Launcher recommendations

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and plan to get the Epic Touch pretty soon (first smartphone!)

Although I'm new to Android, I've read as much as I could in terms of the different UI from the different manufacturers and noticed the positive changes for the newest TouchWiz UI.

For the folks who have the Epic Touch and are familiar with the TouchWiz UI and other launchers, are there launchers you would recommend over the TW and as to why you would choose it over the stock TW 4.0? I guess what I'm trying to say is, it seems like Samsung has made enough improvements to the UI that a custom launcher from the market really isn't necessary?

Thanks in advance!

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Go Launcher is the best as far as customization go IMHO at the moment & the one I have currently choose over Touch Wiz. If Touch Wiz had more customizations I would definitely be using it as it is optimized for our phones

Reactions: skyo12

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I rather like the new TouchWiz. I've been running Go Launcher EX the past few days, and I really like it. But I'm going to factory reset back to stock and run TouchWiz for awhile to get used to how the phone handles notifications and such out of the box.

I would run TouchWiz for awhile and see how you like it. Popular 3rd party launchers are Launcher Pro Plus, ADW Launcher and Go Launcher EX. Of the three, Go Launcher is the only one that's free for the full version. Still, to answer your question, TouchWiz 4.0 is darn good in my opinion, but some of the launchers could add some functionality that you may like.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Assuming the Epic Touch is powerful enough to handle most skins without a problem, what launcher do you guys think is the most aesthetically pleasing?

I understand it's all subjective but I'd like some opinions :)

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Assuming the Epic Touch is powerful enough to handle most skins without a problem, what launcher do you guys think is the most aesthetically pleasing?

Well that will be up to the user as they all can be skinned to your liking...

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I rather like the new TouchWiz. I've been running Go Launcher EX the past few days, and I really like it. But I'm going to factory reset back to stock and run TouchWiz for awhile to get used to how the phone handles notifications and such out of the box.

I would run TouchWiz for awhile and see how you like it. Popular 3rd party launchers are Launcher Pro Plus, ADW Launcher and Go Launcher EX. Of the three, Go Launcher is the only one that's free for the full version. Still, to answer your question, TouchWiz 4.0 is darn good in my opinion, but some of the launchers could add some functionality that you may like.

I don't know anything about TouchWiz or Samsung but thinking about switching to Samsung in the future. You can't just revert back to TouchWiz without doing a factory reset? Is there an option in the settings that will let you switch back without the reset?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Well as far as aesthetics go, I don't think it's possible to beat SPB Shell 3D, but it costs a whopping $15. As you said though, this is pretty subjective. Still, this thing is a sight to behold.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.spb.shell3d&hl=en

Here is Android Central's video review of it:

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well as far as aesthetics go, I don't think it's possible to beat SPB Shell 3D, but it costs a whopping $15. As you said though, this is pretty subjective. Still, this thing is a sight to behold.

Ah I forgot about SPB Shell...

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about TouchWiz or Samsung but thinking about switching to Samsung in the future. You can't just revert back to TouchWiz without doing a factory reset? Is there an option in the settings that will let you switch back without the reset?

Oh I should have specified. Yes I can just swap back to TW if I want, but I want to go back to a clean slate and get rid of all the apps I've installed. I've been installing a lot of apps that have notification functions, and some of them are not playing nice with each other. I want to start from scratch so I can add things slowly and get everything exactly how I want it.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I use Go Launcher and Love it but I really wanted to try TouchWiz but not being able to change the home dock is a biggie for me. I use Go SMS Pro and tried to change the messaging icon but couldn't find a way.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, on a day when I feel like I have some extra cash to burn, I will probably buy SPB Shell 3D, if only to enjoy the experience and to try it. Coming from a Palm Pre, all these options, skins and customizations have my mouth watering. I feel like a kid who won a $10,000 shopping spree at Toys R Us. :p

Duggald

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Go Launcher and Love it but I really wanted to try TouchWiz but not being able to change the home dock is a biggie for me. I use Go SMS Pro and tried to change the messaging icon but couldn't find a way.

Go into the Applications drawer, and press menu, then "edit"

You'll then notice the screen changes a bit, with little minus signs at the top right corner of icons.

Press and hold the Messaging icon on the dock, and drag it into the app drawer. You'll now only have 3 icons in your dock.

Press and hold Go SMS Pro from the app drawer and drag it to the dock icons. It'll squeeze itself in.

You now have Go SMS in your dock. :D Just press back to exit Edit mode.

As a sidenote, I prefer Go Launcher Ex also. <3

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
coming from a palm pre i must say that touch wiz has been great. i dont know if its because i dont know much about andoird but i dont know much i would want to change that it cant. i was in the same boat thinking that i would want to change launchers when coming over but i really dont see any reason to imo. love this phone!

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was forced into getting SPB Shell 3D due to the fact that this was my first time buying a new phone with the same OS as the one before it. Yeah the hardware was better than my Evo 4G, but it still felt like I was using the same phone. So I ended up buying SPB shell just to ad to the feeling of having a new phone by changing things up a bit.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was forced into getting SPB Shell 3D due to the fact that this was my first time buying a new phone with the same OS as the one before it. Yeah the hardware was better than my Evo 4G, but it still felt like I was using the same phone. So I ended up buying SPB shell just to ad to the feeling of having a new phone by changing things up a bit.

How do you like SPB Shell?

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
How do you like SPB Shell?

I bought it just morning and I am still trying to customize it. It has lots of eye candy but the jury is still out on the $14.99. I have used Go Launcher, Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher EX. This just has an entirely different feel and look than all of them. I think that SPB shell is a good launcher that should hold anyone over until ICS rolls out. I am told that ICS is supposed to be a major overhaul of Android. Is this so?

Reactions: BRIVERS73