FYI re Restocking Fee if you return your device

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I signed up with Sprint just for the E4GT. Turns out, I got no signal at my office, whereas Verizon gets a great signal, so I returned and cancelled my line.

They tried to charge me a $35 restocking fee. I politely asked where the return policy mentions a restocking fee for a return, as opposed to an exchange (it DOES mention restocking fees for exchanges). The Sprint guy got very hostile and argumentative, kept saying "it's our policy, you have to pay it, everybody has restocking fees now." And I kept replying "I will happily pay it... just show me in writing something that says I owe it for a RETURN." Took about 15 minutes, but eventually he admitted he could not find it anywhere in writing, and that since I was returning and canceling the line he would not charge the restocking fee.

I don't know if I just got lucky, but it appears Sprint should NOT be charging a restocking fee if you return your E4GT and cancel the line you opened it on. So if they try to charge you a restocking fee on your return, ask to see the policy in writing. They likely won't be able to produce and will agree not to charge it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
EDIT - Opps lol I misread the policy myself

Yeah there is nothing in the new return/exchange policy that says there is a restocking fee on full refunds. Only for exchanges. Now if you bought it from an authorized 3rd party retailer, it could be different. Assuming you bought it from a corporate store, the guy either didn't understand the new policy or he was looking for someone to buy his family dinner that night.

Source: Sprint 30-day Return and Exchange Policy

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Its funny cause the girl that sold me my phone didnt even know as much as I did when it came to the new return policy. She even asked how I knew about the new 14 day return policy which she failed to mention. Then after I told her it was on the screen she sounded completely caught off guard! Im willing to bet the management is telling the sales associates not to even mention it!

Glad you got your money back though! I love sprint but Im a firm believer in sticking it to the Corp Giants every chance I get!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice thing about Best Buy Mobile, no restocking fee. They took back my Photon as an exchange for the Epic Touch (ok I'm not typing out the full name anymore).

I'll have to keep an eye on my Sprint bill to be certain but they told me I was ok

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mike, just keep inn mind those new policies only began on the 16th of this month so it would't apply to your Photon Purchase.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually when I bought my Photon back on August 22nd the contract they emailed me from Best Buy included the phrase "May be subject to a $35 dollar restocking fee". I'm not sure that the restocking fee is really a new policy.

Attached crop from the contract.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Damb! That sucks but sounds like you got away scott free!

Not sure why I never got charged that when returning mine either. Guess, sprint is simply cracking down as of the 16th policy changes!

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the policies always been there they just never really enforced it. Especially not on Premier Customers. Just a guess on my part though.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have no idea what the ACTUAL policy is. But when I asked the Sprint guy to show me something---ANYTHING---in writing that said a restocking fee applied to returns, as opposed to exchanges, he was not able to do so.

Maybe it was Sprint's intention for restocking fees to apply to returns starting on 9/16, but unless and until they have that in writing somewhere official, nobody should have to pay it.

Bottom line: If you opened a new line for your E4GT and you return it and cancel the line, you probably should not be paying a restocking fee. If they try to charge you one, ask to see the policy in writing, and they won't be able to.

P.S. My experience was at a Sprint corporate store. And indeed, I was dealing with the assistant manager himself, who you'd think would be very familiar with the return policy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig