Frustratingly slow data speeds on E4GT

lucasvictor

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday from a local sprint store and although I like the phone, data speeds on this phone are frustratingly slow. I live in Milwaukee and I am getting on avg around .75 MBPS D/L and .60 MBPS U/L. I walked in the same store today and the tech person gave me a bunch of BS about sprint network and how they are repairing some of them. We don't have WiMax here but i would have still imagined to get better sppeds on 3G. Heck, on my 2 years old iPhone 3GS, i am getting 3 MBPS DL. I decided to check out some other phones in the store and did a speed test. Even Evo4G showed better speeds than E4GT. I checked out another demo model of E4GT and same slow results. What gives??

Has anybody else done speed test on 3G network? Are you seeing better speeds? I

Jefstead

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I got for 4 speed tests yesterday using the SpeedTest.net app in the northwest Chicago area (all on 3G) on the Sprint GS2:

1:28pm - 125 kbps down, 81 kbps up, 155 ms
1:34pm - 307 kbps down, 169 kbps up, 114 ms
1:36pm - 46 kbps down, 180 kbps up, 675 ms
4:20pm - 225 kbps down, 119 kbps up, 141 ms

I signed up for a new Sprint account yesterday for this phone. I love the phone, but the data speeds are horrific compared to my AT&T iPhone 4 in the same areas (where I average 3mbps down, 1mbps up) on their 3G network.

I'd love a reason to stay with Sprint, but considering almost the exact same phone comes out shortly for AT&T and I have a far better data experience there, I will most likely be taking back the Sprint GS2 and just picking it up for AT&T instead unless something drastic happens for the better on Sprint's 3G network.

Yes, I know the GS2 is a 4G phone, but even the 4G signal is slower (based on several more speed tests) than the AT&T 3G speeds I have been used to for the last year.

JasonF

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday from a local sprint store and although I like the phone, data speeds on this phone are frustratingly slow. I live in Milwaukee and I am getting on avg around .75 MBPS D/L and .60 MBPS U/L. I walked in the same store today and the tech person gave me a bunch of BS about sprint network and how they are repairing some of them. We don't have WiMax here but i would have still imagined to get better sppeds on 3G. Heck, on my 2 years old iPhone 3GS, i am getting 3 MBPS DL. I decided to check out some other phones in the store and did a speed test. Even Evo4G showed better speeds than E4GT. I checked out another demo model of E4GT and same slow results. What gives??

Over the last year I've seen a huge drop in quality of Sprints 3G network. I have used an EVO 4G but always left 4G off since it drains the battery so fast. Because of the slow 3G speeds I basically only used data when I was near wifi. Sprint needs to get the message as they dropped 3G quality too fast..

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Sprint.
Lol

I personally have not experience any slow data speeds in my area but I do remember some blogs reviewing the phone via youtube complain of slow speeds...

3slaters

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting anywhere from 3-8 mbps from sprint which is awesome. I thought I read where they are upgrading the sprint network in early to mid October but I could be wrong?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
In Chicago the speeds on Sprint are terrible. I average around 200k/sec on 3G, and if I can lock onto a good 4G signal I might 3mb/sec, but WiMax kills the battery faster than an Humvee on unleaded. And indoors it is much worse.

I have had the EVO 4G...EVO-3D...and now the Nexus-S 4G. My EVO 4G seemed to be the best for signal, but that was last year, it seems this year even that phone was getting poor signal. And when I drive further out into the suburbs, Sprint gets even worse. In Orland Park where a lot of my family lives, which is around 25 miles southwest of the city, there is barely any connection at all.

I sure hope Sprint flips the switch soon, or whatever they are planning to do to their network.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My data has been slow and I lose connectivity a lot more than with Verizon but I expected it going in. Data roaming in my basement is absurd though. Just wait till the iPhone comes it will destroy the network completely if they don't get it fixed before then. IPhone release destroyed my data speeds on Verizon. When I used to get about 1.2 down over the last few months I would average 100-300k sometimes much lower so the speed is the same for me on 3g here. On 4g with sprint I'm getting 2-4 down but it drops off and loses connection a bit. Lets hope the upgrade to cdma rev b turns out true and hopefully it gets done quickly else we will wish we even had 56k.

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that, at least at my house, data speeds tend to be lower when the trees have leaves on them. I wonder if it has something to do with the leaves dispersing the signal (?).

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Actually the so called BS about the network is true. Sprint is in the middle of transfering the iDen network (the 800mhz frequency your E4GT has) will be transfered over to 3G and will expand the 3G network somewhat and Sprint is also losing towers and roaming towers from other carriers.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I played my cousin's E4GT. From what I see, it looked fine. I tested speed test on it. Very good speed. Everything was so prefect. I live near Boston. My cousin has no problem with his E4GT. Now I am considering to get it lol.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why people are bashing the PHONE for the speeds that SPRINT is providing, especially when they're comparing totally different phones and carriers. Whining about the E4GT getting slower speeds in an area than an AT&T iPhone or a Verizon Thunderbolt is just stupid. (It's like saying, "Jennifer Aniston is ugly. Angelina Jolie is so much hotter." While the latter is true, Jen isn't a dog, she's just not AJ.) You've got to compare oranges to oranges, meaning Sprint phones like the EVO 4G to the E4GT or the Bionic to Droid X.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why people are bashing the PHONE for the speeds that SPRINT is providing, especially when they're comparing totally different phones and carriers. Whining about the E4GT getting slower speeds in an area than an AT&T iPhone or a Verizon Thunderbolt is just stupid. (It's like saying, "Jennifer Aniston is ugly. Angelina Jolie is so much hotter." While the latter is true, Jen isn't a dog, she's just not AJ.) You've got to compare oranges to oranges, meaning Sprint phones like the EVO 4G to the E4GT or the Bionic to Droid X.

You get a great point! Glad I don't have E4GT...... YET! Always check out the signal coverage first before compare the phones. =P

Best thing is I live near Boston, I usually get high signal all the times! =P For now I use Blackberry and I get faster. I am considering to get E4GT, that means i would have high speed. Whoo!

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts regarding the E4GT data speeds:
3G Speeds are typical Sprint. When compared to my old Photon (funny to now say that is my old phone) they are definitely a tad better. Nothing insane, but i would say about 10-20% better than the Photon (overall throughput through the phone seems better too).

4G Speeds are about what I would expect for my area. I don't use 4G much but when I do its in that 6 Mbps are that makes me seem content (note: Photon was 3.5 Mbps in the same airport).

Lastly Wifi Speeds....This is where the E4GT seems to shine. Its pulling down about 12-13 Mbps at home (my network is rated at 15) off my router. My two laptops (both about 1-3 years old) get 4 Mbps and 6 Mbps, while my Photon pulled down 3 Mbps. Guess I need to look at my laptops are doing, but still.

Overall the data seems to be above average when compared to other Sprint devices which is the real key here. Verizon and ATT are faster overall networks, but this device does well with the bandwidth it gets. That 800 MHz conversion is going to be nice.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My data has been slow and I lose connectivity a lot more than with Verizon but I expected it going in. Data roaming in my basement is absurd though. Just wait till the iPhone comes it will destroy the network completely if they don't get it fixed before then. IPhone release destroyed my data speeds on Verizon. When I used to get about 1.2 down over the last few months I would average 100-300k sometimes much lower so the speed is the same for me on 3g here. On 4g with sprint I'm getting 2-4 down but it drops off and loses connection a bit. Lets hope the upgrade to cdma rev b turns out true and hopefully it gets done quickly else we will wish we even had 56k.

sounds like that data wasn't squelched though:cool:

andddlay

May 7, 2010
Visit site
When i bought the Epic 4g Touch yesterday I did mention something about their declining service in the past year, and he said to trust him, things will get a lot better soon (he kinda said it in a quieter tone for some reason lol...)

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Something has happened over the past year. It can't be because of too many people using up data capacity considering they're still bleeding customers. My Evo went from fantastic to frustrating over the course of the year I've had it when it came to data. And this is 3G; I actually didn't use the 4G too much.I too thought it was the phone, but after I did more research I discovered that it's not the phone, it's Sprint.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance