Note 2 disappoints in the new 3dMark app :-(

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I know how everyone feels about benchmarks, but they are still fun to run and compare.

My own score for the regular test, not the extreme, is 3442, which really is rather pathetic seeing how my friend with his AT&T GS3 scored 4792, and my other friend with the Sprint Optimus G scored 7482!

Clearly, the old Mali 400 under the hood of the Note 2 just is outdated and old, and it doesn't matter that we have several of them. Thank god for Quadrant, at least I am midpack compared with my friends, not last! Well, I wouldn't be last if my buddy with is Epic 4G Touch would even bother running the thing.

I am glad 3dMark came out though, it's a great cross platform benchmark that puts it all into perspective. Looking forward to seeing the iPhone and Windows RT versions as well!

If you know a magic trick to get into the 4000's without rooting and overclocking, let me know!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just pulled 4096 not the best but not bad I know the 400mp4 isnt the strongest but in daily use along with game play this is better than the s3 but the Optimus g is a beast just didnt like it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing you perform better because you're rooted? Oh well... waiting for that Note 3! I guess Samsung got tired of the Mali GPU which is why they are using a Power VR now in the Exynos 5 Octa. My guess is that the Note 3 will have that SoC on board.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My score was 3329. Little surprised to see it so low, but not sure it affects anything. The device runs fine for me with what I use and don't notice any slow downs at all.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My score was 3329. Little surprised to see it so low, but not sure it affects anything. The device runs fine for me with what I use and don't notice any slow downs at all.

I was surprised too until I remembered what GPU we have.... it used to be a screamer, the old Mali 400, now, not so much. Almost feels like Samsung is doing something Applesque to us. Apple always updates the hardware under the hood rather significantly going from one generation iPhone to the next, but doesn't do much in the Software feature department. Samsung floods us with new Software features, but now recycles it's own SoC or, if shortage exists (or with LTE compatibility problems in the past) goes with the (up until now) less desirable Qualcomm solution. I have noticed their slogan about it not just being about the hardware, but more about the software. I want a total package, screaming hardware and lots of cool software features, but I guess that's too much to ask, when you want reasonable battery life as well.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The exynos 5 octa should do well in this test I guess going by the numbers it shouod perform about the same as the adreno 320. But I want samsung to blow me away with the note 3 give it the mali t678mp2 or the sgx6 series from imagination. But keeep in mind we are using s chip thats over a year old with a gpu thats even older. I will happily take the slight decrease in gaming performance if it means im getting great features in a phone thst will last me a full day of usage.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just ran my Nexus 4 through it and got a score of 10,688. Pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Who would have thought that the Adreno chip would be the king of mobile. Think back of the Original Evo 4G days and how poor the Adreno did in that phone... We have come a loooong way in a short time!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
For now yes qualcomm is killing it and I'm happy for it. At the end of the day it makes other chip makers step up their game but the 320 still laggs behind the 554mp4 and is comparable to the 544mp3. Want to see how the next generation chips will do with the arm mali t678 and the sgx6 series both should make even the adreno 330 look bad

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For now yes qualcomm is killing it and I'm happy for it. At the end of the day it makes other chip makers step up their game but the 320 still laggs behind the 554mp4 and is comparable to the 544mp3. Want to see how the next generation chips will do with the arm mali t678 and the sgx6 series both should make even the adreno 330 look bad

I am not fluent in PowerVR GPU's, but is the 554mp4 the one that is both in the iPhone 5 and the GS4 with Octa?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Botg the iPhone and octa use the 544mp3 which is great much better thab whats in the note 2. The ipad 4th gen uses the 554mp4 which is top dog right now untip we can see how the tegra4 fairs. But keep in mund the octa uses the 543mp3 clocked higher thsn the iPhone 500ish mhz rather than 300ish mhz so that will help it out quite a bit. Then when you consider that the octa had the same memory bandwidth of the ipad 4th gen lets me know that it should fly.
And if you want to see the note 2 stutter use glbenchmark 2.7 the t-Rex test really taxes this gpu. But what I found to be odd is that my on screen scores were higher than off screen. Attached is a screen shot of how my phone faired using glbenchmark

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-04-23-43-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-04-23-43-44.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 26

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That's a great score. Not really worried about the performance of tgus phone due to those two benchmarks yet because they stress the hardware much more than any game i will see this year and maybe next year. I know the adreno 320 is a beast but seeing how I dont play too many games and what I do play are granny smith and temple run 2 I think im good. Now if this chip cant run dead trigger 2 without issues then I will have an issue

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that no matter what a benchmark says every app or game that I have thrown at my note 2 have been flawless. No complaints. I would never in my right mind give up the note 2 for the nexus 4 because of benchmark results.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I got 17304 in Antutu not bad really only one it Shows ranking higher is the S4

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums