Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Skunkape60
  • 2 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Good phone for student?

Im looking at getting the Note 2 either this weekend or later next week, i have a Droid X2 right now on page plus and love it. I just want to know if the Note 2 is a good phone for a college student, as far as email, power point, word, etc. I have 3 classes and about a hour and half in between them to do homework or what ever, is the battery good for a day of a few calls, couple hundred text, under 100 emails, and some gaming/youtube/web browsing? Thanks!
    2001 Dodge Dakota Patriot Blue!!!
    3.9L "beast"
    Magnaflow and gutted cat.

Lg Marquee > Droid 1 > Droid X2 > Galaxy Note 2 "The Beast"

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Good phone for student?

I think it'll be a good fit for you. The battery is really good. Nice big screen for viewing content. Handwriting mode and voice recorder for taking notes.
    Go to the store and play with it first but you should have a winner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.
    Retired Ambassador

I've had the note 2 since Wednesday. So far it's had the best battery life of any smart phone I've ever used. I'M IMPRESSED.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 01-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Johnly and Scott Kenyon like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The only think keeping me from buying it is the $300 price tag, is it worth buying it? I mean its a lot of phone (no pun intended haha) but its $299 + the $36 activation fee + taxes, Thats about $350 ish. Ill be on the "family plan" with unlimited everything but land line minutes, but who really dont have a cell phone nowadays. Plus im thinking about just getting a new number since not many family/friends have my number right now i can just give them my new one. Is it worth getting or is there a sale i should wait a week or two for? Thanks all, also anyone have the Otterbox Commuter case, i want a case but nothing thats huge haha. Thanks.
    3.9L "beast"

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ghostkilla1388 View Post
    The only think keeping me from buying it is the $300 price tag, is it worth buying it? I mean its a lot of phone (no pun intended haha) but its $299 + the $36 activation fee + taxes, Thats about $350 ish. Ill be on the "family plan" with unlimited everything but land line minutes, but who really dont have a cell phone nowadays. Plus im thinking about just getting a new number since not many family/friends have my number right now i can just give them my new one. Is it worth getting or is there a sale i should wait a week or two for? Thanks all, also anyone have the Otterbox Commuter case, i want a case but nothing thats huge haha. Thanks.
    I bought the galaxy s3 on Sprint during the pre-order so i was one of the first in the usa to have one. I didn't have another update available. So i paid the activation fee, the $299 and knowing my monthly bill will be increased by $35, I bought the G Note2 without a 2nd thought. I don't regret it one bit. The phone has been flawless for me. My poor gs3 hasn't been turned on since...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Johnly and DroidXcon like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well if i can convince my dad (even though its my money and im paying everything) ill get one tomorrow and hopefully in titanium grey. I personally like the grey over the white. Thanks all for the help!
    3.9L "beast"

Well if i can convince my dad (even though its my money and im paying everything) ill get one tomorrow and hopefully in titanium grey. I personally like the grey over the white. Thanks all for the help!
    If you get it from amazon or walmart you can get it from under $200. You may even be able to get best buy to price match it.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    I bought the galaxy s3 on Sprint during the pre-order so i was one of the first in the usa to have one. I didn't have another update available. So i paid the activation fee, the $299 and knowing my monthly bill will be increased by $35, I bought the G Note2 without a 2nd thought. I don't regret it one bit. The phone has been flawless for me. My poor gs3 hasn't been turned on since...
    BBOOOOO!!!!! TRAITOR!!!!......lol!!......ok, I'm jealous!!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well so far bestbuy don't have one in stock, and don't know when they will get one in. Think I should just fork up $340 at a sprint store?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums
    3.9L "beast"

Well so far bestbuy don't have one in stock, and don't know when they will get one in. Think I should just fork up $340 at a sprint store?

Earlier this morning Radio Shack had the Note II for $199. I don't know if that was online only or what colors.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
    Earlier this morning Radio Shack had the Note II for $199. I don't know if that was online only or what colors.
    Was that a online deal or in store thing? I start college tomorrow and I know my Droid X2 will be used in between classes for homework(aka entertainment)

3.9L "beast"

Was that a online deal or in store thing? I start college tomorrow and I know my Droid X2 will be used in between classes for homework(aka entertainment)

Not sure. Maybe call a store in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    If you get it from amazon or walmart you can get it from under $200. You may even be able to get best buy to price match it.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    Yea i paid 212.00 tax and all, i printed out an amazon website and they matched it at BB
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by teddysjam View Post
    Yea i paid 212.00 tax and all, i printed out an amazon website and they matched it at BB
    I know BB was price matching Amazon before the holiday, they may still be. Currently. The upgrade price at Amazon is 249.99. New line is 99. New plan is 119' I think. Check radio shack, Wal-Mart, and other retailers and see if you can price match.

Plus the 36 activation won't be charged until new bill.

Sent from my G-Note 2
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well halfway through my first day if college and I wish I had a Note 2, my Droid X2 is running "ok" its restarted 4 times and after about 2 hours it's still hasn't finished downloading Angry Birds yet the battery is decent at 81% took off charge at 6:30am this morning.

3.9L "beast"

ROM
    Stock

Definitely good for a student, I use my gn2 whenever I need to start a paper and dont have a computer to use. Office suite pro is a must if your always having to write papers. The galaxy note 2 is really great expecially if your a student or a business person. I use the spen all the time cause Its easy to write by swiping that way. Battery life; oofff.. This thing gets 5 stars in my book for battery even over my Previous phone(htc one x+)

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Well my phone finally almost died on me at 4:30pm today, was sending a text then the "you better charge me or else" prompt came up haha and i had to plug it up the almost hour of playing angry birds didnt help haha. I hope the battery on the Galaxy Note 2 battery is good for about 1 hour of phone calls, roughtly 100-200 text about 100 emails and some gaming/web browsing/etc for at least 3 hours and still have some battery left after unplugging at 6am to roughly 10pm at night maybe latter some days.
    3.9L "beast"

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

This say anything? 2.5 hrs screen on, music playing, gta3 for a little while... lots of fb messenger (use that over texts to my fiancee due to service issues)

Sent from my G-Note 2
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

That's pretty good. Just a little update I called my local bestbuy and was told that they still price match amazon but only have the white version in stock. I want the grey one but I'm going to get a otterbox commuter case for the phone, my only question about the otterbox is the screen protector that comes with the case, should I put it on or just leave it off? But first I need to get the phone then sell my Droid X2 after my page plus runs out.

3.9L "beast"

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I myself prefer matte screen protectors, so I'm waiting for one to get to me. You can always get the white one, with the otterbox you'll never know the difference. Plus from bb, you can return for the gray one of they get it within 30 days. Once I'm allowed to drive again, I'm gonna see if I can return mine for the titanium one.

Sent from my G-Note 2
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    I myself prefer matte screen protectors, so I'm waiting for one to get to me. You can always get the white one, with the otterbox you'll never know the difference. Plus from bb, you can return for the gray one of they get it within 30 days. Once I'm allowed to drive again, I'm gonna see if I can return mine for the titanium one.

Sent from my G-Note 2
    Underlined part made me laugh haha, im between ordering on amazon or going to bestbuy to get it and just put a case on it, the white dont bother me i guess im use to black or grey phones through the year. Im not one for change haha.
    3.9L "beast"

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

If anyone has the Otterbox Defender case can you say if the rubber on the outside comes off like the older ones? I hated that about them, also any noted lag when using the s pen? And is it slide in to jeans well? Thanks looking to get my phone and case at the same time once i get out to get it actually, im leaning towards the commuter but would like the extra protection of the defender if the rubber outer part dosent fall of every time i touch a side of the phone. Thanks!
    3.9L "beast"

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Underlined part made me laugh haha, im between ordering on amazon or going to bestbuy to get it and just put a case on it, the white dont bother me i guess im use to black or grey phones through the year. Im not one for change haha.
    I just had a surgery this past Saturday, and as long as I'm on painkillers, I'm not allowed to drive... :/
    As for the defender series, never had a problem on my photon but I haven't got one for this yet

Sent from my G-Note 2
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    I just had a surgery this past Saturday, and as long as I'm on painkillers, I'm not allowed to drive... :/
    As for the defender series, never had a problem on my photon but I haven't got one for this yet

Sent from my G-Note 2
    Well I hope you heal up better and quick! I have read many reviews saying that the only thing they don't like about the defender on the note 2 is the screen protector. I'm going to get one once I get a note 2, I still haven't made it out to bestbuy yet.

3.9L "beast"

Thanked by:
    tirith