Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Default Re: 20 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Seriously? I did not know it could play all of that stuff, including high profile mkv's. Is that because of Samsung's Touchwiz Media Hub thing? If so, I may have to stop bashing Touchwiz

It's because Samsung installs all of those codecs on their devices. Same for my Galaxy tab, and same with the original Galaxy S phones. With the Exynos processor and 1gb ram, the Epic Touch can handle high profile 1080p no sweat. This is one of the few things you will miss out on if you go with a Nexus device. Natively, Android can only handle mp4 files with limited codec support. You can use a software player, but they can't play files that require HW acceleration.
    Thanked by:
    milominderbinde likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    It plays mkv, avi, and wmv video files natively and can handle multiple codecs without the need for a software program. It plays 720p and 1080p high profile mkv videos without having to convert them.
    Thanks!

I added this under It's High Def:

The SGS2 can play most MP4, H.264, H.263, DIVX, XVID, WMV, VC-1, and streaming video.

I cannot find a link that says it can play avi or mkv. Do you have a link for that?

Also, can you help me find a link about the hardware acceleration? I am trying to back up every statement with a link.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Can Android video player play 1080p MKV files? [YES!]

Also, this is from the Wiki page for the Galaxy S2:

Media support
    The Galaxy S II comes with support for many multimedia file formats and codecs. For audio it supports (FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF). For video formats and codecs it supports (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, DivX HD/XviD, VC-1) and video formats (3GP (MPEG-4), WMV (ASF) as well as AVI (DivX)).
    Continued support for the MKV format container was confirmed.[52][53] Furthermore, there is also continued native playback support for the Sorenson codec within FLV.[54] Neither 'MKV', 'FLV' or 'Sorenson' are listed within any available specifications as this was the case done for the previous Galaxy S. Up to 1080p HD video playback is supported on this device.
    I can't find an article that specifically states that you need HW acceleration for high profile mkv files, but there are plenty of discussions on forums on how to achieve playback with HW acceleration like this one:

Diceplayer plays mkv with HW acceleration! [Archive] - xda-developers

It turns out Dice Player in the marketplace does support HW acceleration, but it appears that the Exynos chip + Mail processor is still the only combo that can pull of high profile 1080p. Tegra 2 can't playback high profile 720p regardless.

Of course, this is not specifically about the Epic Touch and not the S2, but I can't imagine why it would be any different.

Default Re: 10 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadHEMI View Post
    Awesome write up Milo! Just makes Friday seem that much farther away...
    I'm with you bro! I am stupid about buying the nest bignSprint phone, but I love the technology!
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Default Re: 10 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Quote Originally Posted by efoss View Post
    I'm with you bro! I am stupid about buying the nest bignSprint phone, but I love the technology!
    8 hours to go...
    Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

I just ordered one full price. It's well worth 5 bills. 16GB onboard (even if only 8 are available) and a GB of RAM...Just need root, and I'm set for a couple of years.
    Thanked by:

Seems like a really awesome device. I would like to get my hands in one to see for myself specs seem nice, but i need real world experience.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Syndicate ROM, Stock X2

Samsung Galaxy s II does look fantastic but not for Sprint. No 4G, slow 3G and very poor customer service.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

I got My Epic 4G Touch! It is SO much faster than my EVO, I could not believe it. It locks in signal so much better. The colors are so vivid. It is so much smaller in my pocket that the EVO. The screen is so much brighter. Wow. Just wow.
    Milo

Yeah but... is it better than the Pre? I mean, it doesn't have cards.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

As much as I'd love one...is there any way of getting it without paying an absurd $80 a month (before taxes) for it? Like, are there some "hidden" Sprint plans you can get at a Sprint store or something?
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Quote Originally Posted by XMAGUSX View Post
    As much as I'd love one...is there any way of getting it without paying an absurd $80 a month (before taxes) for it? Like, are there some "hidden" Sprint plans you can get at a Sprint store or something?
    In the Opening Post, See Also:
    Are you getting your 10-28% Sprint EVP Discount? - everyone can get at least 10%

Bepending on your employer, associations, school, etc. You can get at least 10%
    just by opening an aol mail account and following that link in the article.

Plus if you are transferring in to Sprint you may be able to a $125 transfer credit.
    Milo
    Thanked by:
    MerpsMom likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Yeah but... is it better than the Pre? I mean, it doesn't have cards.
    You are funny. Yes, to a true Pre lover, the Palm Pre was the finest phone that will ever be created. It came with a free Unicorn! I still have a Pre just to be able to have the free Unicorn.

Seriously, there are many still coming over from Palm, see the Palm User's Guide to Android for how to do cards, synergy, multitasking, notifications, etc.
    Milo

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In the Opening Post, See Also:
    Are you getting your 10-28% Sprint EVP Discount? - everyone can get at least 10%

Bepending on your employer, associations, school, etc. You can get at least 10%
    just by opening an aol mail account and following that link in the article.

Plus if you are transferring in to Sprint you may be able to a $125 transfer credit.
    10% would only cover tax in my state, I'm currently unemployed (applying everywhere, especially places I know offer Sprint discounts), and out of school (and can't afford to go back). Even under a combined discount of 30% (which I don't even know if I could ever get), that 's still $64 a month compared to the $50 I could pay with T-Mobile (not including discounts I could get with them). That's why I was asking if there are any non-listed plans, I'd need something cheaper off the bat.

And actually, other than the Exynos chip, is there any other difference between the Sprint and T-Mobile GSII? Because I'm pretty sure the dual-core Snapdragon should suffice for my needs (I don't game on my Android devices, for one), unless Exynos has something about it that makes it really worthwhile.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

Quote Originally Posted by XMAGUSX View Post
    ...And actually, other than the Exynos chip, is there any other difference between the Sprint and T-Mobile GSII?...
    If you are on T-Mobile and happy, stay there. They will have the Samsung Galaxy S II as well and their prices are great like Sprint's.

Now it looks like you will not get sucked into AT&T so all will be good. Otherwise your price would have doubled and your unlimited option would be gone.
    Milo

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I got My Epic 4G Touch! It is SO much faster than my EVO, I could not believe it. It locks in signal so much better. The colors are so vivid. It is so much smaller in my pocket that the EVO. The screen is so much brighter. Wow. Just wow.
    I'm also coming over from the EVO. The switch from HTC Sense to Touch Wiz takes some getting used to. I've had to ask my wife, who has the original Epic, for help with apps and menus. This thing has the speed of a personal computer!
    A|C Fanboy

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    TrickDroid

This phone is so crazy cool!

Some other "little" feature that I have found nice is:
    ~Separate browser brightness then the rest of the phone. press menu in browser.
    ~You can reposition the time on the lock screen settings>display>screen display
    ~You can adjust the screen hue. settings>display>screen mode> then you can choose dynamic, movie, or standard.
    ~3 finger touch in the browser snaps zoom all the way out
    ~You can adjust the soft key backlight time out. (very little thing but few phones have it)
    ~And folders in the app drawer.

Also I know Milo mentioned using Kies Air to wirelessly sync but i was amazed that with it you could view your phone log, view contacts, and even SEND sms message right from your PC/MAC. With no PC/MAC app/client!

Way to go Milo and all those who help this is an AWESOME thread.
    Pearl >curve8900 >curve8330 >HTC Hero >HTC EVO 4G>Optimus S >Nexus S 4G >HTC EVO 4G >Epic Touch 4G>Galaxy Nexus>HTC One S>GNote 2>Nexus 4>LG G2
    Thanked by:
    MerpsMom likes this.
    A|C Fanboy

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    TrickDroid

ok now that thats done......I can't find the Reader Hub my phone has the media hub and social hub but no reader hub like what is pictured on the OP.

Anyone else?

Side note my phone was set to spanish in the language when i got it; no buddy flipping me the bird though.

EDIT: Just watch a video review of a E4GT and comparing apps to apps on my phone I am also missing the Music Hub? odd.
    Pearl >curve8900 >curve8330 >HTC Hero >HTC EVO 4G>Optimus S >Nexus S 4G >HTC EVO 4G >Epic Touch 4G>Galaxy Nexus>HTC One S>GNote 2>Nexus 4>LG G2
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

Quote Originally Posted by RamboDroid View Post
    This phone is so crazy cool!

Some other "little" feature that I have found nice is:
    ~Separate browser brightness then the rest of the phone. press menu in browser.
    ~You can reposition the time on the lock screen settings>display>screen display
    ~You can adjust the screen hue. settings>display>screen mode> then you can choose dynamic, movie, or standard.
    ~3 finger touch in the browser snaps zoom all the way out
    ~You can adjust the soft key backlight time out. (very little thing but few phones have it)
    ~And folders in the app drawer...
    Wow. Thanks! I added them all under Customization!

And you don't even need root!
    Milo

Seriously.... This phone? LEGIT!!! Kies Air is really sexy, as is the Super Amoled Screen, not to mention battery life! I bought the Epic 4G back in April, switched to 3VO in June and now I'm rockin the Epic Touch 4G! I'm telling you, this phone is probably going to stay in my pocket for quite some time!

Default Re: 18 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Quote Originally Posted by DroidHeroDoes View Post
    Phone comparison link is not working, please fix it cause I wanna see how big is the phone. It might be the factor for me to buy this phone. I dont want anything that is bigger than 4.3 inch. Thanks
    Go here. HTC TyTN Visual Size Comparison

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

This post makes me wish I could switch to Sprint. I know Verizon is getting some flavor of GS2, but it's still in rumor mode, so it's hard to get excited about.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Default Re: 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

I finally got around to playing with the camera today, and the amount of features you can access is mindboggling. The coolest feature is that you can have shortcuts to your 4 most used features to the dock area (I have Flash, Picture mode, Focus, and Scene). And it has a macro mode that works really well. The macro mode is really helpful for work -- if I need to take a picture of a serial number or MAC address from device, macro mode is perfect for the job.

And even though there is no shutter button, the ET has a double detent shutter -- touch and hold to fix focus and exposure, then let go to take the picture with practically zero lag. This is the touch equivalent of a two step shutter.

Default Re: 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Just when u think u know everything there is to know, i find a post like this : ) Great rrad, very well written, got some great info.... ty

BTC
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast