getting prompted to use launcher or twlauncher when pressing home

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting prompted to select either the launcher or twlauncher. I have set to use twlauncher as the default, but it doesn't seem to stick. Any ideas why this is happening? I do like the fact that the standard gingerbread launcher is available though

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: getting prompted to use launcher or twlauncher when pressing

I know that twlauncher is the touchwiz launcher and launcher is the launcher used by Sprint ID. Its the one that just has the phone, app drawer, and sprint id icons in the dock. No one else has seen this? Its getting pretty frustrating.

One thing I noticed is that when holding down the home button, I see twlauncher in the list of apps running. When I see that then I know that its lost its default again and the next time I press the home button to exit out of an app, I will get the popup again.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

This was happening to me on my Epic after I setup Sprint ID, used it and then changed it. It stood as TWZ though never changed from my default but i always had the home button issue with both showing up. So on my 4gtouch i never used the S ID because i didn't want the same issue.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Tried clearing data from Sprint ID to see if it fixes it, no go.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I've only ever seen that Home button prompt after installing Go Launcher. I like all the extra options that Go provides, plus the options of different themes, and I don't think I'd go back to the Touchwiz launcher.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I wound up doing a factory data reset. So far the problem has not resurfaced.

Reactions: djeff2

Tuffgong4

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

try the application homesmack in the market. It should let you set a default Launcher.

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

when you press the home, it pops up 3 launchers, then u select the dont ask again, and click tw launcher or whatever or go launcher, thats what i did

jdizzle316

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know how to get the Stock Android Launcher to work on the Epic Touch like the stock Nexus S launcher? I am used to the app launcher flowing up and down instead of left to right on the TW launcher.

Thanks!

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Download the "Clean" Sprint ID. I tried that at the Sprint store and it worked for the most part I think.

Reactions: jdizzle316

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

** Found the solution to the OP's question. **

From the Home Screen go to Menu Button>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Media Hub>Clear Data. By clearing all the data associated with Media Hub the problem goes away.

I don't know why Media Hub was the cause. It must have been another program that I recently installed that accessed it.

After an exhaustive Internet search, I found another forum post by a guy who really solved the problem by uninstalling the Kids Animal ABC Alphabet sound app that he had downloaded from the Market for his Toddler. I had also installed the app on my phone and the problems, not coincidentally started happening around that time.

Last edited:

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

** Really Found the Solution this time ** :-[

After an exhaustive Internet search, I found another forum post by a guy who solved the problem by uninstalling the Kids Animal ABC Alphabet sound app that he had downloaded from the Market for his Toddler. I had also installed the app on my phone and the problems, not coincidentally started happening around that time.

Uninstall that app and your problems should go away.

Phew.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

The latest update to Agile Lock also does this. Unfortunately the instructions flashed off the screen so I uninstalled agile lock. Gonna have to reinstall it again just to see the instructions again

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I get the same prompt after installing fly to me tide and current apps for fishing. I don't think it matters which app you installed because if you fiddle around long enough with your phone, you will start to see apps not responding and force closure, etc. I uninstalled that app and the previous apps to see if it will fix it but it did not.

I researched the problem after the default setting on twlauncher will not stick. I went to manage application, clear default on twlauncher and then set it as the default again when I press the home button. It sticks for a while and then after playing with a couple of other apps, the default is gone again and I am prompted to choose again. I clear data in media hub. That only fixes it temporary. I then clear data in twlauncher and sure enough, my home screens and app screens got reverted to default. That was aggravating.

I then gave up, back up apps using Astro Manager(and found out it does not back up the data associated with the apps(high score, setting, etc.), and factory restore it. Sure enough that fixed it but sooner or later, something is going to get broken when I install/uninstall/clear data. Right now I am not looking forward to customizing my phone like I had before the factory restore since I know I will have to do it again if I ever run into this problem which no one seems to have a definitive solution.

So if anyone has definitive fix, please let us know.

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

I also have this same issue that the TWlauncher does not stay as default - I have not downloaded the apps in question "Kids Animal..." etc - I personally think it is a poorly written code that should be able to be fixed in a maintenance release if Sprint puts it on their list (I have noted this as a defect in the Sprint forums). I am sure this one is low on the list as it is more annoyance than anything.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

After the factory reset I did, I never ran the Sprint ID app and have not have the problem occur again. I think its more of a problem with the sprint id clean launcher rather than an individual app. Hopefully the next update that comes out will fix it.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Problem just resurfaced again! It was working fine after I finished customizing everything. I did not change anything the last 12 hours. The default will stick as long as I don't long press the home button. Long pressing the home button and I will see twlauncher in there and after that, I will have to select which launcher if I press the home button. Then the home button will continue to work from any apps AS LONG AS I don't long press the home button.

Now I like to long press the home button to bring up recent apps and it makes switching apps easy so this is something I rather not do with out. I never did mess with Sprint ID but since the default won't stick, I download "clean" Sprint ID. It did not fix the problem. Stopping, clearing Sprint ID did not fix it. I do not want to clear data in twlauncher or launcher since I will have to rearrange all my apps and homepage again.

Guess I will try the option of downloading another launcher and setting that to default and see if it will stick.

BTW, turning the phone off and on and pulling the battery did not work.

Just downloaded launcher pro. Same problem. Choosing which one to use as default will only stick as long as I don't long press the home button. Going to Spring corporate store but I doubt I will get much help.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze