Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tkemack
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Burning hot

We got 3 new Sprint Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II) and at least two of them have the same problem: When they are charging, they get BURNING hot. So much so that the screen flashes a high temperature warning. (Never seen that before on any phone.)

When unplugged, they started cooling down, but one of them refuses not to boot (at least for now).

One was being charged with the charger that came with it. The other was just plugged in using a standard USB cable to a laptop.

Anyone else having this problem?

Default Re: Burning hot

try a different electrical outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorsts View Post
    We got 3 new Sprint Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II) and at least two of them have the same problem: When they are charging, they get BURNING hot. So much so that the screen flashes a high temperature warning. (Never seen that before on any phone.)

When unplugged, they started cooling down, but one of them refuses not to boot (at least for now).

One was being charged with the charger that came with it. The other was just plugged in using a standard USB cable to a laptop.

Wow. That's scary. I'm glad that I don't have the problem.

Are you charging them with a case on?

Personally, I would ask for a repair/new device because it's bad news if a device starts doing that this early.

You mean like this. Samsung smartphones have a reputation for having a finicky charging and overheating issues. This is especially true on their thin Galaxy S2 series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burning hot-sc20110918-204941.jpg  

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
    You mean like this. Samsung smartphones have a reputation for having a finicky charging and overheating issues. This is especially true on their thin Galaxy S2 series.
    I have never seen this or have had the issue with any Sammy phone. I would try plugging into an outlet if not take them back it they are getting very hot something is not running right or something . I like to charge it connected to a usb port for the slow/low power charge and haven't had that happen to me.

I had this same problem as wel! It happened when I first charged to phone. The plug was extremely hot too. I switched out the plug part with the one from my old Evo and haven't had the issue again. I've been keeping an eye on it though. I hope it doesn't happen again.

I have seen this in the EVO Series of phones (Quite a bit on my EVO 3D) where instead of an onscreen pop-up notification, u get a red blinking notification light. The only thing I've experienced thus far is despite not having auto brightness on, my display's backlight will dim & when u go into settings & try to change it back, u will be denied & accompanied by a message maybe not in these exact words: "the display brightness was dimmed to prevent overheating,"

Sounds like defective units to me. I had read about some sporatic overheating issues from owners of the International Galaxy SII, but they were few and far between. I've had ZERO heat issues on mine. In fact it barely feels warm even when I'm giving the GPU a go.

I would test a few more charging cycles on different outlets and such and if it continues, go exchange them.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Mine runs cool as can be even when charging. I would try a different charger or immediately replace the phones.

I'm using the charger from my nexus so 4G & mine doesn't get hot. I can use the phone for everything while it's charging as well.

I've seen this before on a Galaxy S phone. But the only time it would do this is with a heavy app running (like navigation) and connected to a car charger (maybe a cheap car charger) at the same time. Never seen that happen anytime else.

I've tested my E4GT last night connected to my car charger and running navigation and my device did not have this issue. The battery stayed somewhat cool the whole time.

Ive been using the charge that came with and an old Evo 3D charger and have had no issues.

Id swap out the phone now!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 running "The Beginning" by Task650
    Nexus 7 - retired
    Galaxy S3 - retired
    Galaxy Note 2 - retired
    Galaxy Note 3 - Stock

ROM
    Stock

I've noticed with mine, if I leave it on the charger after it has completed charging it will get very hot. During the charging mine doesn't seem to get hot though.

I suspect that the opening post was just to make up a bazaar defect and we will never see him again.

If 2/3 phones overheated with a warning message when charged, there would be hundreds of threads.

If this is really happening to more than one Epic 4G Touch in one house, it is most likely low voltage in the house. As someone immediately said, try charging it at work or in the car and you will most likely see no problem.

If you have the same overheating at work, a friends, and in the car, you have the two phones made that have this problem. Return them. The odds against that are about 1 in a million squared.

If the phones do not overheat when charging at work, a Friends, or in the car, it is your home wiring. [HL]THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS[/HL]. An old house (or new) with bad wiring could have a low voltage problem due to a partial short or incorrect wiring. It is rare but can result in a fire. A simple $20 volt meter from Radio Shack may help you see if you have a problem.

If you really do have this problem, the odds are that it is home wiring. I am an Electrical Engineer. Get it checked out now.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

I have had the phone for almost a week and didn't have the problem until today. I have been charging it with the same charger and in the same outlet. Only thing different was this time I was playing a game while it was charging. All of a sudden the screen started flickering, a warning message popped up and I wasn't able to turn the phone back on for a few mins. This just happened a little bit ago, but when I finally got my phone turned back on I've had some issues. It might be unrelated, but my wifi keeps turning off every few seconds. Would that issue be related to overheating? Also, should I try another charger or get a replacement phone while I still can?
    thanks for any help.

I charge phone every night and it does not get warm. I'm using a htc usb plug with a monoprice cable.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I suspect that the opening post was just to make up a bazaar defect and we will never see him again.

If 2/3 phones overheated with a warning message when charged, there would be hundreds of threads.

If this is really happening to more than one Epic 4G Touch in one house, it is most likely low voltage in the house. As someone immediately said, try charging it at work or in the car and you will most likely see no problem.

If you have the same overheating at work, a friends, and in the car, you have the two phones made that have this problem. Return them. The odds against that are about 1 in a million squared.

If the phones do not overheat when charging at work, a Friends, or in the car, it is your home wiring. [HL]THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS[/HL]. An old house (or new) with bad wiring could have a low voltage problem due to a partial short or incorrect wiring. It is rare but can result in a fire. A simple $20 volt meter from Radio Shack may help you see if you have a problem.

If you really do have this problem, the odds are that it is home wiring. I am an Electrical Engineer. Get it checked out now.
    Seriously ..this has nothing to do with with your wiring ..lol.. its the phone ..mine does the same thing.. this is why the phone is Google back today.. way too many issues

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

Seriously, goodbye

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls
    Cobravision likes this.

Mine got very warm the first couple days of use.
    I discharged 3 times to 5% every since then battery stays cool to lite warm during heavy use and charge.
    Give it a try give battery needs time to break in.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

Had the same problem with my 1st one, would randomly get hot while idle too. Exchanged and they thought it might be defective power cord? New one has gotten hot, but not as hot; cool as a cucumber right now after charging for 3 hours with cord other than the one supplied.

Weird thing happened to me yesterday. Had the ET4G in a leather case attached to my belt, when I heard it rebooting. I pulled it out and immediately noticed the phone was extremely HOT! It was rebooting itself too. I didn't have any apps running (to my knowledge). I also noticed my battery meter cut in half. It was at about 80% when I put it in the case and dropped to 35% when I pulled it out. It was in the case no more than 10 mins.

After that incident, apps are now foreclosing constantly. Basic apps like facebook, dolphin hd, pandora, you tube, vevo. Before foreclosing, the apps would become unresponsive. Actually the entire phone becomes unresponsive. The buttons on the bottom, screen, become unresponsive and sometimes lead to the phone rebooting itself all together.

This wasn't happening the first week I've had the phone. Considering hard resetting the phone. However, don't know if that will help at all. I have a few days left to return or exchange the phone since I purchased it on the 21st.

Right now the phone is working ok again. Might still hard reset it, if problem happens again. Really wish the 14 days were 30. Sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Sounds like defective units to me. I had read about some sporatic overheating issues from owners of the International Galaxy SII, but they were few and far between. I've had ZERO heat issues on mine. In fact it barely feels warm even when I'm giving the GPU a go.

I would test a few more charging cycles on different outlets and such and if it continues, go exchange them.
    I'm on my second s2 in 3 weeks. that is only because the replacement took a week to get. The replacement runs even hotter. I like the phone a lot but I need it to work right because I use it all day for my job. There are a lot of post when I search it. I'm really looking for a solution. Has anyone successful resolved this heating problem?

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I have had the same problem since purchasing mine a month ago. And you guys were talking about it in sept. I have found that it only over heats when trying to operate apps while it's charging. If I plug it in and leave it, it doesn't get hot.

Both my epic 4g touch and galaxy tab will get very hot if playing games while charging. It doesn't happen all the time but maybe once a month or so. Also it has only happened when playing Gameloft games. Sometimes the graphics well glitch in the game our the games will run choppy. If I unplug the charger the phone will cool down. I haven't been able to recreate it recently but everyone I've seen it happened I was playing either Backstab HD or modern combat. Maybe a coincidence?
    Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Well the problem is from a combination of overclocking and the stock app update manager. (runs in the back ground for google and sprint) When i first got my e4gt i had the exact same problem. Got super hot. Especially while charging. Now the reason you're having problems with your apps is because your el29\30 stock roms are programmed to kill apps and unnecessary background processes during over heating to prevent extended over heating and possibly frying the dual Core processor. Now you have a few options. 1. You can turn it off and let it cool down naturally. 2. You can get all ghetto and as long as its frost free, you can take out the battery and put both battery and phone in the freezer for about 5 min. 4. You can take it back and get a different phone BUT , it wont be as good and ya know it. or... You can join the rest of us hackers here in the forums and run over too xda developers.com and epic4gtouchroot.com and do the following. 1. Root your phone. All you need is an internet connection and a pc. Look it up its totally worth it. (you can get FREE wifi hotspot, faster download speeds and more) 2.after gaining root access to your phone, go to xda developers and download and flash caulkins e4gt 2 v3.1 to your device. Problem solved. Caulkins rom gives you faster speeds without over clocking, or over heating and also extends your battery life by 70%! not to mention it comes repacked with cwm recovery/restore and free sprint wifi hotspot hacked. There's too many other tweaks to mention. I am running this rom on my e4gt and haven't had any over heaTing problems since. Way to go caulkin! Thanks to him and everyone at xda and e4gt root!
    Thanked by:
    Foulwx