Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Case or Naked?

So my wife and I have Epic 4Gs now, we are both happy with them and the only reason I am ordering a Epic Touch 4G is because my brother in laws phone is messing up and he has an upgrade on his line (he wants my phone, so with the letstalk deal it worked out pretty well). My question is, we both have seidio innocase cases for our Epics, however we have also both noticed scratching all over the cabinet of the phone, no big deal since we keep the case on there. We both at one point had screen protectors on, but have ditched them in lieu of the naked feel of the screen, and since the screens are pretty scratch resilient we've been pretty happy (no noticeable scratches on the screens of either). So I am now considering going no case and no screen protector with this new phone. My only concern is that the case may be providing a little buffer for the screen (a little spacing to prevent possible scratching, maybe?). Anyone out there gone caseless on these, or the original epic, without problems? The gel cases for this phone may not be as harsh, since there is no sliding mechanism on this phone, so I guess I would consider one of those.

EDIT: Oh and I know these Epics arent out yet and if anyone has one its not long enough to judge, however maybe there is a European lurker on here that can provide feedback on the SGSII in general. Also I'd imagine experience with the original Epic should be comparable.

Default Re: Case or Naked?

idk but i bought one of those silicon gel cases earlier on ebay for like 10 bucks with a screen protector. I tend to accidentally drop things once and a while, dont want any cracks

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

I far prefer TPU / gel cases as they don't get lint all over them like rubberized silicone cases do.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

yea I think the TPU cases fit the phone nicely...I'll be getting some and putting it in the market here.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Cool, the TPU cases look alright and for $9 worth a shot. I went ahead and ordered one of the matte black ones. Thanks!

Going naked. I never use cases or anything. I don't like the awkward bulkiness it adds to the phone. I don't use screen protectors either.

Also naked here, one of the main features to me on this phone is how slim it its. Why would I want to change that

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB Feb. 28/franco

I bought the EVO 4G last year, and by necessity I bought a cheap case to raise the camera off the surface when laying flat (camera design was flush). But then I really started using the kickstand and ditched the case for a naked feel, and that is really how these phones should be handled. I also bought a screen protector because contrary to popular belief, "scratch resistant" is by no means "scratch proof", as my roommate demonstrated with his evo and it's 30 micro scratches. Thus, I will be going naked with a protector for awhile, at least until a thin case with a decent kickstand comes out.

I get my screen protectors here. Crystal clear feels just like the glass and you won't see it. Their not in stock yet for the Epic 4G Touch, but they will be around launch.

Will anyone purchase in otterbox case when they are made?

No case, no screen protector. Completely naked. I like the feeling of nudity in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric View Post
    Also naked here, one of the main features to me on this phone is how slim it its. Why would I want to change that
    +1. I had people telling me that the Evo 4G was just too big. I showed them mine and they agreed that maybe it wasn't too big. It turns out it is too big if you stick it in a bulky case.
    Last edited by Cobravision; 09-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.

totally nude, awww yea

I'd like her naked
    Voltan89 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,225 Global Posts

Tastefully nude.

I don't know why anyone would ruin a beautiful piece of electronics with a case. I've never put my smartphones in covers or had any screen protectors, and they've all been almost pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by tom299 View Post
    I don't know why anyone would ruin a beautiful piece of electronics with a case. I've never put my smartphones in covers or had any screen protectors, and they've all been almost pristine.
    It's called "protection"...some people are prone to dropping their phones.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by User One View Post
    It's called "protection"...some people are prone to dropping their phones.

I've only dropped and broken a phone once. It was the original iPhone back in 2007, 2 weeks after launch (oops). AMEX replaced it for free

Ever since then I've been much more careful.

I will always have some kind of case to protect my phone (investment)..simply from the normal day to day bumps and bruises...have the Otterbox Case for my Evo and it looks just fine IMO.

Even a simple case can go a long way in preserving the resale value of your phone. For that reason alone, I will probably slap some kind of case on it.
    Thanked by:

Busting your phone is very expensive. A phone like this costs $550 or so without a new contract. That is a lot of $$$$ for simple slip out of your hand.

I am careful driving, but I still have insurance on my car and wear a seat belt. Anyone can bump into you and your phone can go flying.

I prefer hard plastic cases. They don't get stuck taking them in and out of your pocket and are thin.
    expertzero1 likes this.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

I have a tendency to massacre my phones by dropping them, especially when I'm getting out of my truck. So I'll definitely be getting a case and/or full-body skin. I probably should get both to be safe. Definitely would like a case w/ a kickstand, as the EVO has spoiled me w/ that functionality.
    USAF Veteran

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Buck nekkid for me...always except when I had the iPhone 3GS because of the high gloss back.

ROM
    Stock

I think my Pre has hit concrete as many times as it has the Touchstone, so yeah, case for me.

Quote Originally Posted by solid_s_1117 View Post
    I bought the EVO 4G last year, and by necessity I bought a cheap case to raise the camera off the surface when laying flat (camera design was flush). But then I really started using the kickstand and ditched the case for a naked feel, and that is really how these phones should be handled. I also bought a screen protector because contrary to popular belief, "scratch resistant" is by no means "scratch proof", as my roommate demonstrated with his evo and it's 30 micro scratches. Thus, I will be going naked with a protector for awhile, at least until a thin case with a decent kickstand comes out.

I get my screen protectors here. Crystal clear feels just like the glass and you won't see it. Their not in stock yet for the Epic 4G Touch, but they will be around launch.

this phone has gorilla glass no need to worry about scratches. evo did not have gorilla glass.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

nude but screen protector

So it's sort of like wearing pasties.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast