1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Sprint Galaxy Note 2 - Which app is accessing my GPS?

So, I've always left my GPS turned on since it would only activate when an app needed to know my location. This was rare and only activated for 30 sec to a minute so never caused a problem. Now, my GPS will activate and stay in for sometimes 5 minutes at a time and of coarse that's killing my battery. It's got to be a poorly coded app doing this, but I'm on Jelly Bean 4.3, and don't have the new KitKat potion to see which app recently accessed my GPS. Long pressing the GPS "searching" from the notif bar and selecting App Info only takes me to System Info.

Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Which app is accessing my GPS?

Are you using Google Now? This is usually the biggest culprit when it comes to location-aware battery munchers...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 - Which app is accessing my GPS?

I do use Google Now, but I've always used it, and the issue is recent. I love Google Now and that is the main reason I leave GPS turned on its so I can get that benefit. However, something is activating it and not turning it back off. That's the problem.

Put active apps manager widget on your home screen. It will tell you how many apps are running and turn red when it's using a lot of juice and ram. It's a stock widget. If you tap it, it will go to active apps.

Google has a bug with location services with the 4.3 update, Samsung told me the other day. They are working on a fix. That could be the issue, it has been causing the play store to have a lot of wake locks and use a lot of battery, I'm sure it affects things like Google Now.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by johnboo21 View Post
    Put active apps manager widget on your home screen. It will tell you how many apps are running and turn red when it's using a lot of juice and ram. It's a stock widget. If you tap it, it will go to active apps.
    I can't seem to find anything in the play store by the name active apps manager, might I ask, is there another name for it? Who is the developer?

Quote Originally Posted by radiohawk View Post
    I can't seem to find anything in the play store by the name active apps manager, might I ask, is there another name for it? Who is the developer?

It's not in the app store. It's preloaded on our phones. Just look in your widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by ForTheGlory View Post
    So, I've always left my GPS turned on since it would only activate when an app needed to know my location. This was rare and only activated for 30 sec to a minute so never caused a problem. Now, my GPS will activate and stay in for sometimes 5 minutes at a time and of coarse that's killing my battery. It's got to be a poorly coded app doing this, but I'm on Jelly Bean 4.3, and don't have the new KitKat potion to see which app recently accessed my GPS. Long pressing the GPS "searching" from the notif bar and selecting App Info only takes me to System Info.

Any ideas?

To know exactly what is using your gps, install gsam battery checker. In this app you can select the apps list of what is using things on your phone. Once you select this you can then list the apps that are using your gps. I had the same problem before and this solved all my issues. Once you find out you can uninstall the app or keep which I did because it's a very useful and informative app.

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock

I was able to resolve this issue yesterday. Since I am on 4.3, the APP OPS app still works. After checking it I noticed that in the"location"section it not only tells which apps are accessing location, but also tells how long ago is been since they did so. I waited until the GPS kicked on for more than 2 minutes, opened APP OPS and found the culprit. It was the App I use for tracking a & balancing my budget. Can't delete it, but thanks to App Ops I could turn off its ability to access GPS.