Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I tried the Eptouch and the data was terrible so I'm outta here

    10 19.23%
  • No, the data isnt that bad and I'm going to stick it out

    30 57.69%
  • I'm still not sure

    12 23.08%
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 241
Like Tree25Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    I picked up the Eptouch 4G in the hopes that I could ditch my iP4 with AT&T and enjoy some unlimited data on Sprint with an awesome Android. Boy was I mistaken! The data speeds everywhere here in Chicago I have tested have been abysmal at best. I can't break 1Mbps down on 3G with Sprint to save my life. I consistently get 2-3Mbps down on my AT&T iP4 in the exact same places. What gives? Is this the price we pay for having unlimited data?? I know it isn't just me as I have seen MANY video reviews, including some recent ones from Aaron from phonedog, saying the exact same things. I love the Eptouch 4G, but absolutely hate Sprint's data. While it may be unlimited, I now understand the "get what you pay for" saying. Sprint needs to focus on this issue and stop wasting so much damn effort and money on this whole AT&T-Tmobile issue. Something like this will tarnish them into bankruptcy or buyout.
  2. #2  
    s14tat's Avatar

    Posts
    434 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    You should give it some time, Sprint says that they are working on the network ( rumors say that they are expanding their 3G network in preparation for the next Iphone launch).
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Have fun getting raped for those supposed faster data speeds! I knowa few things id much rather spend an extra 50$ a month on! Like maybe a credit card payment fora new tablet!:-)

    Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 running "The Beginning" by Task650
    Nexus 7 - retired
    Galaxy S3 - retired
    Galaxy Note 2 - retired
    Galaxy Note 3 - Stock
    svargas05, TheDonJ77 and pridee like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Or maybe food?
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    I picked up the Eptouch 4G in the hopes that I could ditch my iP4 with AT&T and enjoy some unlimited data on Sprint with an awesome Android. Boy was I mistaken! The data speeds everywhere here in Chicago I have tested have been abysmal at best. I can't break 1Mbps down on 3G with Sprint to save my life. I consistently get 2-3Mbps down on my AT&T iP4 in the exact same places. What gives? Is this the price we pay for having unlimited data?? I know it isn't just me as I have seen MANY video reviews, including some recent ones from Aaron from phonedog, saying the exact same things. I love the Eptouch 4G, but absolutely hate Sprint's data. While it may be unlimited, I now understand the "get what you pay for" saying. Sprint needs to focus on this issue and stop wasting so much damn effort and money on this whole AT&T-Tmobile issue. Something like this will tarnish them into bankruptcy or buyout.
    Took mine back today as well for this reason. The phone is awesome, but the slow data on Sprint in Chicago cripples the experience. I really was looking forward to being able to switch from AT&T, but even Sprint support says "don't worry it will get better soon" when it comes to their network issues in Chicago.

    Sorry, Sprint, I am not willing to commit to a new carrier in the hopes that it will get better "soon". At least with AT&T, I know what I am getting. To me, this is a classic situation where the devil you know is better than one you don't.
    Thanked by:
    AZDROIDX and JoeR32 like this.
  6. #6  
    DNicolasL's Avatar

    Posts
    404 Posts
    Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

    Default

    Its not just Chicago. I never crack 1Mbps in Panama City, FL

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Yup. I haven't got past 1.5 Mbs for over half a year. When I first got the EVO 4g I get 3 Mbs for a couple months. Now I get mostly 100 to 300 Kbs. I am of course talking about 3G speeds.
    AZDROIDX likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Chicago doesn't have 4G?
    AZDROIDX likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    I agree Sprint is sucking hard in Chicago area. Having the EVO 4G...EVO-3D...Nexus-S 4G they all got crap 3G downloads, on average 200k/sec, which is a joke. Makes opening up a standard news website take forever.

    I might be very tempted to leave for Verizon and get the Prime next month.
    Nexus 4 running on Straight Talk AT&T
    [ROM] Official CM10.1 Nightly 4.2.2
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

    HTC "international" One X
    [ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    3G speeds here in the southern suburbs of Detroit are terrible.

    My evo at times is useless trying to search the internet, or even stream pandora/slacker radio.

    One reason I am looking at the galaxy. It has the new chipset for the new 800mhz band or evdo rev b something like that. Hoping that will make a difference.

    The funny thing is things use to be really fast. The last year to year and a half... The speeds have gotten really bad. This seems to be a trend from all the stuff I see on the message boards and witness first hand.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
    Chicago doesn't have 4G?
    Yes, but it is only available/usable in certain areas. In many places it is barely faster than 3G and not worth the extra battery drain.

    Take your pick -- Sprint's unlimited but very often slow data, or faster but metered/tiered/more expensive data on other carriers. No carrier offers everything. Sprint's network upgrades will make Sprint data speeds more competitive but will take several years to complete -- and there is no guarantee that Sprint will continue to offer unlimited data when they are done.
  12. #12  
    pirarre's Avatar

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    OMG! Another one of those people that say...."sniff, sniff,...I can't get data speeds as fast as AT&T....what will I ever do!? Also, I'm returning my new car cause the car door won't open fast enough...BOO HOO! I really, REALLY liked the phone and the car but my god, it takes forever to download porn...whaaaaaaa! Anyone got a tissue, I have snot running down my face..."

    Before returning it, why don't you call sprint and have them reprovision it. Also, did you try to update your PRL and Profile? Try a call using *18 (resets phone to nearest tower.) Try doing a factory reset?? If you didn't try any or all of these, something like that will tarnish your reputation into oblivion.
    I agree with you Gator. Everybody know that sprint data speeds is not the greatest but people still make the move then complain about the

    Sprint is also working on their towers so that could be an issue as well...who knows.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device:
    16GB Moto G
  13. #13  
    sndplace's Avatar

    Posts
    1,001 Posts
    ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Its a known fact that Sprints network isn't all that fast. We should have done our homework before switching. How ever in doing this homework, we would have also known that they are updating throughout the country and have lost some towers. It will get better and will be much faster. I live in NY and my speeds are sometimes less then 1mb on 3g but it has always done the job I needed to do. Everyone should look into a carrier and there coverage B4 getting a phone anyway. Sorry its not what you expected or use to but Sprint is the 3rd biggest carrier. It will be Better soon hopefully then you will switch back and Enjoy Sprint like I do...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Chicago has 4G but it's extremely spotty. I agree with what the others are saying about paying more money with AT&T, and its not something I enjoy doing. Thing is, crap data speeds make a phone like the Eptouch4G miserable! Once the iPhone comes to Sprint it's going to be even worse. I will pay more to actually enjoy my data centric device. I'm getting 200-400Kbps down on Sprint 3G. That's barely even 2G. It's a joke.
  15. #15  
    Cubfan's Avatar

    Posts
    970 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I am thinking of switching to Verizon, who just turned on LTE in my town. My 3g has been terrible, like maybe 400k on a good day.

    If V gets the Prime alone, I'm gone.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    bplewis24 likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    If the Oct. 7 Sprint data strategy announcement doesn't include system-wide 3G upgrades including availability of EVDO Rev B in the very near future, I am likely leaving Sprint. The Wimax deployment was a complete fiasco and it will be at least several years before LTE has any significant footprint. In the meanwhile Sprint 3G service has gotten progressively worse where I live (central Illinois) and in many many other markets. In the past I found the cost/performance tradeoff on Sprint to be acceptable but I no longer do.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    If the Oct. 7 Sprint data strategy announcement doesn't include system-wide 3G upgrades including availability of EVDO Rev B in the very near future, I am likely leaving Sprint. The Wimax deployment was a complete fiasco and it will be at least several years before LTE has any significant footprint. In the meanwhile Sprint 3G service has gotten progressively worse where I live (central Illinois) and in many many other markets. In the past I found the cost/performance tradeoff on Sprint to be acceptable but I no longer do.
    Living in the Chicago_burbs, I agree 110% with everything you wrote. I average 3G speeds of 200k/sec, totally unacceptable.

    If the October 7th announcement from Sprint, is just them getting the iPhone5, and BS talk about future network upgrades/fixes, I am gone to Verizon for the Nexus-Prime.
    Nexus 4 running on Straight Talk AT&T
    [ROM] Official CM10.1 Nightly 4.2.2
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

    HTC "international" One X
    [ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    Chicago has 4G but it's extremely spotty. I agree with what the others are saying about paying more money with AT&T, and its not something I enjoy doing. Thing is, crap data speeds make a phone like the Eptouch4G miserable! Once the iPhone comes to Sprint it's going to be even worse. I will pay more to actually enjoy my data centric device. I'm getting 200-400Kbps down on Sprint 3G. That's barely even 2G. It's a joke.
    Ive been with Sprint 7 years speed was great then EVO4G hit network knocking down my speed numbers below yours pretty sad really - try 90 up.
    3 months ago that changed I'm now getting 800-900 kbs down / 600-700 up.
    Sprint network upgrade should be completed in 2nd Q 2012 to bad you couldn't stick around for it
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
    sndplace likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    I'm surprised by all the people suggesting that there might be something wrong with the OP's phone and/or network in his area. It's neither. The reality is that EVDO just doesn't compare to HSDPA for data speeds. EVDO is old (relatively speaking of course), it's a legacy technology. As much as I can't stomach the thought of switching to AT&T, I would enjoy a nice bump in data speeds as well as a much larger 3G footprint where I live.

    The real kick in the pants for us Sprint users is that Wimax is an utter joke. Spotty coverage at best combined with the fact that it's now a dead-end technology that Sprint won't be spending any more money on since they're switching to LTE. Plus, Sprint operates Wimax on that horrid 2500 mhz spectrum which can barely punch it's way through a wet paper bag.

    Someday we'll all be on LTE, but until that time HSDPA is really the best technology - it's just a shame that the only real choice for that is AT&T. (yeah, I know T-Mobile too, but their coverage area is fairly limited)
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    If the Oct. 7 Sprint data strategy announcement doesn't include system-wide 3G upgrades including availability of EVDO Rev B in the very near future, I am likely leaving Sprint. The Wimax deployment was a complete fiasco and it will be at least several years before LTE has any significant footprint. In the meanwhile Sprint 3G service has gotten progressively worse where I live (central Illinois) and in many many other markets. In the past I found the cost/performance tradeoff on Sprint to be acceptable but I no longer do.
    Sprint LTE has a major bump in the road due to Lightsquare spectrum.
    I don't think Government is going to allow them to use it.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
    AZDROIDX likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Sprint network upgrade should be completed in 2nd Q 2012 to bad you couldn't stick around for it
    Kindly direct us to your source for that timing. I know there is no official confirmation as of now. The most optimistic speculation I've seen doesn't have the upgrades completed until sometime in 2013. We can hope for a better schedule to be announced on Oct. 7, so I'm not taking any action before then.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Sprint LTE has a major bump in the road due to Lightsquare spectrum.
    I don't think Government is going to allow them to use it.
    If Sprint upgraded their entire 3G footprint to EVDO Rev B, which can be done relatively easily and offers 3-9 mb/s speeds as well as greatly increased network capacity, they could take their sweet time with LTE and most people would be satisfied. There is some rumor that this is part of the Oct. 7 announcement. It would be a very smart interim strategy but I'm not holding my breath.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    Kindly direct us to your source for that timing. I know there is no official confirmation as of now. The most optimistic speculation I've seen doesn't have the upgrades completed until sometime in 2013. We can hope for a better schedule to be announced on Oct. 7, so I'm not taking any action before then.
    I got the info from tech at Sprint corp store....that was 5 months ago and what to do you know 2 months later my data speed increased so I think he was a reliable source ,
    Sprint Oct announcement should be the official word
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  24. #24  
    Nrbelex's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    I can hit 4Mb/s down and 1.5 up in NYC on 4G. 3G speeds aren't much worse. I expect both to improve gradually, but that's more than fast enough for 90% of my needs.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    I got the info from tech at Sprint corp store....that was 5 months ago and what to do you know 2 months later my data speed increased so I think he was a reliable source ,
    Sprint Oct announcement should be the official word

    Forgive me if I don't consider a corporate store tech to be a credible source. Every Sprint employee has an opinion about everything and 90% of the time it ends up being BS. It's great that your speeds have improved, but we know this is an ongoing in-progress initiative so it stands to reason that over time various markets will improve, this is far from confirmation that the entire project will be completed shortly.

    I really hope you are right, but as I said I'm not holding my breath. October 7 will tell....
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions