Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Really torn to either get Sprint GS2, or go Verizon Prime ?

I really want the new Prime pure vanilla Android phone running Ice Cream, but so far it looks to only be coming to Verizon. And who knows when Sprint will get a new "Nexus" device ? Sprint didn't get the Nexus-S until 5 months after release.

My Wife and I both have Nexus-S 4G's on Sprint, the family plan @ $129 per month. Don't think Verizon offers anything close to that ?

But Sprint service in Chicago is great for phone calls, but download speeds have really gone down lately, they were much better last Summer when I had the EVO 4G. And inside my house all my Sprint phones barely get any connection whatsoever.

I am torn on what to do ? I am sure the new Galaxy S2 will have Ice Cream ported over to it as fast as possible by the XDA crew, don't think the Prime hardware wise will be radically that much better ? Besides the better screen.
    Nexus 4 running on Straight Talk AT&T
    [ROM] Official CM10.1 Nightly 4.2.2
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

HTC "international" One X
    [ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

Default Re: Really torn to either get Sprint GS2, or go Verizon Prime ?

It's up to you man, but I'd say it's way too early to make a reasonable decision at this point. You could be waiting quite awhile for a new Nexus on Sprint though. If there's enough you don't like about the E4GT then you may decide to hold off and stick with your Nexus-S.

I'd venture to bet that Sprint's GSII will be pretty popular, making it likely that developers will get ICS on it eventually. Also, to loosely quote myself from another thread, "sometimes you have to jump off the treadmill and eat the damn cheese".

Obviously cell phone service/signal is a high priority. If your service has gone downhill, then it's time to move on to another provider that does have service. The fact that they will have a phone you want is an add plus. Time to go to Verizon.

ROM
    Stock

The Verizon "leak" is fake, intended on making you pause. In the end, Verizon will disappoint, as they always do. Ask all those who have been waiting since January for the Bionic.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

i agree that cell service is the highest priority. I also live near chicago (evanston) and I feel like sprint service is great. my friends with verizon also get great coverage. if you want my opinion, i'm going with the GSII because i use my camera a lot and the prime supposedly has 5 MP while the GSII has 8MP. I know camera quality isn't just about the MP but it's already been proven that the GSII takes very high quality pictures.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

My plan with Sprint is very good, family two Nexus-S phones unlimited $129 per month, and cell service has been great, very few dropped calls, where before with T-Mobile and ATT it sucked here in Chicago. ( But I will admit, 3g downloads speeds are poor, and YouTube videos seems to drag with Sprint ) Also would rather not have to also pay ETF fee for leaving Sprint. Best bet is to stick it out. Maybe wait to here more about other future Nexus devices. See how the Nexus-S is running Ice Cream first ?

But I do like what the Galaxy S2 has to offer. Beautiful screen and very powerful. And if XDA could port Ice Cream to the Galaxy S2 I be very happy. I would think the Prime hardware wise internally will not be radically different than the Sprint Galaxy S2, so a port of Android 4.0 by XDA I would guess could be fast ?
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

[ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    I really want the new Prime pure vanilla Android phone running Ice Cream, but so far it looks to only be coming to Verizon. And who knows when Sprint will get a new "Nexus" device ? Sprint didn't get the Nexus-S until 5 months after release.

My Wife and I both have Nexus-S 4G's on Sprint, the family plan @ $129 per month. Don't think Verizon offers anything close to that ?

But Sprint service in Chicago is great for phone calls, but download speeds have really gone down lately, they were much better last Summer when I had the EVO 4G. And inside my house all my Sprint phones barely get any connection whatsoever.

I am torn on what to do ? I am sure the new Galaxy S2 will have Ice Cream ported over to it as fast as possible by the XDA crew, don't think the Prime hardware wise will be radically that much better ? Besides the better screen.
    I have been debating and been wanting to switch back to Verizon LTE is amazing but the point is Verizon will not get a nexus phone they like to control everything and install all the bloatware. So I personally think nexus prime and galaxy s2 will be identical with addition of nfc maybe
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by specme View Post
    I have been debating and been wanting to switch back to Verizon LTE is amazing but the point is Verizon will not get a nexus phone they like to control everything and install all the bloatware. So I personally think nexus prime and galaxy s2 will be identical with addition of nfc maybe
    Could be, time will tell. I would be really shocked to see Verizon get the third Nexus first,before T-Mobile, and Sprint, who have already been selling "nexus" devices and have a fan following for them.

Have to remember both the Nexus-One and Nexus-S did not get solid leaks until November, they rel;eased in December. There was so many rumors and speculation months before hand, and almost everyone was wrong, until the November leaks.

And at the end of the day the Nexus-S was basically a tweaked Galaxy S1, nothing radically different besides having the newest Android OS. Could be the same again, the Nexus-Three will be a tweaked and updated Galaxy S2, but not radically night and day different hardware wise.
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

[ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    The Verizon "leak" is fake, intended on making you pause. In the end, Verizon will disappoint, as they always do. Ask all those who have been waiting since January for the Bionic.
    I agree! I still have the original Incredible. I've been waiting for the GS2 FOREVER! I'm considering switching to Sprint!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpaulc View Post
    I agree! I still have the original Incredible. I've been waiting for the GS2 FOREVER! I'm considering switching to Sprint!
    Exactly what I'm doing, even ditching LTE to make the change. Verizon will never ... ever get a nexus phone. Even if they do get the same device, it will launch long after other carriers due to Verizon/Samsung needed to rewrite a lot of the software - bloat the thing up a bit :-)

Quote Originally Posted by specme View Post
    yeah forget about Verizon their 2GB cap is a smartphone killer.
    4G Data and Caps..I don't know how anybody could do it.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

I finally jumped from Verizon because of their lack of choice that other carriers had, I suggest you take the jump you'll at least be satisfied with hardware that you want.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I think the updates to the Epic Touch will be much faster than the updates to the Epic and other Galaxy S phones. Sprint has been doing a good job with timely updates for their flagship phones (Evo 4G got froyo and gingerbread before most other non-Nexus phones) and Samsung is more attentive to upgrades. I think the failure with the Epic was the additional complications from being CDMA and running TW 2.5 with a keyboard that slowed down the update process. Other than the CDMA and larger screen (albeit with the same resolution), the Epic Touch is the same HW set as the other Galaxy S2 phones. So I don't expect the same kind of killer delays with updates.