Will this phone see good XDA development ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems on the tech forums I check, the Sprint version of the upcoming Galaxy S2 will be the most popular of the three coming out, compared to ATT and T-Mobile. All threads and forums I check it seems Sprint Epic 4G Touch has by far the most traffic and interest so far.

But I have read that some are saying based on the old Epic 4G from last year, that XDA almost ignored with very little development, and that this new one will not get many good ROM's for it ? I disagree, I think Sprint's Galaxy S2 will be a very popular phone, more so than the Photon 4G, and maybe rivaling the EVO-3D ? The old Epic 4G from last year was not that great of a phone, plus last year the EVO 4G was the top #1 dog on Sprint getting all the development.

What is your opinion ? Will Sprint's Galaxy S2 be popular and see a good XDA following ?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This one isn't as different to the other SGS2s as the Epic 4G was. This one doesn't have a physical keyboard so that will make all the difference. One of the CM devs had a little rant of how just adding a physical keyboard took so much code to just program it into the system

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a quote from another guy on a different tech site, regarding the Sprint Galaxy S2 seeing good XDA development.

" Don't expect this. I'm sure folks will be giving it a go as quickly as possible, but development on all fronts for the Galaxy S1 was pretty ******* slow (as it is for all phones).

I would not purchase this phone (or any other) expecting a prompt upgrade to ICS, either from Samsung or XDA.
"

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well the samsung phones will never get as big of a development community as HTC. But to say the epic 4g from last year was ignored is inaccurate. It did not have a huge quantity of roms, but definitely did have a bunch quality roms, and countless mods and themes. I have the epic 4g and my dad has an evo and pretty much any big mod or improvement that was available for his evo was also available for my epic.

To sum this all up, the gs2 epic touch will have some good development from xda, but i doubt it will be as plentiful as any htc phone. But it is still good enough for what u will need.

Reactions: kebo3473

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My main question is, whenever the first leak of Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" gets out, and ready to port to other phones, will the U.S. Galaxy S2 series get it pretty fast, or no, phones like EVO-3D will get it first ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Check out this preview of an upcoming Windows Mango phone :eek:
HTC Titan announced for October: 4.7-inch Super-LCD display, Windows Phone Mango, and our hands-on preview | This is my next...

Can only imagine a Samsung Galaxy S2 spec'd Windows Mango phone could be pretty amazing. Isn't there supposed to be some big announcement soon on the next gen Mango phones due this Fall ?

I am awfully tempted by what I am seeing of Mango. It looks fresh and different, and super smooth fast while easy on the battery too.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well when gingerbread launched the epic got its first leak liie april 27th, while the evo had its first leak like april 14th. So that was about 2 weeks later, for me not a big deal, but to some the 2 weeks is important.

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This is like asking when the world will end. Were not sure who will cause it first but we do know it will happen eventually. The future is unpredictable is what I'm getting at.

Jarowh

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Check out this preview of an upcoming Windows Mango phone :eek:
HTC Titan announced for October: 4.7-inch Super-LCD display, Windows Phone Mango, and our hands-on preview | This is my next...

Can only imagine a Samsung Galaxy S2 spec'd Windows Mango phone could be pretty amazing. Isn't there supposed to be some big announcement soon on the next gen Mango phones due this Fall ?

I am awfully tempted by what I am seeing of Mango. It looks fresh and different, and super smooth fast while easy on the battery too.

I'm using the HTC Arrive with RTM Mango on it now and I can't wait for the GS2 to come out. It was fun for a while but the apps (excluding games which are iOS good) are far and few between. It's something great for a mom who wants something simple. If you're a person who love tweaking and customizing their phone WM is not for you. So boring.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Nexus S and I think ICS will be an important upgrade if it delivers hardware acceleration especially in the browser. But the GSII already has fully accelerated graphics. I wouldn't lose sleep over that "upgrade" if my phone were as smooth as the GSII appears to be.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the samsung phones will never get as big of a development community as HTC...
Why don't you think that the Samsung Nexus Prime will be very big in the developer community?

The Samsung Droid Prime is purely a developer phone. Developer phones always get a huge amount of interest.

The difference is that the Epic 4G Touch will work the day you take it home. Google has vowed that no Google phone will have Facebook Sync.

If the Nexus Prime is like past Nexus phones it will also have no Notification LED, no microSD, no Speed Dial, no Smart Dial, no Contact Group management, no Email Search, 160 Character Text Limit, no Visual Voicemail, etc.

Look at the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds.

All that will work right the day you buy the Epic 4G Touch.

If spending all weekend getting Speed Dial to work is for you a weekend in heaven, get the Prime. If that would be a weekend from hell, get the Epic 4G Touch.

Last edited:

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you think that the Samsung Nexus Prime will be very big in the developer community?

The Samsung Droid Prime is purely a developer phone. Developer phones always get a huge amount of interest.

The difference is that the Epic 4G Touch will work the day you take it home. Google has vowed that no Google phone will have Facebook Sync.

If the Nexus Prime is like past Nexus phones it will also have no Notification LED, no microSD, no Speed Dial, no Smart Dial, no Contact Group management, no Email Search, 160 Character Text Limit, no Visual Voicemail, etc.

Look at the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds.

All that will work right the day you buy the Epic 4G Touch.

If spending all weekend getting Speed Dial to work is for you a weekend in heaven, get the Prime. If that would be a weekend from hell, get the Epic 4G Touch.
i didn't include nexus line when I say sammy. The droid prime btw is not a nexus, but a vzw modified nexus which will have certain limitations and mods to it. The nexus prime will have tons of debelopment and be first with software upgrades. I personally will be happy with the epic touch. Keep in mind if ur holdong oit for the prime it will come on tmo then vzw as a droid and later on sprint so that could endd up being in nov or dec

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
i didn't include nexus line when I say sammy. The droid prime btw is not a nexus, but a vzw modified nexus which will have certain limitations and mods to it. The nexus prime will have tons of debelopment and be first with software upgrades. I personally will be happy with the epic touch. Keep in mind if ur holdong oit for the prime it will come on tmo then vzw as a droid and later on sprint so that could endd up being in nov or dec

The Droid Prime isn't a Nexus unfortunately.

The development on the Epic Touch should be great since it does not vary much (from what we can tell so far) from the World versions and there's impressive development on the SGS2 on XDA so that's a good sign of things to come. In fact, a ROM exists that can get 5 days battery life on a single charge.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
To compare Sammy last year to this year, you would have to include that this year they seem to have woke up and have been working with the Developers. There are clazy leaks out every week it seems for the Epic GB update. Sammy has sent Devs system information. GSII international codes. Sammy also hired Mr. CMod and he and his team have said that they will continue to work on roms... So if anything IMO Sammy phones will have alot of roms ...

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
The Droid Prime isn't a Nexus unfortunately.

The development on the Epic Touch should be great since it does not vary much (from what we can tell so far) from the World versions and there's impressive development on the SGS2 on XDA so that's a good sign of things to come. In fact, a ROM exists that can get 5 days battery life on a single charge.

That is a good point, the U.S. versions of the Galaxy S2 are not different hardware wise besides the radios. So ROM's for the international version shouldn't be too difficult to port over. And that phone already has months of XDA development, so a good head start for us :)

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
yeah I had lots off worry of lack of development but that's been put to rest due to T-mobile sporting same hardware so ports will come pretty fast.
My worry is I wont have enough time to install them all lol

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
And with Sprint, ATT, and T-Mobile all sharing the same internal hardware for the new Galaxy S2, ROM's could be made for all three easily, just need to change the radio files. So having the same phone across three U.S. carriers should make development pretty strong.