Is The Display 480 x 800?

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I found it interesting that they talk of the screen size but nothing about the resolution.

I guess we'll know in a few...

Honis#WP

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
4.5" at 480x800 is about 207 Pixels per inch

For comparison (PPI):
iPhone 3GS: 163
iPhone 4: 326
Palm Pre: 186
Galaxy S: 233
Motorola Photon: 275
HTC EVO:216
HTC EVO 3D: 256

Numbers either pulled from the phones wikipedia article or calculated using this.

PPI is about taking the jagged edges out of lines that are not going straight horizontal or vertical. Most reviewers for most phones ignore jaggies and comment on colors. Going by the raw numbers the S2 is a step back in terms of PPI (the trolls point). Retina displays are between 300 and 500 PPI depending mostly on what source you read. The S2 being a super... screen probably means the color range should be unmatched.

I'm ok with the 200ish PPI. I never noticed them on my Palm Pre in games or pictures. I do notice the nicer colors of my Nexus S but for some reason find it easier to see the pixels and jaggies. Maybe I just haven't scuffed the Nexus S screen enough to get a smoothing anti-aliasing effect. :p

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Really? My wife just got a Galaxy S 4G and I'm jealous of her screen. The thing is beautiful. It blows my Evo away. And for a single core phone it moves. If this didn't get my attention that would be my alternative. This Evo has GOT to go.

Until we get it in our hands, we won't know. Specs tell us quite a bit, but until you have it in your hands there's no way you'll be able to determine if the "Short comings" told by the specs will even mean anything to you. Spec wise the Photon is a beast, but that screen drove me NUTS. That's just me, though. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you guys I had the original galaxy s and I could pick pixels on that out slightly now with a 4.5 it would be really bad

The Galaxy S has a SAMOLED screen with the PenTile sub-pixel matrix. The SII has a SAMOLED PLUS screen which uses a RGB Stripe matrix, resulting in more sub-pixels.

Look guys. This arguement is silly. Higher resolution doesn't always translate into a better viewing experience. Just as SAMOLED PLUS screens are not the second coming of Christ. There are trade-offs with every screen, and in the end, all that matters is how the screen looks to YOU the owner, which is very subjective.

Last edited:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy S has a SAMOLED screen with the PenTile sub-pixel matrix. The SII has a SAMOLED PLUS screen which uses a RGB Stripe matrix, resulting in more sub-pixels.

Lool guys. This agruement is silly. Higher resolution doesn't always translate into a better viewing experience. Just as SAMOLED PLUS screens are not the second coming of Christ. There are trade-offs with every screen, and in the end, all that matters is how the screen looks to YOU the owner, which is very subjective.
A Great sticky post that puts this topic to bed

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Lool guys. This agruement is silly. Higher resolution doesn't always translate into a better viewing experience. Just as SAMOLED PLUS screens are not the second coming of Christ. There are trade-offs with every screen, and in the end, all that matters is how the screen looks to YOU the owner, which is very subjective.

Well said. I still don't see why people make such a big deal about this. It's not like you're going to be 2 inches away from the screen and the only way you are going to be able to see the pixels is if you try to.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
So the og EVO has more ppi, what a step back! It will be real noticeable on such a big screen, I would think!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I hate to say it, but you sound like an anti-android commenter on an Engadget article. We get it, you've got problems with this phone. What's your end game, to halt sales of the GSII? Why don't you head over to your appropriate subforum and stop trying to ruin everyone's time here?

Reactions: milominderbinde

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to be objective, I know you phans that are blinded by the benchmarks, don't care about objectivity, but some people do!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

And that's fine, but the problem with how you're going about it is that it makes you look like a jerk. It's negativity that we don't really need. Calling people "phans that are blinded by the benchmarks" isn't helping anybody.

Reactions: milominderbinde

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
There's being objective and then there's just downright hatin'. You've been everywhere there's been negativity about this phone. Do you dislike it THAT much? How about we wait until it comes out and the guys actually review it before we decide how bad it is?

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I still prefer my nexus s 4gs screen over my evo 3ds. Reguardless of the resolution boost on the evo 3d, I still enjoy the deep blacks, and colors. Now with the Super amoled plus screen, I enjoy it much better than my evo, and the nexus s. I compared it with the infuse a while back.. The super amoled plus screens are the best imo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995