Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TedHackler
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apps and Files on my SD Card. WHAT do I need to do before KitKat upgrade?

OK, I read Jerry's article on the SD Card changes for KK and I'm one of those people who've actually used my SD Card for storage of files and a few apps.

From what I read, I can move my apps back over to main storage but, all my Ebooks, Podcasts, Photos, etc will no longer be available? Am I right on this or have I misread things?

I don't have a lot of apps on my SD card, but I always tried to use it to store the files they read and use on it. Here's my list.

Amazon Kindle(non special Samsung Version)
    BAM Reader2
    BeyondPod
    Box
    BSPlayer
    Firefox
    Moon+ Reader Pro
    MXPlayer

I need guidance on how I should proceed on this. I know I can easily move the data files over to my computer and backup everything but do I just need to accept that I just have to start over again with my apps and folders so they can create those special read only folders after I update to KitKat?

Thank You

Global Posts
    31,339 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Apps and Files on my SD Card. WHAT do I need to do before KitKat upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcd348 View Post
    I need guidance on how I should proceed on this. I know I can easily move the data files over to my computer and backup everything but do I just need to accept that I just have to start over again with my apps and folders so they can create those special read only folders after I update to KitKat?

Thank You
    I honestly think this is how you should approach this. I can't say for certain which way to go, as I no longer depend on SD cards, myself.

Default Re: Apps and Files on my SD Card. WHAT do I need to do before KitKat upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcd348 View Post
    OK, I read Jerry's article on the SD Card changes for KK and I'm one of those people who've actually used my SD Card for storage of files and a few apps.

From what I read, I can move my apps back over to main storage but, all my Ebooks, Podcasts, Photos, etc will no longer be available? Am I right on this or have I misread things?

I don't have a lot of apps on my SD card, but I always tried to use it to store the files they read and use on it. Here's my list.

Amazon Kindle(non special Samsung Version)
    BAM Reader2
    BeyondPod
    Box
    BSPlayer
    Firefox
    Moon+ Reader Pro
    MXPlayer

Thank You
    The way I understand it is that apps can't be moved to the SD card with KitKat 4.4. I have all my photos, music, and documents stored on the SD card now with 4.4 and they work fine. I moved all my apps back to phone storage before I updated to 4.4 and I stll have lots of storage left on my 16g Note 2. Of course I don't have tons of apps on my phone as I eliminated the ones I really didn't use frequently. Oh, and to be on the safe side I removed the SD card BEFORE I updated to KitKat 4.4. Someone recommended that on another forum I read somewhere and I thought that was a prudent move as I didn't want to reload all that data to the card if it got erased.

I left my SD card in my phone when I did the update. I had a lot of documents, pictures, and music on the SD card. None of that was disturbed in any way and of course the card was not reformatted. I did not have any programs installed on my SD card so that wasn't a problem for me. Could not find anything that didn't work like it did before as far as the SD card goes.
    indysteve9 likes this.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I had also read about the new restrictions concerning the KitKat upgrade. I installed the upgrade without moving any apps from the SD Card. I had expected to have to reload all my apps that had been moved to the SD card, but did not. I have not had any issue with these apps.

The application manager still shows the option to move apps to the SD card. The apps that had been moved to the SD Card still show the space used on the SD card. Not that I had moved a lot of apps to the SD card, but I have not seen any less space available on the device.

So far, I have only seen two apps with issues with the new restrictions. I had moved my download folder for the Dolphin browser and Doggcatcher podcast player to the SD card. When I tried to download something from within Dolphin and Doggcatcher, I would get an error message. I changed the folder to sdcard0, and have had no problems since.

I have set the camera on the phone to store to the SD card, and it has been storing pictures on the physical SD card. I have not had a chance to check more apps, so I cannot comment on those.

Still, it is probably better to backup first in case of problems. I believe you should do a hard reset (or perform a clean install on a Windows computer) periodically. Computers and devices seem to run better after. I was thinking it may be time to perform a had reset on my phone anyway. So far I have been pleasantly surprised with how easy it has been to move to 4.4.

The other issue I had was the phone blocked access to Location Services. My son's GS3 also had this same issue. I had to disable and then re-enable access to Location Services.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I went ahead and did the update. First time I tried to run BeyondPod, I got the error notification about KitKat and had to go back and reselect the use of the SD card and move the 3gb of podcasts back over to a new place on the card. I'm waiting on that to happen now so I can check my other apps and probably have to do the same.

I moved all the apps back over to the internal memory before I upgraded so now I'm just having to redownload and resave all the app data files to whatever folder it now creates on the card.

This is nearly enough to make me miss WinPhone except they don't have a Pen based phone.

I also have an SD card and after the upgrade to 4.4, my document app could no longer save to the SD card where I opened the document from. I use Docs to Go. I read that was a known issue but did not see that until after I experienced it myself. My music app could not save to my SD card where my library resides. I ended up rooting my phone. Now all works like before the upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

Just bear in mind that anything that is written to the removable sd card by an app (for example, Box) will not be able to be changed or deleted by another app (for example Docs to Go), other than the apps packaged with the phone.