View Poll Results: Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I tried the Eptouch and the data was terrible so I'm outta here

10 19.23%
  • No, the data isnt that bad and I'm going to stick it out

30 57.69%
  • I'm still not sure

12 23.08%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Maybe I should rephrase that. Capped data is for new contracts. The millions on unlimited are grandfathered in on whatever with whatever upgrades. I agree, sprint sucks here as well. On their website they even warn me that coverage is limited here. Not to mention slow slow slow. Agree, you get what you pay for. I would way rather have a fast data connection than a fast "looking" whatever.
    Recently Sprint has been in the habit of only allowing newer phones on current plans. You have no assurances you'll actually be grandfathered on anything with Sprint. They like to change terms mid-contract and just say tough, if you don't like it, leave. Before they would at least waive the ETF. Now they just say tough, eat the ETF and leave if you don't like it.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

It is really bad here in norhtern cali. I get pathetic .05mb at my house, I gave the evo 3d to my dad, and have the sgs2, and I even tried the photon and all three got the same speeds. I can usually connect to 4g and that bearly hits a meg at my house, and sometimes it hits 2. It is horrible, I dont care though because I can use wifi at home, but it is pretty horrible, if sprint doesn't update their network fast, people will get the speeds I get when the iphone 5 hits sprint, lol.

For me, unlimited is more important than fast, although Sprint does get frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisv79 View Post
    This is the one thing that has kept me from moving to Sprint. I have grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon and their LTE service is awesome. I am getting an average of 17mbps down and 4.3mbps up on my Bionic. I will probably be getting the Prime when it is released and it should be the best phone to have for awhile.
    You definitely want to hang onto that as long as you possibly can. I like Sprint but I'm not wth them for their service.

Go with the Galaxy S II on AT&T. It should be out "any day now" or better still, hold off till the end of November and go with Verizon w/LTE on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime (a/k/a: Droid Prime)

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Taptalk.
    My Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (Pebble Blue - AT&T), Nexus 7, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Maybe I should rephrase that. Capped data is for new contracts. The millions on unlimited are grandfathered in on whatever with whatever upgrades. I agree, sprint sucks here as well. On their website they even warn me that coverage is limited here. Not to mention slow slow slow. Agree, you get what you pay for. I would way rather have a fast data connection than a fast "looking" whatever.
    I understand that Sprints service isn't that good there but as you stated they tell you this on their site, so if this is true then by them stating that service is limited, then it doesn't really suck, coverage is just not that wide spread there yet. They would suck if they claim to offer great coverage but really don't.

If people would take a few moments just to look into who has the best coverage and who has the worse in there area, people would still find something to complain about but it would be less about the carrier lol
    I'm sure you looked this information up, and hopefully your next phone will be on the best carrier for you....

Added: Also are you guys basing this poor data based on usage or test ran thru a speed test app? i am asking because i ran Speed test and average a but 700 to 500 kbs down but when I run a test a another app Open Signal it reported as high as 1.964mbs down and 670 kbs up . Also when i run the Speedtest app and switch locations further awake by a few miles it actually was faster. I know when i was having issues with my 4G i called up Sprint and they did some kind of update over the air for something can't remember what they called it and it did get faster. you might want to check into any of these test to see if it helps you get better speeds....
    Last edited by sndplace; 09-19-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Well, like Cory pointed out, even years ago, Sprint does rock solid, and more so than others in certain locations depending on the place, I do respect Sprint for warning me. They do cover the city here, it is just the hills and beyond that drop dead. At&t does the same but they won't tell you! I know nobody expects Sprint to have killer data all over. They are building out winmax, and are not capping data so there is a defined advantage for anyone shopping a new contract. I am sure people expect the SG2 to scream with data. I think people should invest the research on network coverage before signing a contract.

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Yeah just posted that as a reference point because people were saying it's gotten a lot worse over the last year or so.

Here's a link to 2011 tests:

Well that makes sence. I am going to check that out:-) I still have a week to jump to Sprint. Hmmmm.

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by cachorropedorro View Post
    How were you able to take a screenshot without the task manager in the way?
    Honestly I just timed it right lol. You have to hit home and power quickly at the exact moment.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    LG Nexus 4 (16 GB) - Stock 4.2 - Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Asus Nexus 7 (16 GB) - Black Bean 6 - Franco Kernel
    Samsung Chromebook (ARM) - Stock

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold...

All in with Google...

Funny. I saw a sprint commercial last night and they talked about how you have caps and data throttling on all the other carriers. But not sprint. You get throttled data the whole time lol.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Mine is going back, I had no idea just how far behind Sprint's network is... back to AT&T for me I guess..

Nice phone tho

ROM
    Stock

Of course the iPhone is faster on AT&T - it has HSDPA. I'm not sure why you were expecting over 1 meg service with 3G on CDMA. That's not realistic. Here are some pre-HSDPA tests on VZW, Sprint, and AT&T.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Galaxy S 2, but the network in Phoenix is usually pretty bad.Don't know what is going on this morning.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds-uploadfromtaptalk1316440316750.png   Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds-uploadfromtaptalk1316440348166.png  

Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Why wouldn't they just do the LTE buildout as part of Network Vision?
    LTE is part of Network Vision, but it's the long-term part. Like Wimax, LTE requires a completely separate network infrastructure on different freqencies than CDMA and is hugely expensive to implement; AT&T and Verizon are spending upwards of a billon dollars per major metro market on their LTE deployments. Sprint doesn't have that kind of coin so plans to build out LTE in conjunction with partners Clearwire and Lightsquared, both of which have had various technical and/or financial problems. Long story short, it will take Sprint years to build out LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
    Funny. I saw a sprint commercial last night and they talked about how you have caps and data throttling on all the other carriers. But not sprint. You get throttled data the whole time lol.

+1. I have friends on T-Mobile whose 4G data is throttled after they hit 2 Gb in a month -- their throttled speeds are equal or better to what I typically get on Sprint.

My 3G speeds in Chicago near north average 1500kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
    Chicago doesn't have 4G?
    Yes, we do have 4g in chicago and it works pretty well for the most part - I'd say about 80% of the time in the city and burbs I get a good 4g signal with speeds between 2.5 and 5mpbs....

Quote Originally Posted by mcp6530 View Post
    Yes, we do have 4g in chicago and it works pretty well for the most part - I'd say about 80% of the time in the city and burbs I get a good 4g signal with speeds between 2.5 and 5mpbs....
    It entirely depends on where you are. In many densely populated parts of Chicago the typical 4G speeds are significantly lower than you are getting, because the towers are overloaded.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  

Quote Originally Posted by rocckky View Post
    My 3G speeds in Chicago near north average 1500kbps.
    Let's see a screenshot pic showing at least a few tests with that average on 3G. I'd love to know how your getting that?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #95  

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmith View Post
    +1. I have friends on T-Mobile whose 4G data is throttled after they hit 2 Gb in a month -- their throttled speeds are equal or better to what I typically get on Sprint.
    Funny as I was just looking at a friends T-Mobile HTC Sensation and he is getting around 700-1000Kbps and that's throttled. He is over 3GB right now so far in monthly data usage.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  

Quote Originally Posted by Kic360 View Post
    I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Galaxy S 2, but the network in Phoenix is usually pretty bad.Don't know what is going on this morning.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Are those tests all on 3G or 4G, besides the wifi ones of course?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #97  

Quote Originally Posted by Coop1979 View Post
    Of course the iPhone is faster on AT&T - it has HSDPA. I'm not sure why you were expecting over 1 meg service with 3G on CDMA. That's not realistic. Here are some pre-HSDPA tests on VZW, Sprint, and AT&T.

Even the non HSDPA speeds with AT&T are faster than what I'm getting with Sprint 3G, by almost double.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #98  

Quote Originally Posted by videian View Post
    Mine is going back, I had no idea just how far behind Sprint's network is... back to AT&T for me I guess..

Nice phone tho
    I feel the same. Phone is absolutely amazing!! Network sucks.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

Quote Originally Posted by Ricolando View Post
    Honestly I just timed it right lol. You have to hit home and power quickly at the exact moment.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    Hold the home button first then hit the power button quickly after.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #100  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Yeah just posted that as a reference point because people were saying it's gotten a lot worse over the last year or so.

Here's a link to 2011 tests:

That article for Chicago doesn't even really mention Sprint, at least from what I read on my phone here. Are you saying it's been crap all along? Or?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast