Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch

anon(465978)

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've read/seen several reviews claiming that the Infuse screen looks less sharp than the Euro GSII. Will the Epic 4G Touch suffer that same fate as it is also 4.5"? The screen is theoretically identical to the Infuse screen, right?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As a consumer we really only have one way of voicing our opinions to a manufacturer. That is to purchase their product or not. I am really displeased with Samsung or the US carries (not sure who?s to blame) for making us wait so long while the rest of the civilized world gets the GS2. Then they bring us an enlarged version that I'm not really as pleased to see as the original.

This phone is currently the best phone on the US market and I need a new phone. I'd prefer to not cast my vote in favor of screwing the US market but I have few remaining options.

But you can say the same for many other phones and now tablets. It always been this way. Alot of things go over seas first b4 coming here. Video games and systems is one example. they are made over seas so it natural for them to get them first.

No center/home button like the Euro version :( Looks like all other slab Android phones.
IMO its because we associate the 4 buttons better here with Android then overseas. I hate Apple and anything that looks like Apple. I don't think i would like this if it came with one but then again if it did come with it i may have still gotten it because its Sammy.
Apple is great product but i dont like the way its operates and seems to be to much and over rated. I don't like walking around and having the same as everyone else either... i loved webos but since last year coming of to Android i can't see myself leaving.Unless Bada takes off :)

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
IMO its because we associate the 4 buttons better here with Android then overseas. I hate Apple and anything that looks like Apple. I don't think i would like this if it came with one but then again if it did come with it i may have still gotten it because its Sammy.
Apple is great product but i dont like the way its operates and seems to be to much and over rated. I don't like walking around and having the same as everyone else either... i loved webos but since last year coming of to Android i can't see myself leaving.Unless Bada takes off :)

I know that's probably the reason. Makes sense. But it just makes it hard to differentiate Android devices. They all look the same, which is good for OS branding, I suppose, bad for individuality. Regardless of it's similarities to the iPhone, I just think the Euro version is a much sleeker look. Doesn't matter though, I'm still getting it.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I know that's probably the reason. Makes sense. But it just makes it hard to differentiate Android devices. They all look the same, which is good for OS branding, I suppose, bad for individuality. Regardless of it's similarities to the iPhone, I just think the Euro version is a much sleeker look. Doesn't matter though, I'm still getting it.
I'm with you. I've always felt the US versions are dumbed/watered down by comparison. Same goes for our cars.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, I am going to rename my phone when I get it. Wait for it, here it goes....... I am going to call it the Samsung Galaxy S2!

I encourage everyone else to do the same, it just makes you sound smarter!

I think I'm just going to call mine (when I get it) the Epic Touch 4G, or just ET for short. :D
In my opinion this statement is backwards.

Apple is usually the choice due to software certainly not hardware. I mean Apple is usually bested in the hardware area shortly after release, assuming it had a hardware lead at all. Apple is usually the choice for the non-tech/gadget person that just want's a phone or computer to work and could care less about it being customizable. They want stable and easy...this to me is the only thing Apple has going for it.

And I think what ace_spades meant was the build quality of the phone itself. Maybe not the actual components inside that power it. I'm not a big Apple fan, but I do love the feel of the iPhone 4.

enormous

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been dreaming of using this phone as my mobile audio player (ordered a new SDHC card to go with it), but after reading the AnandTech review, and listening to their headphone test (of the International Galaxy S II), I'm starting to worry. I really hope they made some internal changes, and have the audio output better shielded, otherwise we're in for something like this:

Galaxysii-cpu-edge-noise-volume1-volume0 by AnandTech on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Oh .... :(

You probably missed this thread from a couple weeks back http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/115162-wolfson-dac.html

If you were looking for this phone to be your mobile audio player, you may be disappointed. Audiophiles have blasted the International version for its weak audio performance. For some reason, Samsung ditched Wolfson's DAC in favor of something from Yamaha, and apparently it sucks.

enormous

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh .... :(

You probably missed this thread from a couple weeks back http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/115162-wolfson-dac.html

If you were looking for this phone to be your mobile audio player, you may be disappointed. Audiophiles have blasted the International version for its weak audio performance. For some reason, Samsung ditched Wolfson's DAC in favor of something from Yamaha, and apparently it sucks.

I actually saw that thread, but I'm more worried about the interference from the CPU and cell radio that is highlighted in that link rather than the actual quality of the audio output. The sound of cell phone interference drives me almost as batty as modem handshakes used to!

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

If you want little to no individuality, then by all means, use an iPhone :)

lopies

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion this statement is backwards.

Apple is usually the choice due to software certainly not hardware. I mean Apple is usually bested in the hardware area shortly after release, assuming it had a hardware lead at all. Apple is usually the choice for the non-tech/gadget person that just want's a phone or computer to work and could care less about it being customizable. They want stable and easy...this to me is the only thing Apple has going for it.
+1

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Iv yet to have a samsung phone i could like, the nexus 4g being my last. Im done trying them

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
TouchWiz UI - *Barf*

If this animal had the nexus s UI - pure google, i'd be all over it.

The hardware IS impressive, and a great upgrade. But the TouchWiz is just gross, and completely ruins it for me.

Buttaface......

I will be going Photon until prime/or the likes of prime are available on sprint. The Photon (now patched of bugs) is such an amazing device (wife uses one now).

I used to rock the Nexus, till i saw BB taking them back @ $221 for gift card :-$ - so i shipped it out faster than you can say what?

So now i'm waiting for my gift card, and photon for temp device.:p

Gaius Baltar

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been dreaming of using this phone as my mobile audio player (ordered a new SDHC card to go with it), but after reading the AnandTech review, and listening to their headphone test (of the International Galaxy S II), I'm starting to worry. I really hope they made some internal changes, and have the audio output better shielded

This part of the Anandtech review horrified me as well. It's a dealbreaker if streaming radio is practically unlistenable. I can't live without my Pandora and TuneIn radio. I just hope that the Sprint version somehow performs better and suffers less interference from its radios.

"Galaxy S II is not recommended to drive directly sensitive in-ears because you?ll easily hear the CPU working. Fixing the CPU frequency to its maximum (rooted phones only) doesn?t prevent this annoying noise reminding us of cheap integrated audio codecs a dozen years ago. Admittedly, hiss and noise levels of Galaxy S II headphone output are a lot lower, but today?s standard mobile headphones reveal them easily.

If you?re using sensitive in-ear headphones, radio GSM / EDGE noise is as audible, indicating a probable hardware design flaw of the codec or the board. The culprit is poor EMI shielding."

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
TouchWiz UI - *Barf*

If this animal had the nexus s UI - pure google, i'd be all over it.

The hardware IS impressive, and a great upgrade. But the TouchWiz is just gross, and completely ruins it for me.

Buttaface......

I will be going Photon until prime/or the likes of prime are available on sprint. The Photon (now patched of bugs) is such an amazing device (wife uses one now).

I used to rock the Nexus, till i saw BB taking them back @ $221 for gift card :-$ - so i shipped it out faster than you can say what?

So now i'm waiting for my gift card, and photon for temp device.:p
Cool....now you just need to deal with random shutdowns for no reason and crackling speakers/lookup when using the speaker phone.....and that lovely screen. Honestly, I tried hard to love the Photon as the speakers are superb but the rest made it useless as a communication device. Hopefully the ET won't suffer the same fate.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The sound out of the phone through the car dock is what I'm holding out to hear about. If it has the whine that has been reported in the European version, I may wait for the next bus (which should be just around the corner).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03