LTE/CDMA or Automatic?

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I got my new shiny Sprint Galaxy Note 2 a week ago today. I have faced impossible call issues ever since, bad connection, calls go in and out of silence, drop, etc. Sprint has walked me through some measures, like updating the profile, or PRL, all to no avail.

I asked today if this is related to poor 4G and trying to grab a 4G or 3G signal, they said perhaps and had me change the phone to CDMA only on mobile networks. I thought this would limit 4G always, and not a good solution. She said when I was in 4G, I would have to select that manually. Yea right!

I asked why not Automatic. I was told that that could latch onto roaming networks like Verizon and ATT. I asked what was wrong with that, if you can't give me a signal? She said nothing really, but clearly did not steer me in that direction.

I turned it on to Automatic. So far, no call issues. But only made one call, I will continue to test.

What do you do? I figure that as long as it seeks 4G/3G on Sprint first, the phone should be able to automatically look elsewhere if Sprint could not deliver.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me you shouldn't be having that type of problem. I'm not sure what your return window is, but I would consider exchanging it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My last day of 14 is the 20th. At the suggestion of Sprint, I did take it in last night and got a new one. Made one good call this morning that lasted for a while, then mad many problematic calls. I received a call this evening from a Sprint rep (other than constructing new towers, they are trying their best) and she put a special (?) PRL on the phone, number 25009. Once she could tell it took, we then had a 30 minute call that was perfect, who knows.

She also agreed to send me an Airwave at their expense with no ongoing fees. Perhaps that will help in the home.

I am trying hard to keep this phone, thats for sure.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
My last day of 14 is the 20th. At the suggestion of Sprint, I did take it in last night and got a new one. Made one good call this morning that lasted for a while, then mad many problematic calls. I received a call this evening from a Sprint rep (other than constructing new towers, they are trying their best) and she put a special (?) PRL on the phone, number 25009. Once she could tell it took, we then had a 30 minute call that was perfect, who knows.

She also agreed to send me an Airwave at their expense with no ongoing fees. Perhaps that will help in the home.

Only problem I had was bad signal in buildings, but I had that problem with all my other phones. Only solution is force roam option. Either root to use a force roam app or use the free option from qbking77.com I tried it and it works pretty good. Hopefully with the many upgrades sprint is doing the problems will start to get smaller.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

That's great they seem to be trying to do what they can to help you.

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Only problem I had was bad signal in buildings, but I had that problem with all my other phones. Only solution is force roam option. Either root to use a force roam app or use the free option from qbking77.com I tried it and it works pretty good. Hopefully with the many upgrades sprint is doing the problems will start to get smaller.

I used the method Tim described at QbKing77.com - Home and was successful getting the Verizon PRL in the phone, but had the same horrible experience. I am not sure it is working correctly. I could get the PRL number to display at Settings > About Device > Status, but even though I should have been roaming, the phone still read "Not roaming" on that screen and the mobile network state constantly reads "Disconnected", no matter if I have the Verizon PRL in there or a Sprint one.

I am facing having to turn this phone in and I love the dang thing.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
After trying the qbking77 method it worked the first time but have tried several times after that to get a good signal inside buildings and it hasn't worked again.

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Here we go again.

A week ago today I returned the 2nd GN2 and cancelled my upgrade with Sprint. I then tried to cancel my Sprint account due to lack of service, and got some serious push back. In an online chat I was told absolutely not, you will pay ETF's.

A couple days ago I spoke to a more reasonable phone support person, she was sempathetic and said yes Sprint should let me out, but you could make abetter case if you made that request while using the phone that could not get service. Besides she said, in SW Houston, there had been a couple tower issues. Also, I had an Airave on the way and could test this phone at least at home with the Airave.

So tomorrow, I will get delivered both the Airave and ANOTHER GN2.

I really want this phone, hope this works this time. I don't want to go to Verizon, its quite a bit more expensive monthly, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Anyone else have any experience in Sugar Land? How about your coverage settings, what gets you the best consistent phone call if you do have problems, CDMA only, LTE/CDMA or Automatic?

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again.

A week ago today I returned the 2nd GN2 and cancelled my upgrade with Sprint. I then tried to cancel my Sprint account due to lack of service, and got some serious push back. In an online chat I was told absolutely not, you will pay ETF's.

A couple days ago I spoke to a more reasonable phone support person, she was sempathetic and said yes Sprint should let me out, but you could make abetter case if you made that request while using the phone that could not get service. Besides she said, in SW Houston, there had been a couple tower issues. Also, I had an Airave on the way and could test this phone at least at home with the Airave.

So tomorrow, I will get delivered both the Airave and ANOTHER GN2.

I really want this phone, hope this works this time. I don't want to go to Verizon, its quite a bit more expensive monthly, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Anyone else have any experience in Sugar Land? How about your coverage settings, what gets you the best consistent phone call if you do have problems, CDMA only, LTE/CDMA or Automatic?

If the only problem with signal you have is at to your house then the airave will definitely work. I have one and I get full signal. Only problem now is my signal is horrible inside stores like Walmart and target. If network vision doesn't solve this I'm switching companies.

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If the only problem with signal you have is at to your house then the airave will definitely work. I have one and I get full signal. Only problem now is my signal is horrible inside stores like Walmart and target. If network vision doesn't solve this I'm switching companies.

If only inside, I would be hopeful.

I have several times during most calls even driving down the road where the other person can't hear me, the call seldom drops fully. I am willing to concede that there could have been tower issues during the time I tried before thus this third phone.

I too am switching companies if it does not work. For our 5 phones, it will cost me $70 more a month to go to verizon, from sprint, but if thats what it takes to get service, I will do it.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
We have the same problem with reception here at home since joining sprint almost 4 years ago. We started with palm pres and could not get any signal while at home. A airave fixed that. We now have the notes(both of us) and we couldn't be happier. I would definitely give the airave a try. I don't think you will be disappointed

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If only inside, I would be hopeful.

I have several times during most calls even driving down the road where the other person can't hear me, the call seldom drops fully. I am willing to concede that there could have been tower issues during the time I tried before thus this third phone.

I too am switching companies if it does not work. For our 5 phones, it will cost me $70 more a month to go to verizon, from sprint, but if thats what it takes to get service, I will do it.

Aw, man. A friend has the same problem here with her S3. Sprint has given her 3 new handsets and it's still randomly cutting voice calls all over town. I was hoping it's user error but after seeing this....

I got an S3 and Note2 for myself for xmas. Crossing fingers and hoping you find a way to resolve this. Good luck.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine only drops calls in buildings that are as big as walmart. Other than that I get great signal coverage. As for data speed, I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say that the force roam hack is my new best friend, at least till they finish all the network upgrades.

jdod

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
As for data speed, I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say that the force roam hack is my new best friend, at least till they finish all the network upgrades.

Are you referring to the qbking77 method? I read a few posts back where that did not help you consistently? I know there is an app also, that method requires root however, which I plan to do at some point. I don't have a problem using this at all if I can get it to work. The worst thing that can happen is Sprint kicks me out for roaming data, I keep all our phones, sell them and get on Verizon.

The one thing that attracts me to go Verizon is there is a root hack that tells the phone your SD card can store apps, the one I saw was a Verizon hack. But this a topic for another thread.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to the qbking77 method? I read a few posts back where that did not help you consistently? I know there is an app also, that method requires root however, which I plan to do at some point. I don't have a problem using this at all if I can get it to work. The worst thing that can happen is Sprint kicks me out for roaming data, I keep all our phones, sell them and get on Verizon.

The one thing that attracts me to go Verizon is there is a root hack that tells the phone your SD card can store apps, the one I saw was a Verizon hack. But this a topic for another thread.

That's the one. It has worked for me every time. Only thing I have to do is force the prl from Verizon 2 times every time before it locks on. The root method is definitely better but I'm going to wait a little more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech