Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default High Resolution Question

Hey folks can you help me with this. Since the Gs2 will have a fairly low resolution screen will that affect the quality of the HD games, movies, videos that we view on the phone? This is a very big concern for me.

Default Re: High Resolution Question

I wouldnt say it had a low resolution at all. The only resolution at this point on an android device that is higher is qhd which is only one step above. It has the same resolution as the old school evo but with a much much more vibrant screen.

Although I am not much concerned about the resolution, does anyone have any experience comparatively how much more of a web page can you see if you are using a qHD display?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok i guess we would just have to wait and see

One idea is to just look up some YouTube videos on the ATT Sensation, its a Sammy phone that has the same 4.5" SAMOLED screen that the Epic Touch has, with the same resolution. Basically, the Epic Touch is the Sensation, but with all new internals, so what you see in those videos will give you a better idea of what web pages and such will look on the Epic. Hope this helps.
    sndplace likes this.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Personally, after having an EVO 3D and a Photon, both of which have 540 x 960 qHD screens, I found everything on them to be too damn small.;

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMonkey View Post
    One idea is to just look up some YouTube videos on the ATT Sensation, its a Sammy phone that has the same 4.5" SAMOLED screen that the Epic Touch has, with the same resolution. Basically, the Epic Touch is the Sensation, but with all new internals, so what you see in those videos will give you a better idea of what web pages and such will look on the Epic. Hope this helps.
    Uhhh you mean the Samsung Infuse?? The screen will look great on the GS2!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMonkey View Post
    I believe it's Infuse 4G. But yes I believe they have the same screen

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Its the same... And if you thought that Spider was scary wait till you see it on this one. It will burst out of the screen when trying to squat it. it will get that lady back for screaming like a maniac

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    Personally, after having an EVO 3D and a Photon, both of which have 540 x 960 qHD screens, I found everything on them to be too damn small.;
    I agree 100%. It's so frustrating sometimes(all the time) I am always hitting the wrong links. The narrow screen on the evo 3d doesn't help things either.

Today I boxed up my og evo 4g to a buyer and when I was flashing back to stock rom I really started to miss it. The keyboard is just so small on the 3d compared to the og.

Quote Originally Posted by trentlythp View Post
    I believe it's Infuse 4G. But yes I believe they have the same screen
    D'oh! You're right of course. Too many darn phones coming out nowadays...

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Hey folks can you help me with this. Since the Gs2 will have a fairly low resolution screen will that affect the quality of the HD games, movies, videos that we view on the phone? This is a very big concern for me.
    I posted this on an another thread, but it really applies here too:

I took a screenshot of a comparison between the Atrix (4.3" 540x960, same screen as the Photon) and the Infuse (4.5" 480x800, same res as S2)...everything is just 'bigger' with less content :

Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I posted this on an another thread, but it really applies here too:

I took a screenshot of a comparison between the Atrix (4.3" 540x960, same screen as the Photon) and the Infuse (4.5" 480x800, same res as S2)...everything is just 'bigger' with less content :

What's up with the Infuse's colors? Is the brightness just down? Cause I thought the Super Amoled Plus display was supposed to be much more vibrant and contrasty than that.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Looks to me as though the infuse (does look like it's turned down) is much more legible...at least for my 54 year old eyes

Plus, typing will be easier on the larger real estate screen. I had a Photon and an EVO 3D with qHD and even though I am a photographer, to be honest, It was more of a pain for me....or for my eyes and typing I should say.
    youngjediboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    Looks to me as though the infuse (does look like it's turned down) is much more legible...at least for my 54 year old eyes

Plus, typing will be easier on the larger real estate screen. I had a Photon and an EVO 3D with qHD and even though I am a photographer, to be honest, It was more of a pain for me....or for my eyes and typing I should say.
    That's good to hear! I'm also a photographer and had been wondering about the resolution as well. I also think the lower resolution will mean larger (more legible) text which will be a great thing. I did worry about how photos will look on it though... but from everything I've read and seen about the SAMOLED+ screens, I don't think we'll have to worry much.

Can't wait till the phone arrives!

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

I have a friend with an infuse and his photos look superb on that screen which is a little older than the new 12 subpixel (it had 8) that this phone now uses.

The resolution between the Infuse and the new SGS2 is the same but the vibrancy is much much different. The SGS2's screen makes the infuse screen look washed out. Just look up "epic 4g touch" on youtube and check out the first link. The guy points out that the screen on the SGS2 epic looks miles better than the Infuse. Also, the Infuses screen is 4.3" compared to the SGS2 Epic's 4.5". And, I've seen the Photon and Evo 3d's screen and it doesn't hold a candle to my old Epic's screen. Those screens looked washed out! Samsung will always have the edge in screen vibrancy.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    The resolution between the Infuse and the new SGS2 is the same but the vibrancy is much much different. The SGS2's screen makes the infuse screen look washed out. Just look up "epic 4g touch" on youtube and check out the first link. The guy points out that the screen on the SGS2 epic looks miles better than the Infuse. Also, the Infuses screen is 4.3" compared to the SGS2 Epic's 4.5". And, I've seen the Photon and Evo 3d's screen and it doesn't hold a candle to my old Epic's screen. Those screens looked washed out! Samsung will always have the edge in screen vibrancy.
    I'm pretty sure the infuse has a 4.5" screen also. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Arin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the infuse has a 4.5" screen also. Just saying.
    You're right! My bad.

The Samsung Infuse and the E4GT both use the same 4.5" SAMOLED Plus screen. There shouldn't be a stitch of difference between the two. It's the same make and model from the same manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by bodymassage5 View Post
    What's up with the Infuse's colors? Is the brightness just down? Cause I thought the Super Amoled Plus display was supposed to be much more vibrant and contrasty than that.
    Well you're really not seeing colors in that shot. Colors are where the screen really shines (if you like vibrant saturated colors). What you're seeing is the white difference, which I mentioned in another thread. The whites on the Atrix's qHD Pentile screen look much better (to me) than the whites on the Infuse, even at full brightness.

When I held the Infuse and Atrix side by side, the Infuse white backgrounds looked more grey. I don't think it's simply a design choice that Samsung opts for black backgrounds on the settings, calendar, and other apps in TouchWiz. Blacks on SAMOLED+ screens are the best, and they try to take advantage of that while minimizing it's weaker whites. That's my theory anyway.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Its all in the video coding. they have a new program that resizes the pixels you they look twice small so even though they are the same screen the picture will look way better due to this. so 480x800 will be more like 960x1600 ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    When I held the Infuse and Atrix side by side, the Infuse white backgrounds looked more grey. I don't think it's simply a design choice that Samsung opts for black backgrounds on the settings, calendar, and other apps in TouchWiz. Blacks on SAMOLED+ screens are the best, and they try to take advantage of that while minimizing it's weaker whites. That's my theory anyway.
    Actually, they go for back and dark color schemes because darkers colors consume less battery. Since the sub-pixels are switched off to produce blacks, that consumes no power. But for white, all subpixels drive at full, requiring max power for each pixel. That's why the phones with SAMOLED screens came in last in the power consumption tests based in web surfing -- most pages have white backgrounds, and that killed battery performance. That's why the E4GT has separate screen brightness controls on the browser level.

If you go with dark color schemes and don't surf a lot of web pages, you can get very good battery life, and that's the optimum scenario that was the basis for SAMOLED being kinder to batteries than LCD. But if you read a lot of webpages or read Kindle books with white backgrounds, battery consumption goes the opposite way.
    Thanked by:

Is there some way we could turn the page background black and font white in android web browser? Any browser does it by setting?

The only thing I could find was this:

Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast