800MHz or EVDO RevB

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
800mhz support is listed in the FCC docs when this phone cleared.

Regarding EVDO RevB ...

UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? – GizmoFusion

Not all current phones support EVDO Rev B, but we do know at a minimum the Evo 3D and Epic Touch 4G both in fact have Rev B compatible chips out of the box. Lets hope this one pan?s out.

Data speeds may be getting better for us Sprint customers soon. Just in time for the iPhone eh? I really hope this rumor has some teeth to it.

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Any updates to this? Will the entire 3g network be upgraded to this, as in it won't be like 4g where on certain areas get it?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Any updates to this? Will the entire 3g network be upgraded to this, as in it won't be like 4g where on certain areas get it?

I think we're going to have to wait until Oct 7th to get any specifics, assuming the rumors hold water in the first place. There's a lengthy thread on the XDA EVO 3D forums going on this subject if you want to dig into it a bit.

NismoZ

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think we're going to have to wait until Oct 7th to get any specifics, assuming the rumors hold water in the first place. There's a lengthy thread on the XDA EVO 3D forums going on this subject if you want to dig into it a bit.

Any link to that?

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not quite wimax speeds, but its definitely faster than rev. a. Wimax has a peak of 128 mbit/s, while rev. b tops out at 14.7 mbit/s. So, figure about double the current top end for rev. a.

Well my average wimax speeds are 2-4 at home and 8 at work. That's what I was going by. I would expect something in that range realistically.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh no ...

So I was looking over the ifixit.com teardown here ...

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

and on the list of chips on the motherboard is "Qualcomm QSC6085 CDMA Processor".

In this chip's press release, it said:

Qualcomm has announced the new QSC6085 single-chip product for CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A. This will deliver up to 1.8 Mbps speed on the reverse link and 3.1 Mbps on the forward link. The QSC6085 solution is pin- and software-compatible with previous-generation QSC products, including the QSC6055, QSC6065 and QSC6075. Separately, Qualcomm has announced the new Mobile Station Modem (MSM) MSM7850 chipset supporting CDMA2000 1x-EV-DO Rev. B. The company's recent field tests of EV-DO Rev. B resulted in average data rates of 9.3 Mbps on the downlink over 5MHz of spectrum. The MSM7850 device chipset provides support for EV-DO Rev. B with full backward compatibility, and is scheduled to sample in 2007

I'm no tech guru, and it's certainly possible I'm missing something as I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, but it looks to me like the Qualcomm chip in the Epic 4G Touch DOES NOT support EVDO Rev B.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh no ...

So I was looking over the ifixit.com teardown here ...

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

and on the list of chips on the motherboard is "Qualcomm QSC6085 CDMA Processor".

In this chip's press release, it said:

I'm no tech guru, and it's certainly possible I'm missing something as I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, but it looks to me like the Qualcomm chip in the Epic 4G Touch DOES NOT support EVDO Rev B.

That's disappointing.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I have messages off to Bryan at GizmoFusion and posted a question on iFixit. On the motherboard image for the E4GT, the Qualcomm chip is covered with a white label, so you can't see the actual model number stamped on the chip. I guess there's a chance that it was mislabeled when the guide was posted. Those tear down guys seem pretty detailed though, so I'm not exactly optimistic about that.

I'd be pretty bummed if Sprint started rolling out EVDO Rev B and this phone wasn't able to take advantage of it. I know it's all "what if", and we are dealing with Sprint here, but meh I can't help but feel a bit bummed at the moment.

Maybe I'm wrong. I do hope so.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I have messages off to Bryan at GizmoFusion and posted a question on iFixit. On the motherboard image for the E4GT, the Qualcomm chip is covered with a white label, so you can't see the actual model number stamped on the chip. I guess there's a chance that it was mislabeled when the guide was posted. Those tear down guys seem pretty detailed though, so I'm not exactly optimistic about that.

I'd be pretty bummed if Sprint started rolling out EVDO Rev B and this phone wasn't able to take advantage of it. I know it's all "what if", and we are dealing with Sprint here, but meh I can't help but feel a bit bummed at the moment.

Maybe I'm wrong. I do hope so.

At least we don't get nothing, we get some more coverage. I'm just trying to stay optimistic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon