day while at work on the concrete floor from about waste height which for me is about 3 and a half feet and I'm 6'1. Nothing happened to the screen and I didn't have a case on it. All I got is a few scratches on the silver trim around the outside. I invested in an otter box after that tho.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

note2fan

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I cracked my note 2 screen a couple of weeks ago. Guess who's fault it was.....mine! The same way it was your fault for breaking yours. Did u get insurance on the phone? Doesn't sound like you did. And now you think you are entitled to a replacement or a free fix? Get real. The phone isnt defective. When you lay the phone on its back it rocks. My does it and so does every other note2 out there. It is because of the stylus housing! Plus the bigger screen makes it more susceptible to being damaged. What a joke.

You broke it. Either pay to get it fixed or use it like it is. Its your fault.

iana2o

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I get if you drop a phone it's your own fault, that is the risk and it s accepted, My issue is with Samsungs xcover, the 'tough phone' as a tree surgeon I opted for this phone due to the dust, dirt and damp conditions I work in, I ve broken plenty of phones in the past in and out of cases, and freely replaced them, But this xcover wasn't dropped, knocked, bumped or banged, I had it on top of my tool bag all day, in sub zero temps, only the uk so not extreme, I simple picked the phone up and went to dial and the screen cracked in my hand, very fine hairline crack, returned to Samsung, who said 'tough' we sell these phones in Russia and they don't have a problem, They accept there is no evidence of even a faint scratch on my phone being less than 2 weeks old, but its down to me to prove that there was a manufacturing flaw with the glass than caused this to happen. an independent technician's report is required which cost more than the phone is worth, I think this is a shocking way to treat customers. shame on you Samsung !!!!!!!!

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
As the post above said, you drop and break the phone it's on you. However, the insurance we buy for our phones is ridiculous. We spend around $2400 (depending on which plan you choose) for a two year contract, and on top of that, have to pay a deductible that cost close to what the cost of the phone is subsidized (which IMHO is about what the carriers purchase the phones wholesale), so the carriers should provide you/anyone with a NEW phone.
off my soapbox
As far as the Gorilla Glass goes, Gorilla Glass original and Gorilla Glass 2 have the same strength, Gorilla Glass 2 is just not as thick.

Good luck
Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia