Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Technosticrati
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going from WP7 to SGN2

I have a HTC Arrive for Windows Phone 7, and I do like the Windows ecosystem, but Sprint isn't showing much love to the Windows world. And none of the new devices have a physical keyboard.

I'm leery to leave my physical keyboard, but i think the size of the Note 2 and the stylus will help ease the transition for me...

so anyhow... has anyone made the leap from WP7 to Android or the Note 2 specifically? any bumps or bruises? anything you miss?
    DAS

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

Default Re: Going from WP7 to SGN2

I did not make the leap from WP7 to Android, but I did make the leap from physical keyboard to onscreen. In fact, my wife still refuses to leave the comfort and familiarity of the physical keyboard.

At first I was a bit leery and thought there was no way I could type without physically feeling the keys as I typed (I thought my accuracy would be compromised). However, despite my reservations I decided to make the leap and have not looked back. Now I cannot even imagine using a physical keyboard just because of the added bulk it would add to the phone.

The S-pen will make the transition even easier because you will not be forced to type in every situation, however, I believe you will find the large screen and placement of the characters on the keyboard very user friendly. I recommend going into your local carrier store a few times a week to play with the keyboard. The more you get comfortable with it the more you'll realize a physical keyboard is not needed for accuracy and speed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I went to a Best Buy and tried out the display, and the typing didn't seem too bad, and S-Pen seems really cool... thanks for the reply

I made the Switch and love every bit of the note2. Honestly I rarely used the Physical Keyboard, maybe 6-7 times Since owning my HTC Arrive. Theres just so much more you can do.

I can't comment on the windows phone specifically, but I was a BlackBerry user for years. Loved the keyboard. But, BlackBerry couldn't keep up with the media and the apps capacity of Android and Apple. After years of using BlackBerry, I bought an epic 4g -- a slider. The keyboard was a nice transition for me, but after learning about Swype and Swiftkey I rarely used the physical keyboard again.

I don't miss the physical keyboard at all.

Sent via Tapatalk.
    Phone: Galaxy Note 2 | ROM: Stock | Kernel: Stock
    Tablet: Transformer Prime | ROM: Hairy Bean | Kernel: Clemsyn

Last time I used a physical keyboard was with the htc touch pro. I loved it. It was a true full keyboard. But I am so used to touchscreen now that with swype I think I'm faster at typing.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

I'm on Sprint and made the switch from the Arrive to an HTC Evo LTE. Things I miss about Windows Phone:

* Speed, fluidity of the OS. Windows Phone works while Android is buggy.
    * Interface. My personal preference is a clean look and WP has the cleanest looking interface in the mobile sphere.
    * Built in functions like text to voice and blue tooth text messaging, Bing Music Search, opening apps by voice command, etc.

Things I love about Android and why I don't miss Windows Phone in general:

* Swype This is the greatest invention since the physical keyboard. I was a die hard Palm fan who would have rather have walked on glass than use a digital kb. I'll never go back or use any phone which doesn't use some form of Swype.
    * Browser choices. They simply don't exist on WP. Every browser has a cool feature set on Android so try them all and see what fits you.
    * File Exploring System. So basic, so necessary for a smartphone today. Why Windows Phone doesn't have it is beyond me.
    * Screen shots. It's amazing how much you'll use this feature when you have it.
    * Choices. Android is all about options. It's really just a beautiful thing to have this much control over a device from the interface customization to the app customization Android allows you to make your phone, Your phone.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    yankeesusa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by I-can't-believe-I-fricken-use-Android View Post
    I'm on Sprint and made the switch from the Arrive to an HTC Evo LTE. Things I miss about Windows Phone:

* Speed, fluidity of the OS. Windows Phone works while Android is buggy.
    * Interface. My personal preference is a clean look and WP has the cleanest looking interface in the mobile sphere.
    * Built in functions like text to voice and blue tooth text messaging, Bing Music Search, opening apps by voice command, etc.

Things I love about Android and why I don't miss Windows Phone in general:

* Swype This is the greatest invention since the physical keyboard. I was a die hard Palm fan who would have rather have walked on glass than use a digital kb. I'll never go back or use any phone which doesn't use some form of Swype.
    * Browser choices. They simply don't exist on WP. Every browser has a cool feature set on Android so try them all and see what fits you.
    * File Exploring System. So basic, so necessary for a smartphone today. Why Windows Phone doesn't have it is beyond me.
    * Screen shots. It's amazing how much you'll use this feature when you have it.
    * Choices. Android is all about options. It's really just a beautiful thing to have this much control over a device from the interface customization to the app customization Android allows you to make your phone, Your phone.

While, I agree with most of your points, "Speed, fluidity" and "being buggy" are no longer valid points on the newer android phones.
    I've used an EVO, Photon, Epic Touch (S2), S3, and now the Note 2.

I noticed that the S2 struggled when it was upgraded to ICS from Gingerbread, but with jelly bean and project butter android phones are just as smooth as anything out there from windows or ios.

Quote Originally Posted by seoulbrova View Post
    While, I agree with most of your points, "Speed, fluidity" and "being buggy" are no longer valid points on the newer android phones.
    I've used an EVO, Photon, Epic Touch (S2), S3, and now the Note 2.

I noticed that the S2 struggled when it was upgraded to ICS from Gingerbread, but with jelly bean and project butter android phones are just as smooth as anything out there from windows or ios.
    I should clarify, it is buggier than WP but is completely worth it and well within the range of tolerance. I do a reset about once a week or two on my Evo. On my Arrive I needed a reset once every month or two. No big deal but it's clearly a result of the design philosophies, Android is open while WP is pretty much locked down.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for your replies, they've been very helpful.
    What do you mean by "File Exploring System" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    Thanks for your replies, they've been very helpful.
    What do you mean by "File Exploring System" ?
    The ability to access files and folders within the phone's disk space like on a desktop pc. Here's a pic:

Here's the pic...

Heck, I couldn't even have uploaded this pic on a Windows Phone because it doesn't allow for screen shots.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going from WP7 to SGN2-uploadfromtaptalk1356042456181.jpg  

It will take some getting use to but, if you were an earlier WindowsMobile user, I think you will like it. I have really big hands so I have always had sliders since I moved to Smartphones. THis screen is very easy to use and type on.

I agree with you in the likes of the WP systems. I really appreciate the fluidity and intuitive response the WindowsPhone has much much better than what Android offers. But, I do find the Android is a little easier to manipulate between your home computer device. Not everything has to run through Zune like we did with WP7. Also, you'll find a lot more apps to do a lot more things on your Droid than you did on Windows. I for one, have really liked the apps that I used to have on WinMo for my Medical job that did not get transitioned to WinPho but are there on Droid(and iOS), Lot's of other types of apps that just didn't exist on Windows and there seemed to be little interest developing them either. And! Many of the apps the we had and used on Windows, are a lot cheaper on Droid. There was a few that I payed 2-6.99 for on Windows that are .99 or free on Droid. Also, I came from the older PDA days and really missed the stylus when phones went to touch screen only.

I'm far from a fanboy for Droid, but I'm not WP fanboy either. Each have their plus' and minus' My hope is that in the next couple of years WP8********* or whatever comes through by 2014/15 will be equal to what's out there now for the other OS'.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks for clearing that up. I would like to have folders to organize things, I had 2 different BB's prior to going to WP7, and I could make folders and whatnot there...

I do like Zune, and I have the Zune pass, but I also have a Zune player, so I will just use that. I can't wait to get my Note 2, I plan on trying to get one on Saturday

I had a HTC HD7 windows phone on Tmobile and i loved it, I was attending school in a no Tmo service area so went to Sprint. Now I have the Note 2 and I love it. I don't know if I adapt well to phones or what, but I have no problems with my note 2