Android OS over 60+%

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah graffix has a point here, I'm not sure how valid any of these concerns really are. What we would need are absolute numbers for OS usage which don't really exist AFAIK. Because the task manager shows the OS usage as a percent everything has to add up to 100%. So your OS% may be high, but it just as well may be because you have nothing else running as opposed to there being an actual problem. With nothing else running something has to make up the majority of the 100%, which would most likely be the OS.

This has been my observation as well. If I don't use my phone much, and my screen if off for a long period of time, Android OS always shows at the highest %. As soon as I use my phone for a reasonable period of time, Display jumps to the top as the highest % by far and Android OS drops to high single digit or low double digit percentages.

Rockser2g#AC

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When I first got the phone on the 16th, the battery life was amazing. Over the last couple of days it has been awful. Today it was really bad so I un installed a bunch of apps, and restarted the phone. It jumped down from 50ish% to below 10%. Does this make sense?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
When I first got the phone on the 16th, the battery life was amazing. Over the last couple of days it has been awful. Today it was really bad so I un installed a bunch of apps, and restarted the phone. It jumped down from 50ish% to below 10%. Does this make sense?

all depends on what you are doing. I can get about 30 hours constantly with minimum use. Today was the day i was able to test it out as i would use it normally at work. about 50 text 30 mins thru out the day browsing the web and checking my feeds FB,G+ ect... used GPS and G-music for about 20 mins together and just G-music for 20 mins coming home. about 5 3 min calls... tried to play third blade a few times but would close after a minute or so. unplugged at 6am and got home at 5pm still had around 35% left just plugged it in with 28% left. For what i need it to do and my usage the battery rocks. My Epic would have needed the charger by 1pm at 15% or so...

I do check task manager a few times a day and clear the cache.

Last edited:

Rockser2g#AC

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
all depends on what you are doing. I can get about 30 hours constantly with minimum use. Today was the day i was able to test it out as i would use it normally at work. about 50 text 30 mins thru out the day browsing the web and checking my feeds FB,G+ ect... used GPS and G-music for about 20 mins together and just G-music for 20 mins coming home. about 5 3 min calls... tried to play third blade a few times but would close after a minute or so. unplugged at 6am and got home at 5pm still had around 35% left just plugged it in with 28% left. For what i need it to do and my usage the battery rocks. My Epic would have needed the charger by 1pm at 15% or so...

I do check task manager a few times a day and clear the cache.

Thats what my battery life used to be like. I guess I will just see how things go tomorrow...

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has been getting better still have some android os wake locks, but I am sitting at over 50% left with light to medium usage over the last 15 hours

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

anon(406518)

Jul 13, 2011
www.theadultgamer.com
Guys, if you aren't using the phone that much of course the OS is going to use up the highest percent of the battery... because you're not using anything else!! Try making a few long phone calls or playing some games and see how low your OS % is and how high the other %s are.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Guys, if you aren't using the phone that much of course the OS is going to use up the highest percent of the battery... because you're not using anything else!! Try making a few long phone calls or playing some games and see how low your OS % is and how high the other %s are.

My Evo 3D sits on my desk with all radios on and I havent touched it in about 15 hours and the OS is at 4% and never goes above 10% ever really.

This is a software bug in the phone. Whether its a bad batch of phones we dont know yet.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

The last thing to talk about with respect to battery life is the infamous “AOS Bug,” where AOS references the Android OS line item in the battery use window. I’ve read just about everything there is I could find on this bug, and believe it to just be related to how Android reports this metric based on CPU time that a process and its children use. Some have speculated this is something which has showed up with dual core SoCs. To be completely honest, I don’t put much stock in the line-item breakdown of battery use to begin with, what I look at is the graph view. Either way, the battery numbers above speak for themselves, and SGS2 battery life is definitely superior to the predecessor, AOS issue or not.

It isn't a Sprint thing or just limited to the Epic Touch.

bmatt0516

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, just wanted to comment that my battery life went from aboit 10 to 12 hours to 28 to 32 by switching roaming settings. The problem even occurred at my work, where I have full signal. These battery times are similar to my epic 4G in the same environment. My guess is some bug similar to the signal search bug on the original epic where you had to toggle airplane mode to fix it.

bmatt0516

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Haha on another note, at home with wifi and poor signal im at about 2 hours off charge and 99% battery still, just turning off roaming... Hopefully they fix this, cause this is a bit ridiculous.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just took my epic touch in to the sprint store and told them about the issue (50-75% Android OS usage) i've been having they did a diagnostic on it and the phone failed the signal portion of the diagnostic so they gave me a new device hopefully this one wont have the same issues as the last one.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I just took my epic touch in to the sprint store and told them about the issue (50-75% Android OS usage) i've been having they did a diagnostic on it and the phone failed the signal portion of the diagnostic so they gave me a new device hopefully this one wont have the same issues as the last one.

Try turning off roaming this time

~will work for food~

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I did that all day yesterday and still had the issue. I didn't think that would be the issue tho since I was on wifi most all all day.

Eveyone must understand we have a radio for voice and a radio for data. So being on wifi covers data then what...

~will work for food~

bmatt0516

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I really dont think the android os being 50 - 70% is a problem. Mine is 53% now with good battery life. Its either going to be android os or display in most scenarios taking up the majority or the battery... It was high when I had roaming on and it was killing my battery and high when my battery is doing well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88