Epic 4G Touch Getting Started: Tips, Tricks, FAQ's & Tutorials

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Epic 4G Touch Getting Started: Tips, Tricks, FAQ's & Tutorial

Just figured out a trick...

From the "Applications" folder press and hold an app icon and the phone vibes and goes to the home screen to leave a shortcut. Nice.

Ya, not to be rude or nothing but I found that out yrs ago when the HTC Hero came out

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Language Issue with Swype:

I've read about a lot of people having trouble with the Swype keyboard, and finding their language keeps getting set to Spanish. Well, there is a button between the SYM and Comma buttons on the bottom row which changes the language setting. It's the little globe with capital letters below it. It's in a terrible place, being squeezed between two often used keys.

Here's a solution. Hold that button down, and a menu will pop up which will allow you to DE-SELECT Spanish as a language option.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

A trick I just found.
From the messages folder where it shows allow your conversations....swipe right and it calls that contact, swipe left and it goes to messages

Edit: also works in contacts

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
That one is so good that I added it in the 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch:

It's the Gesture that Counts
TouchWiz 4 adds a number of nice gestures and motion shortcuts (video). To enable: Tap Home >Menu > Settings > Motion settings.
? Contacts: Swipe right on a contact to call the contact or swipe left to text the contact.
? Mute: Turn the phone face down to mute an incoming call or sound.
? Homescreen: Tilt the phone left or right to move pages. Pinch in to see all pages. Swipe left or right on the dots to quickly move pages.
? Brightness: Long-press the notification bar and swipe left or right to manually change brightness if not set to Auto. (Setup)
? Scroll: Many apps let you use three finger scrolling to scroll faster or use two fingers to stop instantly without any momentum.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

When watching a video using Media Hub or the video player, if you press the volume button and the power button at the same time it will lock the screen and soft buttons to prevent interuption during video playback. Pressing them again will unlock it. Found this one accidentally and it took forever for me to figure out how to unlock it! :)

Reactions: Gator352

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to show the bookmarks for the stock browser? I have been looking but to no avail!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to show the bookmarks for the stock browser? I have been looking but to no avail!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

In browser press menu then click the icon next to the url bar on the right

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

Reactions: milominderbinde

Hykes86

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Heya guys, I jz got the Epic 4G Touch few days ago and I got few questions about it. How do you guys get the phone to last more than a day?. I can't get mine to go past 9 hours, I don't really use it heavily and no widgets running. I checked the battery usage for the Android OS it state 42%, how do you keep it below 30%?. I really really appreciate any help or tips you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

neotoky

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I am having the same issue with battery and android os. I didn't notice the battery problem until I woke up today and checked my mother's phone. I went to sleep with the battery at 70%. I woke up 7 hours later and saw that it dropped to 31%!!!! I checked the battery usage on the phone and it showed a whopping 63% from android os!

The only sync settings or frequency settings I made was on stock e-mail app and the accuweather widget while having 3g on of course. I set the email app frequency to once a day and the weather widget to every 12 hours. I don't understand how they would be battery killers if I set the frequencies so high. The phone isn't rooted so I don't have any custom roms or kernels installed. Should I root my mother's phone and install a kernel so see it helps?

I didn't notice before because I received the phone on the 22nd and I have been playing it constantly and recharged it every night except for last night when I noticed the issue.

Will this be covered under the warranty after the 14 days if it is a phone issue? I ordered it online through Sprint and I don't want to go through the trouble of returning by mailing it back. Can I do it instore? I don't really know the Sprint policies since I have T-mobile. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post.

btw I also have auto sync off with background data on.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Heya guys, I jz got the Epic 4G Touch few days ago and I got few questions about it. How do you guys get the phone to last more than a day?. I can't get mine to go past 9 hours, I don't really use it heavily and no widgets running. I checked the battery usage for the Android OS it state 42%, how do you keep it below 30%?. I really really appreciate any help or tips you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

first welcome ... i have posted some links for you to read over. any questions you have for those issues you can post in them to get some help and answers.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...hours-down-26-bad-battery-something-else.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/120447-android-os-over-60-a.html

longbow

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Language Issue with Swype:

I've read about a lot of people having trouble with the Swype keyboard, and finding their language keeps getting set to Spanish. Well, there is a button between the SYM and Comma buttons on the bottom row which changes the language setting. It's the little globe with capital letters below it. It's in a terrible place, being squeezed between two often used keys.

Here's a solution. Hold that button down, and a menu will pop up which will allow you to DE-SELECT Spanish as a language option.

Thanks! That has been driving me crazy ever since I got this phone. :D

Hykes86

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

first welcome ... i have posted some links for you to read over. any questions you have for those issues you can post in them to get some help and answers.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...hours-down-26-bad-battery-something-else.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/120447-android-os-over-60-a.html

Thanks alot for the help, really appreciate it. I'm gonna go check those threads. Thanks again. :)

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

TRICK:

In the app drawer you can pinch the screen and it gives you the sense like view of the app drawer pages. This is very hand for a guy who doesn't do the folders but wants to navigate fast.

Love finding all these little things. I've had a lot of android phones and tried a lot of custom android roms on those phones. And I must say this thing is chalked full of little tricks that make if feel like a home brewed rom.

AlisonSmith81

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Hi,

Thank you for all the information!!!!
I'm thinking to buy it :)
And this information is very useful :)
Are you happy to have this phone? Or better Iphone?

Thanks!

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I can kinda use pinch to minimize the web browser and go to window mode , haven't perfected it yet. Not really sure what triggers it specifically, anyone?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

See the 30+ Hours Battery Life on the Galaxy S II-How Long Can You Go?

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone 5 does not even come close to the Epic 4G Touch.

While I have and love the Epic 4G Touch, how can you make this blanket statement when you have no idea what the iPhone 5 is going to feature? Suppose they release a quad-core, 4.5" retina display, 6mm thick, 3 oz monster? No one will know which is better for sure until Oct 4th.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Hi all,

I am trying to find out what the little hole just above the volume rocker, my silicone case even has a cut out for this hole:?

Its not listed in the big manual that I download from Android Central.

Thanks!

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for making another message!

What does it mean to 'Share' or 'Share an Application'?

The manual doesn't really explain what 'Sharing' means. To share an application sounds strange to me?

Thanks!

Rob

PS I'm an Android newbie, coming from WebOS. I have been loving the Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4G Touch! I'm now down to learning the little buried stuff! I'm reading this whole thread tonight!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I am trying to find out what the little hole just above the volume rocker, my silicone case even has a cut out for this hole:?
I can't find a reference for it. iFixIt did a tear down and maythey found out?

It is an Ethernet device so maybe that hole is so extra Ether can escape? :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie