Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I tried the Eptouch and the data was terrible so I'm outta here

10 19.23%
  • No, the data isnt that bad and I'm going to stick it out

30 57.69%
  • I'm still not sure

12 23.08%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    Forgive me if I don't consider a corporate store tech to be a credible source. Every Sprint employee has an opinion about everything and 90% of the time it ends up being BS. It's great that your speeds have improved, but we know this is an ongoing in-progress initiative so it stands to reason that over time various markets will improve, this is far from confirmation that the entire project will be completed shortly.

I really hope you are right, but as I said I'm not holding my breath. October 7 will tell....
    na hes a credible source been dealing with him for a couple years. If hes wasn't I wouldn't post what he conveyed to me.
    His word was mid 2012 network would be tight.

I must add that I hate my local Sprint stores 99.9 of of CS stinks to high heaven I dread going into them lol

The OP is right, Sprint 3G speeds are equivalent to AT&T Edge speed, and Sprint 4G speeds are equivalent to AT&T 3G speeds.

If you rely on 3G speeds a lot, you're better off going to AT&T or T-Mobile. Verizon 3G speeds are not that great either.

Around a month ago when i still had my Evo 3d, i was able to get around 6-10 down and around 1-3 up on 4G. That was inside my school. Shouldve taken a screenshot...

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Living in the Chicago_burbs, I agree 110% with everything you wrote. I average 3G speeds of 200k/sec, totally unacceptable.

If the October 7th announcement from Sprint, is just them getting the iPhone5, and BS talk about future network upgrades/fixes, I am gone to Verizon for the Nexus-Prime.
    the sad reality is those are actually good data speeds for sprint in chicago. in downtown, during weekday hours of 8am to 5pm, the average 3G data speed i've gotten is less than 50kbps (more like 5-15kbps) basically making it unusable. 4G speeds are better around 3mbps to 5mbps. at other times, the 3G data speeds average 450kbps.

a lot of people tout sprint has unlimited data speeds but at these speeds, there's no way you'll use more than 2GB a month and there's no reason to throttle data speeds when they are this slow. With ATT/tmobile/verizon, at least you can use the 2GB they allot for you.

I like sprint but that doesn't mean i don't have to acknowledge reality.

Quote Originally Posted by paco22 View Post
    Around a month ago when i still had my Evo 3d, i was able to get around 6-10 down and around 1-3 up on 4G. That was inside my school. Shouldve taken a screenshot...
    Sprint's data network really is in serious flux right now, stuff is happening day to day to change performance in different locations for better or worse, so it is hard to compare the data performance of two phones unless you are using them in the exact same place at the exact same time (or at least nearly simultaneously). I.e. something could posslbly be occurring in your area on the Sprint side that wasn't happening when you had your 3D. No way to know for sure, which is frustrating.

Speed may not be consistent from what I experienced but good enough for what I'm paying.... I'm in nw chicago suburbs and this is my speed now while laying on my couch at home..

Quote Originally Posted by kpazzo6 View Post
    Speed may not be consistent from what I experienced but good enough for what I'm paying.... I'm in nw chicago suburbs and this is my speed now while laying on my couch at home..

That's pretty poor for 4G...

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by androidpirate View Post
    the sad reality is those are actually good data speeds for sprint in chicago. in downtown, during weekday hours of 8am to 5pm, the average 3G data speed i've gotten is less than 50kbps (more like 5-15kbps) basically making it unusable. 4G speeds are better around 3mbps to 5mbps. at other times, the 3G data speeds average 450kbps.

a lot of people tout sprint has unlimited data speeds but at these speeds, there's no way you'll use more than 2GB a month and there's no reason to throttle data speeds when they are this slow. With ATT/tmobile/verizon, at least you can use the 2GB they allot for you.

I like sprint but that doesn't mean i don't have to acknowledge reality.
    +1 on this. No wonder sprint offers unlimited data. You are not likely to hit the limits with everyday usage with that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtyin3 View Post
    That's pretty poor for 4G...
    Whats it suppose to be?

Carrier
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Network Vision Information Center

heres some info for you guys about Sprints plan

Carrier
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by kpazzo6 View Post
    Looks light you only got 1 bar so that goods. I get 4 to 7 tops with full bars but average more like 3 to 4 mbs

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    If Sprint upgraded their entire 3G footprint to EVDO Rev B, which can be done relatively easily and offers 3-9 mb/s speeds as well as greatly increased network capacity, they could take their sweet time with LTE and most people would be satisfied. There is some rumor that this is part of the Oct. 7 announcement. It would be a very smart interim strategy but I'm not holding my breath.
    What is involved (from sprint's side) if they moved to Rev B? Is this just a software upgrade at the cell sites, or is this new hardware (antennas, etc)? Also, I assume phones would need a different radio to handle Rev B?

If all that's true, then I just can't imagine Sprint would dump that kind of money/effort into an interim solution.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
    The OP is right, Sprint 3G speeds are equivalent to AT&T Edge speed, and Sprint 4G speeds are equivalent to AT&T 3G speeds.

If you rely on 3G speeds a lot, you're better off going to AT&T or T-Mobile. Verizon 3G speeds are not that great either.
    With Sprint, you cannot use your own experience to project to anybody else. It is just inconsistent. You have people saying Sprint is really slow and other saying Sprint is fine. They are both right, for their areas. Michigan in general is very bad. In my area, at the local mall I get 1.7M/850k. At my home I get 350-550k/250-450k. Roaming on VZ at my home I get 2.2M/950k. This is all with the same phone. So is it really slow? yes, is it reasonably fast? yes.

All that you really care is how it performs for your own situation. If it is slow everywhere you use it, then you should return it. It could take many months before it improves and there are no guarantees. However don't make the assumption the network performs that slow everywhere as there are areas where it works fine.

As to PRL, if you are talking native Sprint, it is highly doubtful it will make any difference. The Sprint native portions of the PRL haven't changed in ages, only the roaming partners.

As to signal strength, it can make a big difference if you have low signal strength when you are testing. I know a coupld of people who upgraded from Evo to Evo Shift and Evo 3d who are getting slower speeds than there Evo due to signal strength as tested with side-by-side comparisons. However, if that is the primary location you use your phone and you can't move around, then it doesn't matter if at the window you can get acceptable speeds. Don't expect the signal strength to improve until they finish their network vision upgrades and even then, there are no guarantees. Go with what you know, rather than what you are promised. Once again, if it doesn't work for you, return it. If it turns out the Epic Touch has poor radio performance, you might want to try out a Photon, which has the best signal performance of any Sprint phone right now. Of course, if that isn't a phone you want, once gain, Sprint doesn't work for you, so get out.

As to 4g, people were getting 6-12Mbps when it was first released, but now that more people are using it, it is often down to 2-5Mbps. There is always the potential for this to happen to any carrier as more people use the network and the backhaul is exhausted. WiMax is clearly capable of handling faster speeds so the bottleneck is somewhere else. Again, if you have slow speeds in your area making it unusable, return and get out.

Sprint changed their return policy from 30 days to 14 days starting with purchases 9/16/2011 so if you want to return it, do it soon, don't dither around trying to give them a chance.

Having said all that, there are many areas that Sprint works ok. so it doesn't help trying to convince those folks that Sprint is unusable. It just isn't true for them even though it might be true for you.
    ChaosShadow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by minsc View Post
    What is involved (from sprint's side) if they moved to Rev B? Is this just a software upgrade at the cell sites, or is this new hardware (antennas, etc)? Also, I assume phones would need a different radio to handle Rev B?

If all that's true, then I just can't imagine Sprint would dump that kind of money/effort into an interim solution.
    Towers require new software and (I think) new modems. Sprint's recent smartphones, from at least the EVO 4G onward, already support Rev B.

The reason Sprint might go this way is that they have minimal Wimax footprint and will take several years to get significant LTE footprint. Rev B would allow them to provide a good high speed data experience (better than what AT&T has been marketing as "4G" for the past few years) in all markets well ahead of when they could possibly achieve this with LTE. Time is of the essence since they botched Wimax -- they can't provide competitive high speed data in a huge part of their coverage area and they are going to lose customers rapidly if they don't fix this fast. Rev B is the fastest way to remedy this. There was actually lots of talk about Rev B happening back in the mid-2000s, but at some point Sprint got the brilliant idea to jump on Wimax and stop working on deployment of further updates to EVDO. With 20/20 hindsight, they would have been better off passing on Wimax, fully exploiting Rev B then moving directly to LTE.
    slave likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

This is my typical 3G average everywhere from downtown Chicago to the northwest suburbs

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Also forgot to mention that's with almost full bars, in a very strong sprint coverage area.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

This is what i get on my home wifi network. Would be nice to see this on Sprint's 4G network. Wishful thinking, i know

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

These were my results from exact same places with my iP4 on AT&T. As you can see the major difference in 3G speeds. If I could just get consistent 3G speeds with Sprint of at least 1.5Mbps down, I would stay.

Where are you guys that you arent using wifi 95% of the time. These speeds ur report are more then capable of browsing

Quote Originally Posted by minsc View Post
    I'm surprised by all the people suggesting that there might be something wrong with the OP's phone and/or network in his area. It's neither. The reality is that EVDO just doesn't compare to HSDPA for data speeds. EVDO is old (relatively speaking of course), it's a legacy technology. As much as I can't stomach the thought of switching to AT&T, I would enjoy a nice bump in data speeds as well as a much larger 3G footprint where I live.

The real kick in the pants for us Sprint users is that Wimax is an utter joke. Spotty coverage at best combined with the fact that it's now a dead-end technology that Sprint won't be spending any more money on since they're switching to LTE. Plus, Sprint operates Wimax on that horrid 2500 mhz spectrum which can barely punch it's way through a wet paper bag.

Someday we'll all be on LTE, but until that time HSDPA is really the best technology - it's just a shame that the only real choice for that is AT&T. (yeah, I know T-Mobile too, but their coverage area is fairly limited)
    Perfect post. For right now we are screwed if your in a poor Sprint city, like me in Chicago, with 3G speeds on average at 200k/sec, which is unacceptable. ATT data speeds are much better, their 3G is almost like Sprint's 4G. But I hate ATT, they have the worst phone selection, they put all their eggs in the iPhone basket, and might get one good Android device per year.
    ChaosShadow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    This is my typical 3G average everywhere from downtown Chicago to the northwest suburbs

I can verify that Live in the Chicago_western burbs and average like 200k/sec down on 3G, been this bad the whole year.

Just wait till the iPhone5 hits Sprint, will be lucky to break 50k/sec.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

That's exactly what's scaring me. If its this bad now, we are in trouble soon.

Yeah just imagine a few million new iPhone5 users sucking up the Sprint bandwidth next month You think it's bad now, it will be unusable after that.

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. Time for me to jump to Verizon and get the Nexus-Prime on November 3rd, as long as I can find a family plan somewhat close to my Sprint plan, otherwise will check out ATT, they are getting the Prime on November 24th.

Yeah just imagine a few million new iPhone5 users sucking up the Sprint bandwidth next month You think it's bad now, it will be unusable after that.

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. .
    I doubt the iPhone is going to make all that huge a difference in Sprint's network load. I don't see a stampede of people joining Sprint for the iPhone, since it's already available on the two biggest networks. And I don't think current Sprint customers are necessarily going to use hugely more data on the iPhone then they used on their previous smartphones.
    CrashPush likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. Time for me to jump to Verizon and get the Nexus-Prime on November 3rd, as long as I can find a family plan somewhat close to my Sprint plan, otherwise will check out ATT, they are getting the Prime on November 24th.
    That prime sounds so tempting!! Especially the thought of a 1280x720 HD screen, wow! And a possible metal body. Im in.

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast