How many of you are WebOS transplants?

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I myself was holding out for the pre3 and was sadly let down by the whole HP fiasco. I checked out IOS to see how it has evolved(same garbage). Then I checked out Windows new OS and then 2.3.4. To be honest I really loved Windows new OS and got to play with it. It is well polished and runs great but then I checked out the phones they had available and they where all sad.

I then ran across the the Samsung long name phone. Online I was like wow this phone is sexyyyyyy. In person it is even way more sexy. Even my iphone hating friends say it too. I then checked out Androids OS on this and was surprised how much Google has evolved this OS. I hated all the clutter but then realised... Hey I can set it up however I want.

The first day was ROUGH. Although everything is blazing fast I just couldnt figure out for the life of me how to do simple things on the fly. I figured this would happen and that it would take me liek a day to get the basics and then in a month I would really get into the details. As a huge WebOS fan I wish palm made a phone like this. This phone is just incredible and the Market is awesome.

My question to all of you here is how many of you jumped ship from HPalm to Google and how is it going for you so far? OOOH and by the way I made the choice not to do a cards app. I want to learn android fully before deciding if I need cards or not.... I dont think I will.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Screw HP! (that would be a good signature, wouldn't it? :) )

I think there are a lot of us around here. After HP took the big dump on us it was time to start looking around. I also had considered WP7, but it's still new and don't want to have deja vu with a new mobile OS again. It looked promising, but so did webOS, and look how that turned out. I'd wait another generation or two before considering WP7, especially with the Nokia partnership there's lots of potential there.

But I had the original Sprint Pre minus which was on it's last legs and I had to pick something now. Android is totally dominating right now so it was a no-brainer. I was also wowed after seeing the specs of this Samsung monster phone and I just had to get it! While I still miss webOS, I have no regrets and am enjoying learning all about Android now. :)

Reactions: alacrify

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep jumped shipper here also. Never really looked at the Win7 phone. Reason being is that since Sprint was going to add another $10 to my bill might as well be 4G. Like you thought that clutter would be a problem. Mainly because the way my friends seem to have theirs set up. Now knowing can set it up without clutter made me happy. Right now disappointed in one app that doesn't work quite right. My favorite twitter app isn't here but knew that coming in. The thing that is hard to get used to is remembering and knowing is the menu button. So used to gesture area. lol . This will pass as the phone is bad to the bone. Boots up 20 times faster than my Pre did. Get to use Opera Mobile browser.

ZATZAi

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I too came from WebOS on the original Pre- that I got at launch. Was tough when we never even got the Pre+, not that it was a new phone or anything, just an improved Pre. Palm really dropped the ball not coming out with a new phone after a year, but I was ok enough. Waited for the next Pre, as my old phone started to debilitate, seemed like Google Maps got slower and slower and then often wouldn't work at all. Software updates for the phone stopped coming, etc...

I was ready to jump on the Pre3 if they'd just announce it for Sprint, but it seemed that wasn't in the cards. I wasn't really willing to switch to AT&T for any phone, maybe Verizon... but I wouldn't be happy about it. My contract ran up and I was looking at either switching carriers to stay with WebOS or go Android (Was looking at the Photon). Then we had the whole Hp Touchpad fiasco. I already had an iPad 1 so was taking a wait and see approach with the Touchpad (Glad I did), and it became clear there was no future for the Pre3 it was Dead On Arrival.

Since I had already been waiting and looking at the Photon, head about this new phone coming out from Samsung, And decided to go with it over the Photon. I've had it for about 2 days now, since it just launched on Sprint. Still getting used to it, it's different, but I like it so far (The widgets are very nice). I am struggling with how to sync my music to the phone though... It was easy on the Pre because it emulated an iPhone/iPod, and I just used Media Monkey, not so easy with Android it seems.

Honis#WP

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience as you DuStU. I stopped waiting for the Pre 3 a few days before the fateful announcement. Tried the windows phone Sprint has, loved the OS, loved the Mango updates they were demoing and then I made an actual phone call. Very uncomfortable phone to hold against the ear and the slider didn't have the snap my previous slider phones had (and what's up with that hinge? the screen had pretty good viewing angles so it really didn't need to tilt). After about 3 days I returned it for a Nexus S. I got use to Android through it and the only thing I didn't like was the screen (pen tile? regardless, I could see the separation between pixels and it was annoying). On day 28 (Friday) I returned the Nexus and got the new Epic. Loving it so far (as much as I can bring myself to love android.)

I was overjoyed to find out the back panel is plastic. I'm still working on it, but I'm attempting to graft the inductive coil into it without void my warranty. Using this as inspiration: Inductive cellphone charging without voiding warranty - Hack a Day

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat but havent abandoned ship yet. We got my gf the g s2 coming from the evo 3d. I like the sense lock screen better, but I like eveything else about touchwiz, felt more comfortable coming from webOS.

Dolphin browser also helped improved the web browsing experience exponentially. If I had to stick with stock android tapping so many times to get between windows, I wouldn't even be contemplating the switch right now.

I also sorely miss the physical keyboard and one hand operation of the pre. I find myself having to constantly use 2 hands with the larger g s2, and I hate touch keyboards.

Lastly I would miss the ease of switching between apps and webOS' brilliant notifications. Swipe up and over, done. Not tap tap tap tap, it's so much more tedious than webOS.

That being said, the level of customization can really alleviate a lot of those problems to an extent, and the shear speed is quite amazing. I also love all the extra screen space and all the excellent features that come along with new hardware. Ultimately I haven't made up my mind, I have a brand new pre 2 sitting here begging to be franken pre'd, but I don't know what I will do.

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a launch day pre. No regrets, this phone is incredible. I just gotta get used to the virtual keyboard. Swype is pretty amazing.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I dumped my Pre after 2 years in June and love Android. Just remember the guy that developed webOS, Matias Duarte, is bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to Android in the next few months

Some good reference material for webOS refugees is a sticky at the top of the page "(Read Me First)Epic Touch 4G Tips" by Milominderbinder. He also has Palm Users Guide To Android that is very helpful.. :D

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Had an original Pre Minus on Sprint from Launch day until HP announced they were killing webOS. Frustrated I went out and got a Photon 4G the very next day, then returned it for the Epic Touch 4G on friday. Android's no where near as intuitive but I'm getting used to it. I miss the keyboard and the smooth user experience but the improved specs on the hardware and the collection of apps available softens the blow quite a bit.

aviatordoc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Same deal here. I bought an EVO3d to see if i liked Android OS and not use my upgrade. Its working out very well so far. Still getting used to the virtual keyboard but the thing i miss most is the TS charging.
Have to go in and check the new samsung :D

ShanTheMan

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
original launch day pre-...waited for pre+ on sprint, waited for pre2 on sprint, waited for pre3....with hp being so incompetent i gave up and i'm in love with my SGSIIE4GT

FickleBJT

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I came over from webos. The Pre3 would have been my next phone. Once HP canceled it I began my search. WinPhone7 was my second choice (I know someone on the WinPhone7 team), but the only phone Sprint had wasn't that great.

Ultimately I'm much happier with android than I would have been with WinPhone7, and the sheer speed of my Epic 4g touch more than makes up for the stuff that I miss from webos (mainly cards).

pb_2000

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
...Lastly I would miss the ease of switching between apps and webOS' brilliant notifications. Swipe up and over, done. Not tap tap tap tap, it's so much more tedious than webOS...

You can active the taskmanager by long press on the home button and you have the choice of last 6 recent (incl. currently running apps) to choose from.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am struggling with how to sync my music to the phone though... It was easy on the Pre because it emulated an iPhone/iPod, and I just used Media Monkey, not so easy with Android it seems.

I too used MediaMonkey to sync music to my Pre, then my Evo and now the Epic touch. What are you struggling with?

Also, the phone has Kies Air which you can transfer photos, videos, music etc wirelessly from your desktop. Don't know how fast that is though.

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
im in the same boat. came from the palm pre. really wish there was a webos phone like this but i am not complaining. i really love this phone. couldnt be happier. im with you too, it def takes a little bit to get used to the layout and os but i am getting it and the phone being so awesome helps get over the learning curve. plus i have a touchpad so that keeps my webos fix.

Dixie

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a transplant, too, with a Sprint Pre. I actually gave up on a Pre3 about 2 weeks before HP kicked WebOS to the curb mostly due to the delays and living in a 4G area I didn't want to be stuck another 2 years with 3G. I only considered Android since most of my family has Androids. I'm having fun learning, and the kids think it's cool to know something mom doesn't and they help out whenever I have a problem.

gksspot555

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
add me to the list... Should be getting our sgsIIs when we get back from vacation today. I will miss webOS but at least I have a firestorm touchpad to help me slowly get the drug out of system.

My hope is Duarte can work some magic on android and I think he will.

ZATZAi

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I too used MediaMonkey to sync music to my Pre, then my Evo and now the Epic touch. What are you struggling with?

Also, the phone has Kies Air which you can transfer photos, videos, music etc wirelessly from your desktop. Don't know how fast that is though.

At this point, just getting MM to detect the phone in the first place. I've played around in Kieselguhr Air which seems to be very slow, whether using it through the browser or via the desktop program. I just want to be able to transfer over the music from MM though, I liked how it would preserve my playlists, ratings, cover art and etc when used with my Pre.

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for posting your thoughts. I am a launch day Pre girl and while I have decided to move on to Android, I just can't seem to make the leap.

My biggest block is the lack of physical keyboard. How bad is it, really? I am considering going with the Epic 4G just to keep a keyboard, but I understand it is actually on its way out of the lineup and I don't want to have my new phone already be old. LOL

Oh, and does it strike any of you as ironic that we are going from one of the shortest named phones to the longest? Seriously, what are we calling this thing? :p