I live in WV, my phone thinks it's in Texas?!

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have a really weird issue going on here that I think is attributed to the latest Kit Kat update of my Sprint Galaxy Note 2. When I modify the location services into "Power Saving" so that it only uses Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine my location, the front page weather/time widget indicates I'm in Bellaire, TX. When in fact I'm in the eastern Panhandle of WV. I disabled the "High Accuracy" mode so as to save battery.

Here's the funny part, when I had Android 4.2 installed, I always turned off the GPS radio and the location was always identified correctly regardless of either Wifi or Mobile network was being used.

While this is mostly an annoyance, it does mess up the time in my text messages and throws them out of order. I will note that this mostly happens when I'm on my Airave 2.5. Previously with 4.2 location showed up correctly regardless of Airrave or mobile towers.

Any ideas on how to solve this without draining my battery?? I've got my phone loaded with apps and tweaked that under minimal usage I can go 4 days on a single charge with the OEM battery.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have a really weird issue going on here that I think is attributed to the latest Kit Kat update of my Sprint Galaxy Note 2. When I modify the location services into "Power Saving" so that it only uses Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine my location, the front page weather/time widget indicates I'm in Bellaire, TX. When in fact I'm in the eastern Panhandle of WV. I disabled the "High Accuracy" mode so as to save battery.

Here's the funny part, when I had Android 4.2 installed, I always turned off the GPS radio and the location was always identified correctly regardless of either Wifi or Mobile network was being used.

While this is mostly an annoyance, it does mess up the time in my text messages and throws them out of order. I will note that this mostly happens when I'm on my Airave 2.5. Previously with 4.2 location showed up correctly regardless of Airrave or mobile towers.

Any ideas on how to solve this without draining my battery?? I've got my phone loaded with apps and tweaked that under minimal usage I can go 4 days on a single charge with the OEM battery.

Can you manually input the location like most weather widgets?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I can manually set the widget (the default weather widget on the Note 2 homescreen) to my location, but that doesn't resolve the issue. Ever since the 4.4 upgrade, something on how Google verifies my location using the Location services still thinks I'm in Texas, not WV. It makes me think there is a flaw or a bug in how it tries to figure out where I am based on router IP...? Or is the Sprint Airave 2.5 messing it up...?

It's not a deal breaker, but is annoying regardless.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Try this: type *#0011# in the dial pad and see if it lists WV next to state or ST. Also, after doing the above step, turn off your cellular data, repeat the above step, and then press the menu button and select WiFi. See what your phone's location says when you're under wifi.

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried that with wifi turned off (using my Airave as cellular data source) and the ServiceMode window appeared only to show no service. I suspect that is related to the Airave.

I tried with cellular data off and using only wifi. I received the same "No Service" in the Service Mode Window.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried that with wifi turned off (using my Airave as cellular data source) and the ServiceMode window appeared only to show no service. I suspect that is related to the Airave.

I tried with cellular data off and using only wifi. I received the same "No Service" in the Service Mode Window.

Hmm. That's strange. Who's your carrier? Was this a preowned device?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The carrier is Sprint, clean ESN, and I'm the only owner. It's definitely not hardware based.

It works with high accuracy on, however the GPS drains my battery too much and that is the goal to keep GPS turned off. Just like in Jellybean. Even then with GPS turned off it would still accurately report my zipcode/town in the weather widget. So something changed in KitKat and I can't figure out what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles