Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also forgot to mention that's with almost full bars, in a very strong sprint coverage area.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is what i get on my home wifi network. Would be nice to see this on Sprint's 4G network. Wishful thinking, i know

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
These were my results from exact same places with my iP4 on AT&T. As you can see the major difference in 3G speeds. If I could just get consistent 3G speeds with Sprint of at least 1.5Mbps down, I would stay.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Where are you guys that you arent using wifi 95% of the time. These speeds ur report are more then capable of browsing

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by all the people suggesting that there might be something wrong with the OP's phone and/or network in his area. It's neither. The reality is that EVDO just doesn't compare to HSDPA for data speeds. EVDO is old (relatively speaking of course), it's a legacy technology. As much as I can't stomach the thought of switching to AT&T, I would enjoy a nice bump in data speeds as well as a much larger 3G footprint where I live.

The real kick in the pants for us Sprint users is that Wimax is an utter joke. Spotty coverage at best combined with the fact that it's now a dead-end technology that Sprint won't be spending any more money on since they're switching to LTE. Plus, Sprint operates Wimax on that horrid 2500 mhz spectrum which can barely punch it's way through a wet paper bag.

Someday we'll all be on LTE, but until that time HSDPA is really the best technology - it's just a shame that the only real choice for that is AT&T. (yeah, I know T-Mobile too, but their coverage area is fairly limited)

Perfect post. For right now we are screwed if your in a poor Sprint city, like me in Chicago, with 3G speeds on average at 200k/sec, which is unacceptable. ATT data speeds are much better, their 3G is almost like Sprint's 4G. But I hate ATT, they have the worst phone selection, they put all their eggs in the iPhone basket, and might get one good Android device per year.

Reactions: ChaosShadow

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
This is my typical 3G average everywhere from downtown Chicago to the northwest suburbs

I can verify that :( Live in the Chicago_western burbs and average like 200k/sec down on 3G, been this bad the whole year.

Just wait till the iPhone5 hits Sprint, will be lucky to break 50k/sec.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just imagine a few million new iPhone5 users sucking up the Sprint bandwidth next month :eek: You think it's bad now, it will be unusable after that.

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. Time for me to jump to Verizon and get the Nexus-Prime on November 3rd, as long as I can find a family plan somewhat close to my Sprint plan, otherwise will check out ATT, they are getting the Prime on November 24th.

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just imagine a few million new iPhone5 users sucking up the Sprint bandwidth next month :eek: You think it's bad now, it will be unusable after that.

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. .

I doubt the iPhone is going to make all that huge a difference in Sprint's network load. I don't see a stampede of people joining Sprint for the iPhone, since it's already available on the two biggest networks. And I don't think current Sprint customers are necessarily going to use hugely more data on the iPhone then they used on their previous smartphones.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. Time for me to jump to Verizon and get the Nexus-Prime on November 3rd, as long as I can find a family plan somewhat close to my Sprint plan, otherwise will check out ATT, they are getting the Prime on November 24th.

That prime sounds so tempting!! Especially the thought of a 1280x720 HD screen, wow! And a possible metal body. Im in.

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the iPhone is going to make all that huge a difference in Sprint's network load. I don't see a stampede of people joining Sprint for the iPhone, since it's already available on the two biggest networks. And I don't think current Sprint customers are necessarily going to use hugely more data on the iPhone then they used on their previous smartphones.

If Sprint keeps the unlimited data expect the stampede. As far as their network holding up? Now that's another story

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all I want to thank all who take the time and effort to post-I appreciate you!:D Living on the far North side of Chicago, this thread is a great help to me in a final phone selection.

For way too many months I have bee struggling (sp?) to get by with my POS BB that I have used for Internet via PDAnet. As you might imagine it has been snail slow, but until now I thought it was entirely due to the phone.

At first I was sure the Evo3D was my savior, but then I read about poor call quality and funky reception. Besides the phone just didn't do it for me.

Then I was positive the Photon was it. Really liked the phone and knew of Moto's great radios. Then I saw the screen which was a problem even with my less than perfect eye sight. No sale.:(

Then the phone of all phones-the one to beat-the giant killer-the ET2 (or whatever). Very late to the party and as I predicted, within weeks of the iPhone release (bone heads :mad: ) Now it's data performance, pixelated print, as well as the Sprint network in general appears to be huge issues.

I'm not a hater that never will buy I phone-I'm aching to buy something. All I want is fast Internet that will stream Netflix when I want, decent call quality and sharp print for reading web pages. That's it.

I just don't know which way to turn.:-\ Maybe wait one more time for Apple to come through with a 4" screen and I'll live with 3G only?

This is getting way too old-and so is this &^%#@% BB! :mad: Thoughts?

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Sprint's iPhone is just going to be a kind of "since you didn't jump ship before to try an iPhone, now we got it so here's your chance" phone. I also believe that most of Sprint's customers will always be Android users.

I'm in New York City and service here has also declined. And I'm talking about voice and data. I'm giving them until early next to get their act together or I'm moving my main line back to my Verizon account.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Got2buzz, I would strongly suggest just waiting another 5-6 weeks, it will be worth the wait. The "Nexus-Prime" is the next generation Android device, all new 4.0 "Ice Cream" build radically updating the entire OS, and the phone itself is supposed to be amazing, with the best highest res screen ever created for a smartphone. Will be razor thin and metal chassis.

Rumors point to a November 3rd release on Verizon and November 24th on ATT, Sprint possibly in December.

Reactions: Got2buzz

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This is the one thing that has kept me from moving to Sprint. I have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon and their LTE service is awesome. I am getting an average of 17mbps down and 4.3mbps up on my Bionic. I will probably be getting the Prime when it is released and it should be the best phone to have for awhile.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is the one thing that has kept me from moving to Sprint. I have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon and their LTE service is awesome. I am getting an average of 17mbps down and 4.3mbps up on my Bionic. I will probably be getting the Prime when it is released and it should be the best phone to have for awhile.

With those speeds your getting, you would want to cry if you left for Sprint. I can't even hit 1 measly MB on the download.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Towers require new software and (I think) new modems. Sprint's recent smartphones, from at least the EVO 4G onward, already support Rev B.

The reason Sprint might go this way is that they have minimal Wimax footprint and will take several years to get significant LTE footprint. Rev B would allow them to provide a good high speed data experience (better than what AT&T has been marketing as "4G" for the past few years) in all markets well ahead of when they could possibly achieve this with LTE. Time is of the essence since they botched Wimax -- they can't provide competitive high speed data in a huge part of their coverage area and they are going to lose customers rapidly if they don't fix this fast. Rev B is the fastest way to remedy this. There was actually lots of talk about Rev B happening back in the mid-2000s, but at some point Sprint got the brilliant idea to jump on Wimax and stop working on deployment of further updates to EVDO. With 20/20 hindsight, they would have been better off passing on Wimax, fully exploiting Rev B then moving directly to LTE.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Sprint's recent CDMA radios also supported Rev B. I sure hope they do that, would definitely keep me on Sprint - but somehow I doubt it. I remember back years ago (like 2005'ish) when EVDO first came onto the scene and it was widely thought that all the CDMA carriers would quickly jump right up to Rev B. (rev B also supports simultaneous voice/data I think..) Obviously that never happened. In fact, are there any CDMA networks anywhere in the world that are operating EVDO Rev B? Maybe Korea??

The problem with LTE is the same beef I have with Wimax, which is that it requires a separate radio. Battery life is always tenuous on modern smartphones, and the thought of having a 2nd cellular radio on all the time just bothers me. Especially a radio that is as power hungry as Wimax or LTE. That's why I like HSPA: decent data speeds, simultaneous voice/data, and all on the same radio. Someday when LTE is everywhere then it won't matter since we'll be doing voip on LTE, but that "someday" is a long way off methinks.

Bmin

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Louisville, Ky here and I can barely get 500k on a good day. With this terrible speed and the dropping of the premier program is leaving me wondering why I stay. Bleh.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint keeps the unlimited data expect the stampede. As far as their network holding up? Now that's another story

Caped data is for noobs. Most iphone enthusiasts have one and have unlimited data on the two power houses. Nobody is rushing to Sprint for unlimited data on a iphone. VZW didn't let me go either, LYRICS and unlimited 4G hotpot. This network hauls. The iphone will still certainly attract first time users ;-)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol