Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Sprint's recent CDMA radios also supported Rev B. I sure hope they do that, would definitely keep me on Sprint - but somehow I doubt it. I remember back years ago (like 2005'ish) when EVDO first came onto the scene and it was widely thought that all the CDMA carriers would quickly jump right up to Rev B. (rev B also supports simultaneous voice/data I think..) Obviously that never happened. In fact, are there any CDMA networks anywhere in the world that are operating EVDO Rev B? Maybe Korea??

The problem with LTE is the same beef I have with Wimax, which is that it requires a separate radio. Battery life is always tenuous on modern smartphones, and the thought of having a 2nd cellular radio on all the time just bothers me. Especially a radio that is as power hungry as Wimax or LTE. That's why I like HSPA: decent data speeds, simultaneous voice/data, and all on the same radio. Someday when LTE is everywhere then it won't matter since we'll be doing voip on LTE, but that "someday" is a long way off methinks.

You don't need a second radio. The second gen LTE chipsets are all multi-mode that do CDMA/evdo/LTE all off one chip. Wimax never got those because it's a boutique technology.

As for Rev. B; when it was introduced carriers took a long hard look at it, but passed because they wanted to focus on 4g instead. For Verizon especially, their rev. A speeds are more than sufficient and stable, so there was no need for rev. B.

In sprints situation, rev. B would be a great stopgap until they begin their LTE buildout, and it's actually doable since they're replacing all of their network equipment anyways due to network vision. Or in other words, the money is going to be spent regardless, so they might as well jump to rev. B in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Caped data is for noobs. Most iphone enthusiasts have one and have unlimited data on the two power houses. Nobody is rushing to Sprint for unlimited data on a iphone. VZW didn't let me go either, LYRICS and unlimited 4G hotpot. This network hauls. The iphone will still certainly attract first time users ;-)

Well i appreciate your enthusiasm, BUT "capped" data is far from being for noobs. I like many others do certainly appreciate unlimited, unthrottled data, but not at the cost of 200-400Kbps down. What's the point of all the data if it sucks? You get what you pay for has never been more true.

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You don't need a second radio. The second gen LTE chipsets are all multi-mode that do CDMA/evdo/LTE all off one chip. Wimax never got those because it's a boutique technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are today's LTE phones (like the Thunderbolt, Charge, etc) using that multi-mode chip? I know you can turn LTE off, which is why I assumed that meant it was a separate radio.

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the Eptouch 4G in the hopes that I could ditch my iP4 with AT&T and enjoy some unlimited data on Sprint with an awesome Android. Boy was I mistaken! The data speeds everywhere here in Chicago I have tested have been abysmal at best. I can't break 1Mbps down on 3G with Sprint to save my life. I consistently get 2-3Mbps down on my AT&T iP4 in the exact same places. What gives? Is this the price we pay for having unlimited data?? I know it isn't just me as I have seen MANY video reviews, including some recent ones from Aaron from phonedog, saying the exact same things. I love the Eptouch 4G, but absolutely hate Sprint's data. While it may be unlimited, I now understand the "get what you pay for" saying. Sprint needs to focus on this issue and stop wasting so much damn effort and money on this whole AT&T-Tmobile issue. Something like this will tarnish them into bankruptcy or buyout.

Yikes down here in SW IL 3g speeds are decent 1.2-1.6 and 4g speeds are very good 6-10 MBPS

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This test was done back in 2009.

2011-09-18_20-48-11.png

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well i appreciate your enthusiasm, BUT "capped" data is far from being for noobs. I like many others do certainly appreciate unlimited, unthrottled data, but not at the cost of 200-400Kbps down. What's the point of all the data if it sucks? You get what you pay for has never been more true.

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

Maybe I should rephrase that. Capped data is for new contracts. The millions on unlimited are grandfathered in on whatever with whatever upgrades. I agree, sprint sucks here as well. On their website they even warn me that coverage is limited here. Not to mention slow slow slow. Agree, you get what you pay for. I would way rather have a fast data connection than a fast "looking" whatever.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear every person in this post is having some sprint service issues, but speeds down in SW FL are pretty consistent @ 890dwn & 470up.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry that you have bad 3g speeds. I wish I had 4g in my area. But, I get really good performance with 3g in my area of Riverside, CA. P.s. how do I take screenshots without the task manager pane in the way?

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I got in the miami suburbs with about 2-3 bars on 3G. Sprint speeds are pretty good around here, but reception can be an issue.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just imagine a few million new iPhone5 users sucking up the Sprint bandwidth next month :eek: You think it's bad now, it will be unusable after that.

I see Sprint's network practically crashing after the iPhone release. Time for me to jump to Verizon and get the Nexus-Prime on November 3rd, as long as I can find a family plan somewhat close to my Sprint plan, otherwise will check out ATT, they are getting the Prime on November 24th.
Then think of a few million new iPhone5 users returning their Sprint iPhone for another carrier. You think they are going to be happy with crap speeds?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the iPhone is going to make all that huge a difference in Sprint's network load. I don't see a stampede of people joining Sprint for the iPhone, since it's already available on the two biggest networks. And I don't think current Sprint customers are necessarily going to use hugely more data on the iPhone then they used on their previous smartphones.
Smartphone to iPhone will probably be a wash in data used. The big increase is if lots of feature phone users that were holding out suddenly start getting smartphones, in this case iPhone 5. Then data usage will go up. The surge from other carriers will probably be a 1 quarter phenomenon from pent up demand, after that it'll settle back to every carrier has iPhone 5, so just base decision on which carrier you like better, which is the way its been for a long time with Android already. In case it wasn't clear, that second part I'm mostly agreeing with what you said.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In sprints situation, rev. B would be a great stopgap until they begin their LTE buildout, and it's actually doable since they're replacing all of their network equipment anyways due to network vision. Or in other words, the money is going to be spent regardless, so they might as well jump to rev. B in the process.
Why wouldn't they just do the LTE buildout as part of Network Vision?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should rephrase that. Capped data is for new contracts. The millions on unlimited are grandfathered in on whatever with whatever upgrades. I agree, sprint sucks here as well. On their website they even warn me that coverage is limited here. Not to mention slow slow slow. Agree, you get what you pay for. I would way rather have a fast data connection than a fast "looking" whatever.
Recently Sprint has been in the habit of only allowing newer phones on current plans. You have no assurances you'll actually be grandfathered on anything with Sprint. They like to change terms mid-contract and just say tough, if you don't like it, leave. Before they would at least waive the ETF. Now they just say tough, eat the ETF and leave if you don't like it.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It is really bad here in norhtern cali. I get pathetic .05mb at my house, I gave the evo 3d to my dad, and have the sgs2, and I even tried the photon and all three got the same speeds. I can usually connect to 4g and that bearly hits a meg at my house, and sometimes it hits 2. It is horrible, I dont care though because I can use wifi at home, but it is pretty horrible, if sprint doesn't update their network fast, people will get the speeds I get when the iphone 5 hits sprint, lol.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
This is the one thing that has kept me from moving to Sprint. I have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon and their LTE service is awesome. I am getting an average of 17mbps down and 4.3mbps up on my Bionic. I will probably be getting the Prime when it is released and it should be the best phone to have for awhile.
You definitely want to hang onto that as long as you possibly can. I like Sprint but I'm not wth them for their service.

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Go with the Galaxy S II on AT&T. It should be out "any day now" or better still, hold off till the end of November and go with Verizon w/LTE on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime (a/k/a: Droid Prime)

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Taptalk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463